Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Mobile Phones abroad (how to)

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  androidGB 
#1 ·
A lot of useful information regarding the use of Mobile phones abroad has been lost when the HD's failed, I know it's old ground and common knowledge to a lot of members, however 'first timers' may benefit from this info:

Mobile telephones are among the top five most popular travelling items taken overseas, and are a good way of staying in touch with your family and friends back home. The network service that allows you to use your UK mobile telephone abroad is called international roaming. Use the following tips to be well prepared.

Before you go remember to:
contact your UK mobile network provider to ensure your mobile phone is enabled for international roaming, do this well in advance of your departure date, as it can take up to 14 days, and you can’t do it from overseas
check that your existing handset will work in the country you are travelling to; this may not be the case, particularly outside Europe
check with your UK network provider how much it costs for international roaming services as charges can be very different to calls in the UK. Also, confirm the current charges just before you leave as some charges can change at short notice (although other charges are more stable)

If you intend to use your mobile frequently while abroad
Consider the following options:

some mobile services offer international traveller services giving cheaper calls abroad in return for a monthly fee -check with your network provider what the costs are and how long you would be committed to paying for the service
it is usually cheaper to use an alternative ‘SIM’ card in your phone, (a SIM card is a small card that lets the phone work on a particular mobile network. It can easily be swapped around in your phone)
SIM cards for foreign networks can be bought abroad (eg at international airports and Ferry Ports), or (for some European countries) from some UK retailers. Find out if the alternative SIM cards will expire after a fixed time
you should be able to rent a mobile telephone handset for the duration of your stay from most mobile telephone companies in the country you are visiting
if you are particularly concerned about coverage or call quality you may be able to select a particular network for international roaming - ask your network provider whether it offers a choice of networks and how you can change between them
if you are using your own network provider's pre-paid mobile international roaming service, make sure you know how to use your credit card to top up your calling credit before you leave, or take extra vouchers, as they may be hard to obtain abroad
ask your network provider what you have to dial to use international roaming. This may not be as simple as just using the 0044 international prefix for the UK
pre-programme into your mobile the telephone number of the nearest British Embassy, your Motorhome dealer your UK Insurance Co., Breakdown Ins Co. Vet and your GP
Don't forget to take an electrical charger plug, to keep your mobile telephone fully charged while you are abroad.

Mobile phone security
Make a note of your mobile's serial number (also known as the IMEI number), your mobile telephone number and the telephone number of your operator's customer services (including UK dialing code). Keep them with you in a safe place, separate from your mobile.

If your phone is stolen you will be able to contact the network operator in the UK and request that they block your phone and/or SIM card. You may need to provide additional information in order to get the phone blocked, such as a password. Contact your operator for details of how they deal with stolen phones before you leave to ensure that you take sufficient information abroad to enable you to block the phone if it is stolen.

M&D :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi everyone

I think I may have discovered the solution to expensive mobile phone calls from abroad - I hope. I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this one.

I just bought a "Riiing" international sim which claims to work in virtually any country to give you cheap calls (0.39 Euro/min) from anywhere to anywhere together with free incoming calls in about 60 countries. This saves the cost of ringing home on roaming rates and means that you can afford to answer the phone when abroad without incurring the 90p or more reverse charge.

The mobile number allocated is a Leichtenstein (excuse the spelling) number so of course it costs a little more for the folks back home to contact you but taken overall the savings can be significant. I had a breakdown in a hire car in Germany last year and incurred over £40.00 call charges on my UK mobile due to the recovery company calling me to give advice and ascertain exactly where I was.

I can't vouch for its performance overseas yet but I just installed the sim and it seems to work OK in this country. Details can be found on www.riiing.com but don't pay their price if buying one. I got mine from a chap who sells on Ebay for a good bit less - do a search on riiing.

Gaspode

#4 ·
Mobiles on the move

Hi.
While searching old threads for info on taking your mobile abroad & I came across this one,
Very informative thanks MandyandDave,
I wonder because the thread is over two years old and there was a shake up in rules this year about charges :?
Can anyone tell me which sim card/company is best for europe?
I want one mainly for France,Spain & Portugal initially but all of Europe would be great long term.
If anyone has advice or experience of prices/charges and practical use it would be great to hear from you. :D
Many thanks 1happy.

#7 ·
mobile phones

Mobile phones in Europe!! simply visit any phone shop and buy a sim card pack .25 € ask to be put on lowest rate , (tarif) the pack includes about 25 worth of calls.and your new number. mobile phone roaming rates have gone down this year by order of the EU. mobile phone co's complaining about how much its cost them, min 21cents. Internet simply call in local tourist office or local library or Internet cafe. we go weeks without internet, not a problem . always thought you escaped all this when you went on travels . talk to each other. go walking! play games do ,anything but use a mobile phone!

#8 ·
We use: oneroam

We're lucky.
We have a sim free mobile phone given to us by our daughter and which we keep with the oneroam card in it.

When we go abroad we use it and when she goes off to Mallorca for her holiday we pass it back to her.
We all have the oneroam number in our UK mobiles.

You can purchase a Starter Pack for just £12.99 (ex VAT) This consists of:
A Oneroam SIM card
€5 (£3.50) of free call credit
A User guide in English
Your new number to distribute before you travel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.