Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to sell my home and go off for a tour of Europe - say for 5 months (can't come back sooner because of the Pet Passport rules). When we return we shall rent a property while we look for a property to purchase.

Problem: the motorhome insurers have indicated that we must have a UK address (not just a 'care of') which clearly we shall not have while we are away.

Has anyone else come across this and found a solution.

Ray :roll:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the same problem a few years ago. I sold my house and lived in my van for seven months. I travelled around Europe and here. What I did was use my sister's house as an address. As far as we were concerned that was where I was living between trips.
It has been pointed out to me on a forum that it is very wrong to do this sort of thing, but I don't give a toss and I would do the same thing again. With mobile phones and things it's easy to keep in touch with the base address. I do believe there are insurance company's that will insure full timing living in motorhomes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try Comfort Insurance http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/ - I am about to go full-timing. Be honest with them and state what you want to do. I did and Comfort have insured me. It isn't cheap -about a 150% to 200% premium on "normal" m/h insurance (where you do have a permanent address). But when you think about it, I will not be insuring a house, or its contents or another car etc. etc.
And I will be using the m/h far more than 150% to 200% of the time that m/homes are normally used (up to 6 weeks in total per year).
Add in a full year's emergency recovery throughout Europe and I consider it's a bargain.

Of course I could have lied and given my sister-in-law's address - but to take that sort of chance with a £40K motorhome - no thanks.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
merlin said:
I had the same problem a few years ago. I sold my house and lived in my van for seven months. I travelled around Europe and here. What I did was use my sister's house as an address. As far as we were concerned that was where I was living between trips.
It has been pointed out to me on a forum that it is very wrong to do this sort of thing, but I don't give a toss and I would do the same thing again. With mobile phones and things it's easy to keep in touch with the base address. I do believe there are insurance company's that will insure full timing living in motorhomes.
I believe the Caravan Camping Club do.

Motorhomer

·
Registered
2 Posts
We used the CC who were expensive, for a six month trip a few years ago. Although their breakdown and subsequent insurance with courtesy car for a minor bumper problem (plastic bumpers) was excellent.

I have a chum with a similar problem at the mo, he's going out for a max of three months and can't get anyone to insure him, any other suggestions on top of CC and Comfort?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, this where I've ended up. The insurers seem to be paranoid about having an address in the UK 'cos their systems all need a postcode on which to assess risk. So London's expensive - Norfolk is cheaper. They can't function without a postcode, even though I'm not going to be there! If they really had brains they'd ask if I was visiting Paris or other major cities.

They are happy to insure based on my mother-in-law's address or any property I choose to rent. No matter how small - one company even accepted a cupboard. The upshot is that this is all a load of nonsense 'cos the insurers can't cope with the concept of a motorhome. I've been honest with them and will formally rent a 'broom cupboard' at a friends' house who will also look after my post for me.

Ray :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.