Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anybody help. Has anyone else had a problem with the parking of their motorhome, either on the public highway or on their own property. We recently moved into a new apartment which is above 3 garages, one of which is ours with enough parking for 3 cars.Apparently there is a clause in the developers contract which prohibits the storage of caravans or other houses on wheels. Nobody had a problem until one sly neighbour objected but didnt have the decency to approach us about it, so the first we knew was when we received a letter. If the motorhome is taxed, tested and insured then it is obviously road going and not in storage, is it? It is used most weekends for moto-x so i object to running backwards and forwards to a storage facility when their is enough room to park it where i live. It isn't blocking anybody's view and does not obstruct anything. Wondered if anyone knows the legalities of this situation and also road parking. Any advice welcome, sorry i went on but i am xxxxxx annoyed :evil:

·
Registered
179 Posts
You need to have a look at the contract you signed when you bought your property.

Therein, you should find any of the restrictive covenants to which you agreed .

Covenants can however be overturned. You will need to take legal advice.

Edit:
Some interesting reading HERE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for that advice. In the agreement it states "no reasonable request will be refused" so i suppose asking nicely might help. Only problem now is the developers have sold the land on but also say that the covenant might have a time limit and may have already lapsed.I think it may all be in the wording. Here's hoping, thanks again. :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with LazyRover. Check the agreement. When we bought this house I was amazed at the long list of restrictions such as changing the front door colour (which we have done :twisted: ), planting of certain size trees and shrubs, changing colour of windows, railings and balcony etc. Our development is about 4 years old and there are some people with 5 cars sprawled around their property but no one seems to mind. When I brought my old banger of a camper home and started fixing it up I expected complaints but all I've had is support and encouragment!

The bottom line is it is your home, your vehicle and your life. As long as you are not openly playing bad neighbour just ignore the letter and get on with your life. They can't make you pregnant so what's to worry about? :lol:

Shane.....

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
hi supergranny, if it helps we live on a fairly new development with similar covenants, one of our neighbours has a caravan parked in the front garden, he asked his solicitor to approach the developer on his behalf, and the developer said as far as he was concerned he was happy for neighbour to keep it there as the development was completed. He would however have objected had the development not been complete, as it might have deterred prospective purchasers.
curlyboy

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
We were told once the developer has handed over the site then there is nobody to enforce the the covenant unless the neighbours take you to court.

Andy

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Hi we had a similiar problem about a year ago, although our neighbour hadn't reported us (its a long story) but he threatened the local council etc etc we rang the council they weren't interested, we then checked with highways etc they again were not interested, we rang the developers although we have lived here for over the time the covenant was to last for, again they weren't interested.

The neighbour had originally said he hadn't got a problem with us having a MH live and let live was his actual words, for some reason he changed we don't know why as it def isn't a nuisance to him it is on our drive etc and doesn't affect him in any way light etc etc.

He put a copy of the covenant through our door with the words 'a house on wheels' highlighted...............next time my HUsband saw him he explained to him that it isn't a house on wheels ie a static caravan or a tourer and said it was a taxed and tested PLG vehicle.

Fingers crossed that seemed to be the end of it, I am a reasonable person and if the MH was causing him any problem I would have been fully prepared to come to an amicable solution...............what got us was how nasty he was. His Wife is fine and goes out of her way to speak to us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Simplelife, seems we think along the same lines, just didn't want to break any laws. There is always one stick in the mud who has nothing else to do but read pages and pages of paperwork thus making you feel uneasy every time you drive round the corner. P.S. Don't think i would want him to make me pregnant 8O. To everyone who has taken the trouble to reply, i would like to say thankyou, as i feel a liitle easier now and not intimidated by one persons nasty tactics. Now i have a few replies for him next time he starts. Thanks all. P.S. Will check it out with a solicitor also, just to be ready :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
8O I posted this in 2005 :wink:
Interesting replies.
Look at your house deeds to see how the covenant is written it is generally in schedule 2 or 3.
First check whether or not the restriction is part of the original planning permission-your local council will tell you but do not let them be confused with a caravan restriction which is only there to stop habitation-not parking. If they say it is meant to cover parking of MH ( very unlikely as such specific statements are unusual) then you will have to apply for planning permission alerting everyone to your need!
If the council say no then the enforcement is
1- the person or company that put the covenant on the original land transaction i.e. could have been 50 years ago. They can enforce the covenant in the magistrates court but you can object and may get a symphthetic decision. [You can of course write to the covenantor and ask for a dispensation- has been done and generally costs nothing or £50.]
2-other residents who suffer the same covenant who as a group will need to take you to the magistates court etc.
The idea of covenants is try and keep estates and developments from getting eyesores.
Any actions will cost these people money which they cannot get back from you. If they did start an action remember most houshold policies give cover for legal defence to £50000 on neighbour disputes!
What would I do? Park it on drive and await for any letters (ignoring the anonymous ones) and go from there-if someone is deteremined take it to the wire-there are no fines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.