Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 80w panels sat doing nothing in the garage so though I may as well have one on the van so I'm not dependant on EHU so much at home, but I'm out of touch with what is good and what is crap nowadays so looking for a lower-priced MPPT controller that is efficient, Ebay has plenty but I've no idea if they're any good or not, annoyingly I bought one of a Facts member a few years ago with this in mind but it appears to have disappeared leaving me wanting, I have some 4mm2 cable kicking around as it's a short run the LB.

Preferably from someone who has an idea of what's good or not.

·
Read Only
424 Posts
I have two 80w panels sat doing nothing in the garage so though I may as well have one on the van so I'm not dependant on EHU so much at home, but I'm out of touch with what is good and what is crap nowadays so looking for a lower-priced MPPT controller that is efficient, Ebay has plenty but I've no idea if they're any good or not, annoyingly I bought one of a Facts member a few years ago with this in mind but it appears to have disappeared leaving me wanting, I have some 4mm2 cable kicking around as it's a short run the LB.

Preferably from someone who has an idea of what's good or not.
Kev,

Have you asked David Loveluck at Wildebus? He fitted our AMT 12 Battery Relay, Ablemail B2B and a couple of USB Sockets yesterday and was in heaven explaining the merits and disadvantages of various bits of kit across the M/Home electrics spectrum!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Steve, I generally have a clue with a solar set up haveing done quite a few, I'm just out of touch, I've just ordered all my cable and mountings etc, just need the controller at a sensible (low) price.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Hi kev just wandered how oldthe 80 is it might be better to just get a cheap pwm i have just 2 victron controllers in my van and they work a little better than the old pwm but need to see 5v more than the battery voltage to kick in barry

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Sorry kev it was supposed to say fitted 2 victron and once kicked they will charge as long as the voltage is above the battery

These cheap pwm controllers are not to bad for a simple system as the mppt controllers work better with 2 panels wired in series barry

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Hi kev that looks like it will work fine for you and handy having the option to charge both engine and hab battery, can you put both panels up and wire them in series or do you only have space for 1 barry

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have space, but I don't think it'll take 160w, and I only have one LB so probably overkill.

All we need is to charge 3 x 10" tablets and two phones, which are done of the cab sockets usually, although I did use my tablet as a sat nag yesterday for the first time and I have to say I do prefer the more bigness of the screen compared to the phones but it draws more electrickery, and to power the lights at night, and occasionally the heaters fan to warm up on cold mornings and nights, but we prefer not to have that on as it gets too dry and our faces start burning.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I understand now mine is 2x 100w 1 is directly onto the leasure battery and 1 goes to the main sargent control panel and that sends the solar to the engine and leasure battery as needed and i can overide it and tell it to just charge the engine or the leasure barry

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although I ordered direct via the website it came in an Amazon box about 10 am so impressed with the delivery time, looks a bit nice in the flesh pictures after I've mounted it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.