Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to visit the Peloponnese Peninsular, Greece early next year from Ancona, Italy and use the camping onboard service. I am looking for a ferry to Kefalonia, Greece that takes a motorhome though as I see many stories of campers doing this, but so far no joy. Direct ferries came up with just a 6 mt length with a 2 mt height on one company running from Kyllini and Patras so far no joy. I am using this current year for guidance as the 2023 schedules will not be available until Nov/Dec 2022. The word is they will use the same facts and figures next year except maybe a price increase. Anybody done this in recent times? My van is only 6.69mt length and 2.89 height.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
There's one from Bari apparently...

Or is that the one you mention?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's one from Bari apparently...

Or is that the one you mention?
Thank you but, I am looking hopefully for a ferry that is local as I will definately go from Ancona on the camping onboard ferry to Patras as we have a dog. Its easier than mandatory use of a cabin as a dog is only allowed on a ferry to stay on the open top deck or left on its own in little kennels there. If that makes sense LOL. We have that problem with the Barcelona ferry to Rome leg. The things we do for our pets huh.
Again thank you for your info.
Tel

·
Premium Member
15,696 Posts
I've used Ancona and Bari to Patras but the best as far as money saved in diesel vs extra fare is the Venice Patras ferry long mind you.

Reactions: terencepaul

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a ferry from Lefkadi to Kefalonia West Ferries but it means you will have to use the bridge or ferry at Rio
Wow, thats interesting my friend. Shall look into it and is the bridge crossing free? The motorhome is the bit I will earnestly be looking at. Many thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just looked up the price of the ferry to Kefalonia the price for motorhomes is 12-30 Euro per metre so quite expensive it takes 60min
You are a star my friend, thanks. I will monitor it for awhile until next years prices come out later this year. I guess, looking at the ferry my 6.69 mt van with 2.89 mt height shouldn't be a problem. As you say, a little expensive for a one hour ferry trip lol. But if it fulfills my wifes dreams of Kefalonia at last it will be worth adding it our long list of Greek Isles visited. Cheers

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I know what you mean about Greek Isles i lived in Greece for eight years and we visited many islands with our motorbike there is one still on my bucket list Kastellorizo the problem is limited ferry service

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
didnt @nicholsong (Geoff) go to Kefalonia last year? I think he took his van but I could be wrong.
It was Patmos not Kephalonia.

We used ViaMare to book as they provide an excellent service and got us a 30% discount by combining the crossing from Ancona to Patras with the Piraeus to Patmos one. They may be able to do similar with Kephalonia.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

We used ViaMare to book as they provide an excellent service and got us a 30% discount by combining the crossing from Ancona to Patras with the Piraeus to Patmos one. They may be able to do similar with Kephalonia.
Many thanks and I will indeed be looking ViaMare up, cheers. I was wondering if a lot of you motorhomers book the return to save money as sometimes it maybe easier for sure. Or it may seem restrictive if you like to stay at some places a little longer and depending on how easy it is to book when you are away touring. Just a thought lol

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
We booked the return Adriatic sector because we wanted Anek/Superfast's facility of 'camping on deck', living in the MH, and they get booked up very quickly after the timetables are announced, and booking opened. usually about Christmas time. It was easier last year as Covid restrictions were only just coming to an end.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We booked the return Adriatic sector because we wanted Anek/Superfast's facility of 'camping on deck', living in the MH, and they get booked up very quickly after the timetables are announced, and booking opened. usually about Christmas time. It was easier last year as Covid restrictions were only just coming to an end.
Hi, many thanks for the info my friend and all member replies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, enjoy and thanks for your update. Have a great time and do add any thoughts that come to mind. Is that the price for one way, springs to mind. Take care.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts