Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spent the weekend at a site near Poole in Dorset, not realising there was a half term we had a bit of a problem getting a site but eventually managed to get onto this site
All description, advertsing stated level sites etc. but on arrival were shown a pitch that could be described as a blue, I've skiied shallower slopes!
Having declined the pitch i was shown to the only alternative which was very small, was at least relatively flat. This had all the ammenities, the wheelie bin was just to the left of my door and the fire extinguishers on a post to my right.
Imagine somewhat surprise later on returning to the van to find another van parked across the front of mine, about 6ft away, now instead of watching the world go past I could watch him cooking his dinner.
I have never seen so many people packed into one site, on a hard standing that should be sized for 2 vans they had put 4, you couldn't have wound out an awning as that would have hit the next van.
This site cost £25.00 per night
If you need to know the name of the site for future reference, email me
David

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hello David

Please PM the details as I want to avoid this site at all costs. Having said that I think you ought to name and sham the site here so all others could avoid it also

Motorhomer

·
Registered
478 Posts
We were in Scarborough Bank Holiday weekend luckily we booked onto a site for only £10 a night.
We left early sunday evening to beat the Bank holiday traffic and the owners offered to refund the £10 fee for that night,also offered to come pick us up from Scarborough if we miised the last bus from town on the Saturday night.
That is beyond helpful.
'Bonnie-Marie' site
But the weekend before we had paid £20 a night in the Lake District with no better facilities and the service was poor.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yeah - don't sites vary a lot (and not just in price either!). We stay at a CL near Gloucester way out in the country and I think it's still only £3.50, has a toilet (not posh) is on a farm and the old farmer often gives us fresh eggs for breakfast or a jar or two of his home made honey. It's a lovely peaceful place too but within easy driving distance to many places. He even gave us a large bottle of home made sherry once!! We always buy him a gift too or take something with us. He's very deaf unfortunately so a conversation is difficult but he enjoys a bit of company. Ana xx

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Can Trading Standards be involved in campsites or is there a consumer group which can be used to complain?

It's ok for the later arrivals as they can see the space and have a choice of whether they accept it or not. The early arrival in the space hasn't the same choice and would hardly move on after setting up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I went to the lake district knowing i was going to pay £20/night,and we have tended to use sites with all the mod cons and pay the price.
But this was the first time we had used the cl sites and it was a bit of a eye opener, not only the owners extremley helpful pleasant people but the sites we stopped on were also prime locations ,hardstanding,less crowded ,well kept and also had toilets and hook up ,the prices ranged from £7 - £10, One of the sites even had free showers.Yes i forgot the owners vast knowledge of the local area was of great help.
So i think the cls sites will be getting more of our custom from now on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
rip off britain

hi david
sounds like you found a bad campsite there are a lot off them about..i have just returned from a week in france stayed on six aires and one municipal campsite all for under twenty euro not bad for a week. most off the aires were at yhe side of the beach no probs very safe. the sooner we get british aires and stop over places the better.it will maybe shock the campsite owners into making improvments to their service.

regardsv t.c.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Much as we enjoy company at the shows etc we also love tranquility and many a time, even in summer, we have had a lovely field all to ourselves with great entertainment.. the farm animals!! Lovely scenery and as you say often really friendly site owners. Ana xx

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think generally sites are the same at Bank Holidays. We went to a site in Essex, which was full of kids. We might be trying an adult only soon!! The grandkids can go away with their parents.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Is there a template somewhere that we can print off and complete after visiting each site then post back here sorted by County, Inland/Coastal??

Or if you wish, send me a list of questions you would ask or would like to know about a site prior to your visit.

I will put a template together?

What format should this template be

What do you think?

Bertha

·
Registered
234 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that Planning/Fire and Safety regulations specify the distance between units. Perhaps if the authorities were to inspect sites particularly at busy periods the threat of loosing thier licence may stop this.
Is it that the local authorities want as many people as possible spending cash in their area . Oh but then I always was a synical so on so!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
BERTHA said:
Is there a template somewhere that we can print off and complete after visiting each site then post back here sorted by County, Inland/Coastal??

Or if you wish, send me a list of questions you would ask or would like to know about a site prior to your visit.

What do you think?

Bertha
Good idea Bertha. No idea how to set it up though

motorhomer

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
BERTHA said:

What do you think?

Bertha
Hi Bertha, a Campsite database does exist on here, simply add site and any comments in there, look under Directories in left hand menu bar.

Regards M&D :)

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Cramped camping conditions

We went to a Camping & Caravanning Club field over Bank Holiday in West Sussex - it was very quiet, even the children were cheerful and not at all noisy. We were asked to camp 20 feet apart - I imagine fire regulations apply. We had a tap and an Elsan point and a field of sheep and lambs adjoining us at the farm. Apart from the weather it was wonderful! Excuse my ignorance - cl - what does this stand for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spent Bank Holiday weekend at Telford as hubby wanted to attend a show there in connection with his work. :( We didn't book anywhere as we were not sure if we would be stopping in the area long. However we did decide to stay so I looked in the Caravan Club site book and found a site 8mls from Telford beside a fishing lake and 100yds from the pub. The site didn't have any facilities but at £3per night :D who could complain. The site owner keeps 4 white horses for pulling a carriage with which he hires out for weddings. There were two caravans and a Elddis RG motorhome [hello if it was a MHF member as we didn't get the opportunity to chat] on site and ourselves. We had all sited ourselves and left some 20ft between us. :)

Sunseeker

still seeking the sun 8)

·
Administrator
18,642 Posts
hello sundial;
slunds like you were on a C &CC "CS" - Certified Site or a rally site; the "CL" is the equivalent with the caravan club - Certified Location. They are licensed for member only with basic facilities as aminimum requirement - Water supply & Toilet dump. Some have much more as noted above.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just returned from Holland and had one bad site in 8 weeks

De Hooge Bijschel near Nunspeet

this was booked through the Caravan Club

the Chemical Emptying point was covered in filies and the showers (advertised as Modern) were of 1950's vintage
The new ones being 1/2 mile away by the 'Surf School'

If this is the standard of sites booked through the CC we will continue to go with the C&CC and Camping Cheques

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Re: Cramped camping conditions

Waters Edge caravan park near Kendal in the Lakes.
Avoid at all cost cos it looks nothing like its web site anymore, God only knows when that photo was take. We fancied it for our yank and called in to see it when we were up in the Lakes with our tent for a change. MY GOD!!!!!!!
Cramped isn't the word, all of the big pitches now have statics on them and how anyone gets more than a Ci Sprite in there I don't know! Wardens live off site so the gits in the tents next to us were laughing and shouting till 2 in the flippin' morning! ( why are tenters always the noisiest when you would have thought they needed to be the quietest?) Cost us 8 quid for a 2 man tent so a 'van will be well pricey! ;-(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.