Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello......We are jan and dave in stafford,Autotrail cheyenne owners.
Anybody interested in getting together on a regular basis for adrenaline filled weekends/weeks.Wales,scotland,lakes anywhere......
Mountain biking,fell running,hill wallking and climbing , and of course a few beers too.
Dave does the adrenaline stuff jan does'nt lol.

Jan and dave.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Would love to, except a bit busy with the kids at the mo - but that may change soon as the eldest goes off to 6th form college.

We mainly road bike, do quite a bit of running (all surfaces), kayak and aren't averse to hiking. Not done any climbing, yet! But done plenty of beer!

We're the furthest west of West Wales that you can be but it's a lovely area.

Jill

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Am out of breath just reading that post but Richard of RichardnGill likes all that stuff he will be along soon am sure!

Need to lay down in a darkened room all the thought of activity is getting to me.

Good luck though.

Greenie :lol:

PS who's 50? 8O

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crikey

does this mean that once your fifty life supposed to end!!!!
i'm just getting used to being a big kid again,riding my bike and getting muddy and swinging on ropes lol.
50 comes to me next year..................its all over......... i'm doomed i tell you......doomed.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Hi

I'm a keen mountain biker and can meet up if/when you go to the lakes, i live near the lakes so go there most weekends although not always with the motorhome, sometimes just take the bikes up on a sunday morning. last weekend we stayed near conniston and did the north face trail at grizedale, often we go to keswick and ride the red trail at whinlatter. once or twice a year we try to get further afield, last year went to scotland for ten days and did glentress and dalbeatie. i'm hoping in a couple of weeks to get back to dalbeatie for a long weekend, also looking at a couple of weeks in scotland this summer, see how many of the stanes i can get in, i reckon 5 or 6 starting at newcastleton and going anti clockwise, however i'm currently very much out of shape, recently had an eight month break from cycling due to work, so i most likely won't be able to keep up. :-(

Lee

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Hi

Love fell walking and running (when I loose some weight) Last did the Skiddaw fell race about 4 years ago and the Keswick half marathon last year, but I have not been running much lately.

I do a fair bit of cycling, Just about to enter the 3 Peaks Cyclo Cross in the North York moors.

Also get up to Glentress with my MTB's.

It would be nice to have a meet up some time on a site near to some good riding and have a few days away with the bike.

It has got to beat riding on your own when away.

Richard...

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
does this mean that once your fifty life supposed to end!!!!
nah - it just starts ....:BIG:

I've been a keen mountain biker for years and still love it

ran my 1st marathon at 50; did my first Ironman triathlon at 52; still competing in triathlons and currently contemplating riding the whole length of the South Downs Way on the MTB in one day ......

as we say in tri - HTFU and JFDI

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
Hi, I'm up for a bit of mountain biking! I could even dig out my walshes at a push. Managed to get fairly fit (mainly biking) on our just completed European jaunt (see my blog), and would like to hang on to the fitness for the summer at least.
Done loads of fell stuff in the past (BG member) but stick mainly to the bike nowadays to try and preserve my knees, but still can't resist the lure of the mountains occasionally :lol:

We are in Yorkshire - but hey, have motorhome will travel.

Steve.

·
Registered
294 Posts
im going to bowlands campsite in tosside nr skipton this weekend the bike will definately be on the back because the site is right on the edge of gisburn forest plus there is a fishing lake on the site with big fish in it so we are trying to catch the general ( we named it that after 1 rod got snapped and it also took out 10lb line out just lifting its head to get out the hook) we were there at weekend and it was good plus lots of new trails up gisburn forest

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Had a good weekend this week just gone 20/21 of june, stayed near keswick and rode the whinlatter red route, definately worth doing, there's also plenty for the wife and young kids to do whilst i'm riding.

how is gisburn these days, i used to go there quiet a lot, the last i heard, around 12/18 months ago, they were starting some new man made routes, family route followed by a red graded singletrack route, has this progressed?

last time i was there, there were some guys that had built some small downhill routes in the woods, one fell off and broke his collorbone :-(

·
Registered
294 Posts
lgbzone said:
Had a good weekend this week just gone 20/21 of june, stayed near keswick and rode the whinlatter red route, definately worth doing, there's also plenty for the wife and young kids to do whilst i'm riding.

how is gisburn these days, i used to go there quiet a lot, the last i heard, around 12/18 months ago, they were starting some new man made routes, family route followed by a red graded singletrack route, has this progressed?

last time i was there, there were some guys that had built some small downhill routes in the woods, one fell off and broke his collorbone :-(
the guy with the collar bone broke is gaz there is a good chance i was there building the downhill section, that downhill bit is a lot bigger now bigger jumps one of the other lads building had a bad crash a few weeks ago on one of the new jumps snapped his bike and some internal bleeding, the new routes are good designed by rowan sorrell and cost half a millon pounds, its well worth a look i will be where that downhill section is at weekend doing a bit of work (repairs after the felling) then having a play

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
'Internal bleeding' sounds serious, i hope he is ok. Gaz didn't seem that bothered about his collar bone at the time, but you could see it almost trying to push through the skin, it was pretty awful. i'll have to come through and have a look, last time me and my mate got a good tour down the runs, the lads seemed proud of what they had done, and rightly so, it looked fantastic and you could see that a lot of work had been put in.

Lee

·
Registered
294 Posts
yes get yourself there if you want to camp aswell there is a road directly in front of the dog and partridge pub tosside bd23 4sq i think the post code, is about 100yds down the road you will see the site on your right its only £10 per night with ehu and the showers and toilets there are very good brand they are brand new and there is a room where people can have a drink and chat together at night

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
This all sounds a bit hardcore for me. All the black runs - red runs etc. I just like riding offroad, the hillier the better and nice and rough. I don't have the bottle for all those jumps and balancy type tracks. I do love long fast rough descents though, after miles of hard climbing.
Or just tootling along on nice tracks.
The only man made course I've tried I spent more time off the bike than on :( . Bit contrived for me - thats not a criticism mind, I really admire the skill of you guys.

Steve.

·
Registered
294 Posts
tubbytuba said:
This all sounds a bit hardcore for me. All the black runs - red runs etc. I just like riding offroad, the hillier the better and nice and rough. I don't have the bottle for all those jumps and balancy type tracks. I do love long fast rough descents though, after miles of hard climbing.
Or just tootling along on nice tracks.
The only man made course I've tried I spent more time off the bike than on :( . Bit contrived for me - thats not a criticism mind, I really admire the skill of you guys.

Steve.
there is something for every one up gisburn forest tubbytuba, steady fire road, sweeping single track, downhill run or just go and explore in the forest with your bike off piste :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
tommytli said:
There is something for every one up gisburn forest tubbytuba, steady fire road, sweeping single track, downhill run or just go and explore in the forest with your bike off piste :wink:
I will do that Tommy :D . Thats just the sort of thing I love doing, and Gisburns not too far away from me.
It would be nice to meet up with others of a similar mind though, as an experience shared can add to the enjoyment.

I've had some fantastic rides this last 3 months in Spain and France, but there were occasions when I wished I had a mate or one of my sons there to share it with me.
I suppose if enough of us got together then everyone should find someone of a like mind to enjoy a days (well part of) ride. And of course we could all have a few beers afterwards :lol:

Oh, and Mrs Tuba (Mary) just likes to tottle along on flattish easy trails/roads, I'm sure there would be others of that persuasion, must keep the boss happy :wink:

Steve.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.