Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have the connection for a propane cylinder in my m/h, but have room for only one 6kg cylinder, but i can fit one of the small camping gaz cylinders in as well, but can i get hold of a J470 - wot's a a J470 i hear u all ask, well its the code number for the conncetion from the copper piping in the gas box to the gas cylinder as with the new reulations they have to be connected with a threaded nut 9as you all know). local caravan sales obviously think i am talking another language, can any of you wonderful people help as i dont like being left on a rally with only one gas bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Keith

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gas etc

Cheers Eddie

going out this morning to hunt one day, spoke to a few assistants on the phone yesterday form caravanning accessory shops and it is like they hae their intelligence removed b4 picking up the phone, one guy who was the manager didnt even know there were new gas regulations in place (duh)

take care

keith

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gas

sorry for not getting back, got new rubber pipe and tap from silverdale caravans, so now i am the happy owner of 2 cylinders which is better as the gas always runs out when i got me bacon and eggs on in a morning!

regards

chopper

· Registered
2003 Timberland Freedom
5,210 Posts
Refillable Bottles

Came across this article about new regs from Calor.,

Calor are to issue advice to their autogas refilling stations based on a statement issued by the LPGA, which is an LPG industry trade association. It appears that this advice may preclude users from refilling bona fide refillable cylinders.

We have asked Calor to clarify this, and they say:

"It is correct to say that the LPGA does not approve the refilling of portable cylinders at filling stations. The fitment of tanks to motorhomes by the manufacturer is covered by the construction and use regs so that's generally ok. Retro-fitting into gas storage lockers of cylinders is not covered by these regs so is not ok."

Un Quote

You can read the full article here :

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/news.shtml#calor

· Registered
284 Posts
This info from Calor is almost a year old and unsurprisingly to my (cynical?) view seems to be geared at furthering the protection of their market share in this country.

The advice at the time from the LPGA seems to vary from Calor with respect to cylinders fitted (strapped) into the box and which have the necessary safety equipment
We have also been in contact with the LPGA, whose view seems to diverge slightly from Calor's. They say:
"Basically if the tank is fixed to the vehicle structure and meets the Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations (ie is to ECE67-01, has a fuel gauge, stop fill valve an outlet shut off valve and a purpose designed inlet fitting it is, we believe OK as the risks are the same as filling an LPG fuelled vehicle tank. This is reflected in the final paragraph [of the original LPGA statement].
Ultimately, I believe that Calor will not prevail with their attitude as refillables are acceptable within European Law, Regs and practice. In practical terms, they are the same filling technology and have the same safety issues as Autogas equipment fitted to motor vehicles.

I have a refillable 'fitted' into my locker and have filled it without problems 3 times in the UK since last September. I have also filled it routinely outside of the UK with great ease and simplicity. I have a neighbour who has a complete Gaslow system and he has experienced no problems.

Many people have switched to refillable systems and eventually, The Caravan Club (who are a Calor business partner) and the C&CC will have to take account of the views of a large number of their members and the LPGA ultimately. The Motorcaravanners Club already have a more enlightened and positive view of this issue. A large Company such as Gaslow will similarly be in a position to make sensible and well formed representations to the LPGA.

I will be very surprised if there is to be some sort of ban on filling refillables. If there was to be, it would have happened by now on genuine safety grounds.

Nobby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.