Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Not nitpicking but could be important if someone is looking for the company.

The references to Gasflow should read Gaslow I think.

See www.gaslow.co.uk

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Re-filable LPG tanks

Read something this week that said vehicles with re-fillable LPG tanks are not allowed through the Channel Tunnel. :cry:

Does anyone know if this applies to other tunnels anywhere? :?:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Professionally fitted systems

The Gaslow system is available to be fitted directly, like how i had mine done by a company called Leisure Gas Services.

www.leisuregasservices.co.uk

They offer a molbile service and the full gaslow product range in which they will arange at a convenient location to fit. For myself i arranged it that they came to my house. All the system once installed was professionaly tested for leaks etc and left up and running.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Buzz word around the show at York, is that these fillable bottles are going to be outlawed!!?

Something to do with the filling to 80% capacity safety measures? and no cut-off device to prevent overfill.

Perhaps someone from the learned panel can enlighten us :roll:

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
Well I wasn't at York - though only 45 miles away at the time, ggrrrr... - but as far as I'm aware only MTH's lightweight bottles currently don't have the 80% fill valve fitted, and they hoped/expected they would have this by October.

As to a ban, well I can imagine Calor would like a general one on all refillables ......

I could imagine a ban on systems with no auto cut-off, but these are so few and far between they can hardly be registering a general concern, and the whole of the US' RV gas systems seem to operate safely without them.....

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,420 Posts
Calor are obviously worried their profit margins are going to suffer with the growing popularity of refillables and have advised all their stockists not to refill user owned cylinders with an excuse about health and safety regs and insurance implications. This doesnt include permanently fitted tanks, so who is to say what constitutes a permanently fitted tank? Theres been a few posts recently about this. had a look on www.calor.co.uk but cant find any mention about it on the site, theres also been a press release in oct MMM.

pete.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Permanantly fitted tanks do have a cut-off valve, (ie my dual fuel vectra)
but these bottles selling at shows for a couple of hundred quid don't...!

So a safety issue arises when pump pressure overcomes container pressure and liquid gas leakage occurs on forecourts, I can see why questions are been raised.

The guy on the stand said qoute "hold it up in the air and you can see how much is in it,..just like a *** lighter" unquote 8O

Inspires confidence doesn't it!..

I'm not entirely convinced that Calor sales will be dented by the up and coming introduction of refillable gas containers, in the forseeable future.

Calor Gas is a huge business that has been going for over 60 years,
they supply gas to everyone and their uncle!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello All
I have a 26litre refillable cylinder, got it from TB Turbo's at Lancaster and it is fitted with a 80% safety margin relief valve. Its fitted in my gas locker as tight as a fixed tank and just as safe.
So I supose the next question to be asked is "What is the definition of Fixed".
Regards, Eddie

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
It would seem Eddie that the chances of getting your tank filled are down to the whims of a forecourt attendant!

On the other hand, if you pulled in to a gas station with your M/H, opened a flap or locker door next to the LPG pump, who's going to question what your doing?

No intention of being disrespectful to our juniors, but will the girl/boy in the kiosk have a clue regarding gas filling regulations?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll agree to that, i have filled my gaslow cylinders up numerous times with no problem. Like what was said above, it seems that its the lightweight bottles from mth that dont seem to have an 80% cut off. I was also told that i was supposed to watch and lift the bottle in the air whilst filling up!i then said obviously; well what hapens if i overfill the bottle!i was told and i quote 'to go into a field and vent it off'. I laughed and walked away!
Surely this cannot be the advice of an experienced company!...perhaps thats where lies the answer.

Like i have said before i have the gaslow range fitted by the guys at Leisure gas services, and i've had not one problem. They all came with the 80% cutt off, certificates for the approved parts etc. I would highly recmmend them to anyone. If not already seen above their site is www.leisuregasservices.co.uk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: Professionally fitted systems

jack40 said:
The Gaslow system is available to be fitted directly, like how i had mine done by a company called Leisure Gas Services.

www.leisuregasservices.co.uk

They offer a molbile service and the full gaslow product range in which they will arange at a convenient location to fit. For myself i arranged it that they came to my house. All the system once installed was professionaly tested for leaks etc and left up and running.
I have just used these guys to fit up my van. Called them yesterday for a price list, found out they were in my area doing another van and hey presto, 4 hours later I was a proud owner!!

I am still a little stunned actually as was only considering the idea 8O

That said, they were good guys, worked quickly, cleanly and the price was right. The bottles (2 x 11kg) have an 80% cut off bit inside for safety reasons ... I think someone was asking about this in the post? They are not the lightweight ones - and they are just slightly smaller than the 13kg propane bottles.

leigh :D

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
O.K then, is it cost effective to have a permanent tank fitted to the vehicle?

A refill on a 7kg calor bottle costs around £11 to £13 (ish) depending on vendor.

To refill a tank of same capacity costs around £4 to £5 (ish) at pump.

I change bottled calor every 3/4 mths....

So how much does it cost to have a refillable tank fitted, and how long would it take to see a return on my investment? :?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.