Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Thanks for the welcome.

First off i'm looking to change the water system in the van, it's had a leak and the pipes are looking tatty and could do with changing, also the water is stored in a couple of containers inside the bathroom and a submersible pump is used which is a pain, so i think i'd like to have a tank fitted. i enquired about this previously and was given a link to CAK Tanks by Grizzly (thanks), which is very useful.

there seems to be several options regarding the fresh water supply to the van, i'm not totally sure what they are and which would be best, so if anyone could enlighten me i'd appreciate it. mines a 1985 hymer so i'm wondering how modern motorhomes go about it, i think they fill the water from the outside and i'd like this option.

I did contact Hambilton Engineering about it as they are not too far from where i live and they do motorhome modifications, i hoped they could recommend a system etc and fit it, but they weren't interested so i'm looking at doing it myself.

any thoughts appreciated.

Lee

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi Lee

I didn't know that you couldn't fill from the outside??

On our truck it has a locking 'petrol' cap style cap under a flip up cover, this is connected through the body by some 2" pvc type clear pipe. This pipe goes straight into the water tank under a seat. [100 litres]. Inside said tank is a submersible pump like this.

From there it goes to the boiler/taps etc.

Simplez

WIlse

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,623 Posts
I'm on unsure ground here, but could you get all you need from a caravan scrappers, it'd save a mint, and you'd have all you need, my plan might fail as I think they might not have a on board water tank.

If starting from scratch, without ex caravan stuff,I'd go from the outside to the tank, then to the taps, you'll need a water inlet hole drilling then a filler pipe assembly, enough pipe to reach your tank, a pump, some red and some blue pipe, push on fittings Tees and elbows and some straight connectors in case you cut a pipe too short (handy to have in any case) some taps, I'd go for the switched type rather that pressure triggered same for the pump, and of course you need somewhere for the water to go once you've used it.

this is my personal opinion, of how I would do it, if I had to.

Kev.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Hi,

Well it just goes to show, I thought everyone had the kind of petrol cap filler on outside of van and we just fill from there, usually from hose pipe or if we are somewhere when we don't want to move we use watering can and funnel.

Friends of our have an old hymer and they fill theirs from the outside too.

We do have the inside tank with large cap for checking water but not opened in two years we have had van, the tank is under the seat at the dining table.

Maybe others will know better.

Mandy

·
Premium Member
46,623 Posts
Just thought, Re the pump I'd go for one outside the tank, rather than a submersible one, it might give some advantages in siting, also it won't take up valuable water space in side the tank, and if you have a problem later with the pump, it's easier if you don't have to fiddle inside the tank.

As for siting the tank, under the seat/bed is common, bottom of wardrobe could be used, if you don't use it in winter, under the floor might be best, it keeps the COG down low too.

Good luck

Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

Currently there are two large containers stored under the sink in the bathroom, these hold around 19 litres each and have "Aquaboy" written on them, one has a pump dropped inside which feeds the system, when the first container is empty the pump is moved to the second and the containers are filled by removing them, filling and then returning to the bathroom, which isn't the most enjoyable process.

I intend on keeping the original water heater etc as i beleive it's a good one and can be run off either gas or electricity, i also don't intend replacing the sinks, taps etc however i do understand that often in situations like this the scope of a job can expand, a can of worms comes to mind!

I like the idea of having the pump outside of the tank, one goal is to increase the capacity of the water, there is a good space for a tank where the current containers sit, i've identified a tank from CAK Tanks that would fit and hold 56 litres (is this enough?), leaves space around the tank for fitting the pipes etc.

I think i may be struggling with the style of the system, does that make sense? i could be wrong but there seems to be several ways of supplying the water, and i'm trying to clarify this, it seems to me that some people don't have an onboard tank but use a container that sits outside, an aquaroll. also i think some seem to have an aquaroll and an onboard tank, what are they doing? increasing tank size? some also seem to be permanently connected when on site with a hose to the van or aquaroll, is this possible? i've also seen tank inlets, for filling from the outside, that have a power socket built in which i think is to power a pump to take the water from a container to the vans tank. are my observations/assumptions here correct? are there other things i don't know about? which way is best? and if you had a blank canvas what would you do?

sorry for the long post and loads of questions, i just want a clear picture of where i'm going before i start cutting holes in the side of the Hymer!

thanks again, much appreciated

Lee

·
Premium Member
46,623 Posts
lgbzone said:
i could be wrong but there seems to be several ways of supplying the water, and i'm trying to clarify this, it seems to me that some people don't have an onboard tank but use a container that sits outside, an aquaroll. also i think some seem to have an aquaroll and an onboard tank, what are they doing? increasing tank size? some also seem to be permanently connected when on site with a hose to the van or aquaroll, is this possible? i've also seen tank inlets, for filling from the outside, that have a power socket built in which i think is to power a pump to take the water from a container to the vans tank. are my observations/assumptions here correct? are there other things i don't know about? which way is best? and if you had a blank canvas what would you do?
The tanks you see outside are probably waste tanks if attached to a MH, caravans use aquarolls to bring fresh water to use, they tend to use a different tank as means for disposal.

Not sure what you mean about a power socket.

What I would do is in my earlier post.

For some good advice look in here http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-112.html

Kev.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
If I was designing from new I would definitely use a caravan water fill point with its inbuit 12V connection.

You can still use them to fill with a hose but have the external tank or aqua roll option which is useful if staying on a campsite for a long time and not wanting to move the van to get to the hose point.

Again if designing from new I would have my watertank inboard low down and central or split into two either side but with viewable water contents either a clear tank of a clear tube. Don't bother with electrical contents indicator they sound like hassle according to comments on MHF.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should add that i'm hoping not to touch the waste water system, all pipes appear sound and there is a tank under the hymer at the rear, however i do want to replace all the cold and hot water pipes.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sallytrafic said:
Yes mine is done with pushfit semi rigid thats the way to do it but note the small bore fittings are more expensive than normal house size stuff.
Does this bend around corners ok or are angled connectors used for that? Do you know if this would be compatible with my existing taps etc or would i need to change everything.

Many thanks
Lee

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the information.

I have replaced the hoses with new ones which solves the immediate problem and means i can continue using the hymer :)

from the information i've been given i've sort off come to the following conclusion regarding replacing the system; use semi rigid pipes, pump will be external to the tank space permitting, fill from the outside with locking cap and 12v supply (keeps more options open), i think that's about it.

I don't know where modern systems have the drain tap, the current system has 2 which are in the hoses, like inline drain taps; 2 horizontal connections with the hose and a third which goes straight down through the floor to drain it, both the hot and cold water hoses have one of these (have i explained this ok?). In a modern system does the tank have its own drain tap or will i still need a drain tap like the current one in the cold water hose?.

Thanks again
Lee

·
Premium Member
46,623 Posts
sallytrafic said:
Yes mine is done with pushfit semi rigid thats the way to do it but note the small bore fittings are more expensive than normal house size stuff.
Apart from where we have to connect into the existing MH taps and pumps etc, is there any reason why we couldn't use the domestic fitting, providing it had enough support, it would of course take a little more water to fill it up, but on the upside if anything went spare bits would be a lot easier to source.

My only real concern is, if it is OK to use it, why didn't the manufacturers use it in the first place except maybe to make you buy from them.

Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kev_n_Liz said:
sallytrafic said:
Apart from where we have to connect into the existing MH taps and pumps etc, is there any reason why we couldn't use the domestic fitting, providing it had enough support, it would of course take a little more water to fill it up, but on the upside if anything went spare bits would be a lot easier to source.

My only real concern is, if it is OK to use it, why didn't the manufacturers use it in the first place except maybe to make you buy from them.

Kev.
Hi Kev
Does yours convert to flexible hose where it is connected to MH taps, pumps etc?

Cheers
Lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.