Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered under various posts over the years but this is my list (vaguely in order of importance):

Gaslow - wouldn't want to be without it having dealt with heaving cylinders in and out of the van in the past. Cost of installation would make me gulp a bit but negotiated its addition as part of the van buying process.

Solar panel - I've got an 80w fixed panel. Spent a couple of years struggling without one and am really pleased with it. Much depends on your style of touring - sometimes I'm moving on every few days in which case it really wouldn't be needed but every summer I like to spend several weeks vegging out on my all time favourite campsite where there are no leccy points and now I've got bags of power (I have 2 leisure batteries too.) Also no longer have to even think about the vehicle battery going flat if I haven't been out in the van for several weeks.

Whirligig washing line - no more tying rope to fenceposts on site or having washing flapping against the side of your van. They sell quite posh (and expensive) ones in accessory shops but mine was a fraction of the cost in a hardware shop. I peg the tripod down to stop it blowing over.

Square bucket - wonderful invention! Whoever thought that a round bucket was a good idea. Storage is a doddle and it has a miriad of uses from dog washing to clothes washing.

Rubble sacks - endless uses - including muddy blocks, leccy lead, water hose, etc. Just the right size and so strong. And yes I have used them for shifting rubble at home too ...

Fleece towels - dry quickly, especially useful when motorhoming in winter.

Insulated Coffee mug cafetiere - my sister bought me this and its great - saves packing a separate cafetiere for my morning cup.

Clips - those little stationery clips that I can't think of the name but they are ideal for clipping part used packets of food closed.

Remoska - enough has been written on these boards before.

Grip mat - as well as its usual uses in stopping rattles etc in the kitchen cupboards - a small square is most useful in de-hairing clothes and carpet. Especially useful when you have a hairy dog and cat who seem to reserve their moulting for when we go away in the van .....

Handleless saucepan and fryingpan - mine have clip on handles - no more handles getting in the way when packing the kitchen cupboard. Mine were from Tchibo and are quite heavy and solid but then I've got plenty of payload.

A fleece blanket - ideal for chilly evenings and can be used on top of the duvet so that I can take a lower tog duvet and save storage space.

There's probably more but that'll do for now! Anyone else want to add their musts?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hi Kipper! It's getting late but I'll give it a go:

External SilverScreen: keeps us cool when it's hot and warm when it's not! Helps to make the cab area a more-comfortable part of the Euro-lounge.

A spare wheel: much has been said in the debate of shaving foam and compressor, against a correctly inflated spare.

A second leisure battery: also supplemented by many LEDs to minimise power drain.

A 120w solar panel: even in November and March, when the sun was low in the sky, our batteries were fully charged by noon.

A decent gas BBQ: ours goes neatly under the bed, in a hold-all with wheels. Easy to use, easy to clean and store.

A pair of folding bikes: gives us some mobility on cycle tracks, especially in France. Fit nicely under the bed, with the BBQ, spare wheel, sun loungers, walking gear, triangles...

Yes, there's probably more! Next!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, as a solo traveller (the cat and dog being useless at map reading) I keep toying with the idea of getting sat nav. Although for the same reason I'm in two minds about cruise control - it must make it so much more relaxing but worry that on long boring motorway trips I might just nod off with no one to keep me awake!

External Silver screens - yes I forgot that one. Wouldn't be without them. The difference in winter is like putting an overcoat on - its quite incredible.

Another one I forgot is actually quite a strange one for me - Thetford Bathroom Cleaner - I don't usually fall for the buying all the add on tricks but I must have been swept up in the excitement of the Accessory Shop! However it really is the best bathroom cleaner I've come across - really efficient and gets things shiny clean and smells nice too. Flash all purpose cleaning wipes are another indespensible in the kitchen area.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Automatic hydraulic levelling jacks
Fridge freezer the size of a domestic unit
2 air con units
king size bed to romp on
and not having to empty a cassette toilet

I could go on but

Loddy

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Our best buys have to be

Camos inmotion dome,

Keeps the kids happy and no fafing about with a tripod or crankup dish.

Solar Panel,

Means we can got to meets and not worry about have flat batteries as much.

Our van it self.

We have just replaced our smaller Hymer with this one and love the space and comfort of it.

Richard...

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Remoska - enough has been written on these boards before.
I was nearly tempted in Lakeland a couple of days ago, whilst we were in Peterborough I rang Hubby back at the camp site and he said it would probably just another gadget that we wouldn't use..........I wish I had bought it now, couldn't make my mind up if the standard size one would be big enough and the grand looked a tad too big.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Oooohhhh, Ive just bought the large Remoska and I have put a roast dinner in it as we speak. I will tell you how it came out.

Everyone has been going on about them so I thought they must be good. :D
Jakki

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
UncleNorm said:
Hello Jakki and anyone else who is interested in 'memory foam' ideas...

I would start at http://www.raskelf.com/

I like their website with its very clear photos of the many products at work.
We bought two Duvalays from them at P'boro '08.

Pricey but super kit.

Watch out though cos they're quite large when rolled up and you need plenty storage space. We keep ours ready for inaction on the transverse fixed bed.

Bought them with navy covers to match previous van. 6 months later we bought the Adria which has a coffee/beige interior and they don't match, but still snuggly.

Tried to buy two Duvalay storage bags from Nuke but ODB's system will only let you buy the bags with new Duvalays and we don't need any more.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Best buy / 2 worst buys

Best buy Auto matic Rapido 992MH V6 Engine , drives like a dream .

Worst part of above , Fancy gadget this - Dometic Vacuum toilet ,- waste pipe came off ( collecting tank in garage ) thank goodness it was clean water !! Vacuum pump noisy , had air leak on vacuum side 6 UK "experts " looked at it, then , they had to fly some one in from Germany to cure it ! I wish it had been the practical , no nonsense Thetford unit

2nod worst thing I bought was a Easylifter M/cycle rack brand new still in my garage at home for sale " the lady of the house " decided to change her mind !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.