Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My sister and family are hiring a MH to tour from Vancouver this summer. Can anyone readily suggest any useful websites for general touring advice or site searching?

Thanks, Ruth

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Sorry I can't but I bet this post will stir up a lot of people who dream of doing such a trip but can't quite get around to it - I know, I'm one of them.
I'll follow this one with much interest.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Touring Canada

Hi. We hired a MH from Vancouver and toured through the Okanagan Valley, up to the Rockies and back down to Vancouver. It was amazing. We were complete novices as it was about 12 years ago and had never owned a motorhome at that time. We started off by getting holiday brochurs of Candadian tours and took itinery ideas from them. We never pre-booked a campsite, there are lots of them to choose from and we never knew how far we would travel in a day. Good Luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a friend of mine said he once saw a european camper (as in with a european licence plate) in america. at first we thought it was crazy, but i guess if you are going for several months or an entire season, its cheaper to ship your own MH over, rather than rent one long term?

indeed we were going to go to canada for a couple of months and the price of renting a MH for that long put us off in favour of buying one here. canada will have to wait for us, for now.

but does anyone have any idea what it might cost to ship a MH over there and then back again?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
We had our first taste of motorhoming 20 years ago when we hired one for a week or so in the middle of a Vancouver holiday. We took the kids and my sister's son (she lives in North Van.) onto Vancouver Island and toured all round.

Had a brilliant time, never booked a site but visited some really super ones.

We used 'Go West' (still operating), which meant lots of family singing every time we saw another of their vans. Great times.

SDA

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who have replied so far. My sister is going in peak school holiday period (so I have suggested that she might need to book, but maybe you can advise?) and will only have the MH for 2 weeks, with another week being spent in Vancouver.

Any webites/info will be gratefully received :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
We did a two week tour in May last year from Vancouver, through Kamloops, Clearwater, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, ending in Calgary. Awesome scenery in the Rockies. We hired a motorhome from www. canadream.com and our first camp was www.bcrvpark.com in Vancouver - both recomended. Other sites en route were mainly obtained via google search before we left but we didn't book in advance and I didn't keep the details. The hire company also gave us lots of info about available sites and some discount vouchers. All the sites catered for large RVs so plenty of space on each pitch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Ruth
We've done Canada by RV twice, once west side (BC from Vancouver) and once east in Nova Scotia. RV companies tend to give you quite a bit of info when you pick up the RV including road maps and campground lists. We found the Provincial Park campgrounds less expensive but they did not always have many facilities. In 3 weeks on west coast we managed Vancouver, Kamloops, Jasper, Banff, and Vancouver Island, so 2 weeks should give plenty of time for a round tour.
Info from
www.canada.travel/
www.pc.gc.ca (this is Parks Canada website)

Derek

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
We did the East KOA campgrounds were used a lot in fact you can get their site guide free at their campgrounds,always plenty of room.
We even 'wilded' at Walmart and had breakfast in their cafe.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi,
Did two trips, first around the east coast and second starting in Calgary and just taking the advice from the vacation brochure.
There are plenty of campsites in fantastic countryside and you should be able to start off with the hire company brochures.
I decided ahead to do two three month trips and bought a motorhome in USA which is far easier than Canada. Did the two trips and then sold it. This works out a lot cheaper than renting even if you take a loss.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Been a long time since I went to Canada hope you have a good time. The Canadians a very welcoming,

If you need to stop somewhere and there is now camp site around just Knock on a farmers door and ask to park on their land, most will welcome you with open arms and my not let you leave until you have met all the neighbours and the rest of the family who may come from many miles away.

Andy

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all, so what is the general opinion about availability in peak season, late July to mid August, would they be best to book sites ahead or is that unnecessary even in peak season? No one has thought this necessary but of course you may not have been in peak school holidays?

Cheers, Ruth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.