Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks in a previous post i have championed the need to become familiar with OBD and diy diagnostics, as I have mentioned on later Fiat ducato, Boxer chassis after 2018 approx. a security gateway SGW was incorporated into the OBD diagnostic port, it is assumed the purpose was to protect the dealer network, from unauthorized access this is not the case, SGW was introduced to deter what is commonly known as OBD theft this I feel Motorhome owners should be aware of and take precautions if needed, google moteringresearch . com and how to keep your car safe with an OBD port locking device, another antitheft device which is mostly overlooked, this post is not intended to add more anxieties to our lives but to add a bit of savvy for those of us with a little more leisure time tend to be from the analogue age not the digital :geek:

· Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm. I regularly use Vagcom and other scanners on my VWs with standard keys (not kessy) , I think the sites that are warning of this are scaremongering a little.

With standard ignition keys there is a merry dance you have to do to get the SKC, then put the car in "learn key mode" and cycle the keys through the ignition (the keys have to fit and work). This trains the ECU to the keys themselves. This is independent to the central locking access which uses a different learning mechanism.

Only after this process will a key work. I've done it many times, it's not a 2 minute job. The tools I use do not have the ability to start the car and drive off, it's just not that simple.
My VWs are circa 2010 so I reserve the right not to panic yet!

I do regard Kessy as a security disaster. I have CCTV footage of my neighbours Merc being stolen using a "suitcase repeater". Never recovered, gone forever.

(y)

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I am as yourself very familiar with Vagcom software from 2005 but since then along came turbo decoder key and then the Peugeot Ctreon V3 key programmer, as long as us folk are aware of the advancements in technology the more chance we have of protecting our assets (y)

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the adapter interface needed to bypass the security gateway this takes a fair bit of time and effort to connect and is then disconnected once any meaningful diagnostics have been executed returning the vehicles OBD port back into a more secure original setting.:)(y)

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I see the risk. Might have a look into pulling a critical pin in the socket.
I do feel the two hidden trackers will do their job if required after that there is always insurance. There is only so much you can do...

I feel the bigger problem is having your MH parked at the front of your house, thieves know your keys are in the property. Exactly why my keys are not where the vehicle is parked!

Interesting times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts