Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to France shortly.

There's a been a lot of talk on here about the Nationwide cards.
What product is it I'm looking for exactly?

I would like something that cuts down on the transaction fees and charges a realistic exchange rate.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
Barclays are not going to charge Commission for money spent in Europe there is a notice in my Bank at Whitstable.

Nationwide Hez you need the bankers card I believe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hezbez said:
Going to France shortly.

There's a been a lot of talk on here about the Nationwide cards.
What product is it I'm looking for exactly?

I would like something that cuts down on the transaction fees and charges a realistic exchange rate.

Thanks
Open a Nationwide FlexAccount and apply for their visa credit card.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Locovan is correct, credit card if drawing cash will as I understand it incur charges, the debit card does'nt but make sure you have money in your account...

Carol

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys.

I am thinking the Nationwide debit card is probably the best bet for 'switch' type payments and for the occasional cash withdrawal.

I see that they are starting to charge a 1% visa fee in quite a few countries though. (Luckily France is not one of them).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nationwide Credit Card Abroad

Hi. We always use a Nationwide Credit Card when travelling abroad. We have no other accounts with Nationwide, but had no problem getting the credit card. They do free transaactions and find the exchange rate is always a little better. We always inform them where we might travel as if they suspect fraudulant use, we stop it. Could recommend it, and you speak to customer services in the UK. DK66

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Hi,

We use our Nationwide flexaccount DEBIT card and have rarely had problems using it to withdraw cash at a good exchange rate and no fee throughout Europe although some German Banks ATM's rejectcted it but there is usually another ATM nearby :) Usually works in shops in France ok but not in German and Austrian supermarkets so we make sure we have enough cash with us.

Also make sure you pay the bill in Euros not in GBP if offered the choice at the till as the shop's exchange rate will be lousy :(

I believe any cash withdrawal here and abroad using any CREDIT card will incur a fee as it's a cash advance ie a loan :(

Also It specifically states on the Nationwide website that you don't need to notify them when going abroad.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.