Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,686 Posts
i
Is it new? If not its more than likely some DIY jobby. Can you put a multimeter across the terminals?

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Welcome James and thank you for telling us little about yourself and what motorhome your drive.

It would be so very very helpful if your photo could actually show the switch that you are asking about rather than just your arm. My friend Sherlock might then be able to source a solution to the problem

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,674 Posts
That's much better!! But sorry, I've no idea! If the surround matches other switches in the MH then it's likely an original fitting and there are a number of autotrail owners on here who should be able to help. If it doesn't.... it could be one of any number of owner additions.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Thanks for that..............hope someone with more knowledge of that van will come along soon

·
Registered
Autotrail Cheyenne SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's much better!! But sorry, I've no idea! If the surround matches other switches in the MH then it's likely an original fitting and there are a number of autotrail owners on here who should be able to help. If it doesn't.... it could be one of any number of owner additions.
Yes it does match the fitting of all the other switches in the van so I think it is original. Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
My 2007 Arapaho has similar switch surrounds, but none in that position, I’d drop an email to Autotrail to see if they can help.
There are several dedicated AT groups on Facebook, if you’re not on FB with your permission I could post your query there for you ?

Terry

·
Premium Member
23,058 Posts
Yes it does match the fitting of all the other switches in the van so I think it is original. Cheers
Not necessarily as those surrounds are readily available, I have installed four new ones all matching. The only way is to start by taking the switch off - use a small screwdriver in either of the slots - there are two, one on each opposite side, slight twist and it will pop off. You can see the slot near your finger, I think.

Two small cross headed screws behind secure the switch to the inner surround. Take those out and pull the switch forward.

Check whether it is in fact wired in, or is redundant.

If wired in, check with a multimeter which terminal is “live” if any - it should be a 12v supply on one, if it is connected.

Finding out where the other wire goes is more of a problem, there may be a clue in the thickness, it should be fairly thin, but if someone has wired an inverter activation using that switch who knows ?

I hope that gives you a starting point, good luck and welcome !

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
If using a meter to check voltage start with it set to 240v not 12/20v.
Another use for the badly placed switch is perhaps the external light near the hab door.
AT used their own distinctive wiring colours and not the normal red, blue, green/yellow for 12v wiring. Their 12v live was white with an orange line if my memory serves me correctly.

Terry

Reactions: Penquin
1 - 16 of 16 Posts