Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recommendation is Navman PiN 300 PDA. This uses Smart ST V3 software and IMHO is currently the best for value and use.
(See I said I had to me spanners back!!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
i still use a garmin street pilot i suppose it is a bit dated now but it works, when that lady tells me to turn left/right or whatever i do it. it's never let me down. i am going to france in september but would not consider this without a gps.

:D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hi, Agree with the ver 3 software, using a IcN 510, did not want a PDA, excellent results all round with built in antenna, with no problems finding sats with Luton.

Malc :lol:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi loury777, yes I had Street Pilot 3, very expensive to buy in the first place and additional memory, that has to be Garmin of course, was even more prohibitive for what it was. Plus needing to have a laptop with you to load on the street level mapping that you could not get in to memory because it was full with the corridor mapping and end journey mapping for when you get there, so when you went somewhere you had not intended you had not got it available so I sold it on!!
That to me was the biggest advantage of the PiN, You can get best part of Europe on a single 512 memory card, you can get the whole on a 1GB, including best part of Scandinavia as well!!
Yes I would definately agree would not travel without it now.

Interesting this Malc, I find both my PiN's work perfectly in the m/home with overbed Luton I recall someone was asking about external aerials for GPS because they could'nt get or were loosing signals in theirs. I thought about posting but was not sure whether it was the unit being used so was waiting for more info. One thing occurs though, what is your overcab made from mine is GRP I wonder if having Aluminium makes a difference

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Paul, I think the 'spanner' is being dropped. :lol: At least it's under discussion on one of the other forums, go and put your views in and maybe they will reconsider if enough people want them re-instated.
Phil.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Phil,
I'm not really that worried I was just making a bit of mischief, I hope in a fun innocent kind of way. I think they are more important to some than others!! Still that got me another post, so thanks!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, my bodywork is all aluminium and has a Luton, I'm off to Austria on Wednesday and it will be the first use of my Mio 269 in the M/H, it works fine in the Mondeo, went to Wales last weekend and it could not be faulted.

In the garden where the van is parked facing West it shows as receiving 5 or 6 satellites. I'll post how it works in the Alps etc. when I return early in July. I have an external aerial but am hoping that I wont need to use it.
Phil.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Phil what sort of covereage has the Mio 269 got for Spain?? my garmin is great for France but crap for Spain. And has it got Supermarkets (for filling up) and maybe campsites in the POI's. maybe a swop is just around the corner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Lou and Carol, I haven't looked at Spain yet as I'm off to Austria tomorrow and have been setting up itineraries for each part of the planned tour, the detail for Austria and Germany is fantastic, also literally thousands of POIs including lots of the campsites. If there is somewhere in Spain that you would like me to see if streets are covered in detail let me know and I'll look later, it will have to be today though.
Phil.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello again Phil then it seems that the Mio series is good for reception wHeather there is GRP or Aluminium (the Navman PiN is in fact a Mio 168 rebadged, it even has Mio 168 Digiwalker on the back, I must say I find mine superb. I wonder what unit the poster was reffering to on the old site BC (before crash).
Software is obviously a matter of taste and what suits you, can say Spain is well catered for to street level in Smart ST.
Anyway have a good time I am sure you will find your Mio brilliant!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Paul, I've only had it for a week and I must admit that everytime I've used it so far it has been spot on and so quick to reroute if you ( on purpose ) go in a different direction to the instruction. The 'girl' is so polite I suppose it must be a computer generated female voice. :lol: :lol:
Phil.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi,

Just to clarify a little regarding the signal to be obtained through various materials.

I was referring to the fact that a bluetooth receiver can be placed inside a roof locker underneath a GRP roof and it will work perfectly well. If you try to do the same thing within a metal skinned vehicle then you will almost certainly be out of luck.

Placing the receiver in the windscreen of a vehicle with an aluminium skinned overcab does of course still enable a great deal of sky to be seen by the receiver. Under these circumstances, many forum posters on PocketGPSWorld have reported that better reception can be gained travelling in a Southerly direction than a Northerly one. This may well be due to our Northerly situation relative to the positioning of the satellites in the sky over much of the Earth to the South.

Anorak off now!

Nobby.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I think that the 24 GPS satellites in orbit are positioned such that from any point on earth at least 5 are available. I suppose this excludes tunnels and similar :lol: .
For triangulation 3 are required and a fourth if available is used to correct any errors in timing/sync. etc.
Phil.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry - should have drawn a little tongue in cheek for the latter part! The serious points were in relation to roof materials although I wouldn't blame the satellites for migrating a little towards warmer parts.

Nevertheless, users have reported the phenomenon and I have on occasions tended to notice it myself but have told myself that it must be imagination - most things seem to work better as you drive towards the sun!. In testing receivers I frequently notice that I receive satellites more readily out of the South windows of my house than the North.

I have even seen posts on PGPSW where people returning overland from France to England have suggested that less satellites become visible to their receivers as they go further North. Of course this may be something to do with our weather and cloud cover which does apparently affect satellite reception.

Gotta go now - Fred Dibnah on telly. Bet he won't be talking about GPS.

Nobby

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Nobby, I'm sorry if you thought that I was having a dig, I wasn't I just intended to give a little background information on the GPS system.
The trouble with forum posts sometimes is that because you can't see the poster you can sometimes misinterpret the intention. I generally only make comments to try to assist other's understanding of the subject. Or on rare occasions if I try to inject a little humour or fun I use smileys, but they don't always convey the sentiment.
Phil.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi,

No problem - didn't think you were having a dig.
Fairly relaxed about any posting - can't get my Smilies to work though even though everything is turned on. I'm wondering if it's Javascript related as I have that turned off at present due to the current Firefox security issue??

nth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.