Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Do I have the most noisy motorhome out
Over anything other than a snooker table type road we are deafened by rattles and sqeaks that seem to come from everywhere imaginable.
I'm talking about cutlery, crockery, gas fire, doors, gas cooker cover etc.
If anyone has any ideas or knows of any products that could give us back our sanity we would be most gratefull

Thanks
Gary & Andrea

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
My other half gets really wound up about rattles, and spends a small fortune on little plastic / rubber button thingies from B&Q etc and sticks them on doors, lids and anything that moves. I tend to use towels, tea towels - hand towels round the really noisy bits, the grill pan and hob lid are the worst in my opinion, and anything that has a gap - fridge contents etc.
Then, just turn up the radio / cd player whatever and sing REALLY loudly :p

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I remember my Dad used to get worked up about rattles in his motorcaravans & used various shape/sized pieces of foam all over the place.
:?
I assumed mine would be bad but perhaps I stuff everything in tighter than he did 'cos it doesn't seem to be a problem - & my poor old van is a lot older than anything he ever had (actually 4 years newer than the last one he had!)
:)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Caz's comment has reminded me - we used to use pipe lagging foam wotsits in the previous van, but I can't remember why? :?
only use them now for the bikes on the rack, put them on the forks to stop them rubbing against each other.
Suppose if we could invent something to buy off the shelf to solve all problems we could make a fortune.
I think it also depends on how much stuff you carry, and how tightly it's packed, I try to keep load to a minimum, everything has to have at least 2 uses. [like driving and emptying the loo, :wink: :p

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Hey Twooks, dont knock your hubby over the rattle situation he is trying to improve your comfort - LOL!
I sent a letter into the A-S Owners club newsletter and referred to Executives as "Milk Floats" (Its known the blinds rattle and there is a cure with a very technical piece of plastic tube) They didnt publish my article and havnt published anything I have sent in since. Previously the former editor printed my stuff monthly - Do you Think I upset them-LOL again!!!

ps: Twooks, why dont you put the Avatar of your van on here that you had on OTG site

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rattles

Our motor home came with lots of pieces of that non slip matting that you see at shows to put on tray to stop plates sliding. The previous owners put pieces of it in the bottom of all the cupboards and between anthing that could rattle, seems to work quite well :) , except for the oven. :evil:
I did see one of the cooker manufactures was adding little silicon anti rattle ring to the oven shelves, but I have not seen these for sale as spare parts yet. :!:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rattles

Thanks everyone
It seems that it is a universal problem
Why manufacturers dont supply anti ratle plate holders,cutlery, gas fire,
ovens as an aftermarket fitment bewilders me as I'm sure there is a market out there.

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I am sure that all will agree, especially the ladies(they notice things more than blokes) when I say that Motorhome and Caravan designers either dont have one or dont have a clue in designing or have certainly never spent a holiday in one

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
One day I would like to find a van from someone who has actually used it.
I know that Barry Stimson and Devon claim to use their vans, and maybe they do, but we don't seem to have the same priorities. Like - rattles!
usable space in small vans, easy storage n stuff. We have a Bilbo van, which has loads of storage, for BIG things, terrific, but then you have to find a way of stopping rattles - still - its nice and flexible that way!
Perhaps the answer is Dr Who's tardis, only streamlined, like ohh
my ideal would probably be a Forester with drop down bed, comfortable lounging seats, for 5 or 6, shower room / loo, sliding door like the camper vans, separate small [don't want to get too carried away!] kitchen area, but with a big fridge - with a wind out full awning and deckchairs. :wink:
and it does about 100 miles to the gallon, whaddyarekon ?

Dodger - I miss my avatar, and hope to have it back soon, watch this space! 8)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi Termie

We were very suprised at how quiet our Autosleeper Trident was, apart from a slight grill chatter and the roof flyscreen cover, which I suspect is actually the spring fitting, there isnt a sound. I think coachbuilds are a little more suseptable since our panel van is primeraly still or attached too the structural elements of the base vehical. Coach builds are a box on a van (no offence) with no were near the money/experience invested in structural design that someone like VW/Ford/Fiat etc can call upon which begs the question how they can charge the money?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone
I've just put a new cd player in so I can mask the din
Which brings me to another point, does anyone know if Swift pre wire for
Redio/speakers etc as there are only the two speakers in the dashboard assembly and I would like to add two in the rear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rattles

I use cork floor tiles cut to size in the bottom of cupboards.
Rubber non slip stuff in drawers and Felt sticky back pads on doors and drawer.
The cork works well cut coater size between beakers and glasses.
Hope these suggestions help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.