Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D
hiya all. Have just joined before I get my motorhome in the hope of getting good info that might help me...come on folks..show how good you are and guide me in the right direction.
I have caravanned for 20 years but now fancy a change and have the chance of a FIAT AUTOTRAIL 6 berth 2.5 tdi 1995 37000 miles at a reasonable price..Any comments about the unit, what to look for when I see it, how reliable it is, what fule consumption, will it tow a small car, how much roughly for insurance (I am 45 and clean licence).If you hae a rough idea what it should cost please tell me...I wont get upset whatever you say as I would like to know before I part with my money rather than after...It has bike rack, alarm, top box, imobiliser, invertor,6 months test, no tax, PAS, U shaped lounge etc.ANY comments would be greatly appreciated even if bad news....PLEASE DONT LET ME DOWN..whatever you have to say as I am a beginner will help..Thanks...SIMON

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Welcome to the group. We were ex tuggers of 18 years as well prior to changing about 5 years ago.

1995 will be the old shape and just about everybody used the Fiat and Talbot Express as a base vehicle. Some complain of gear change problems, others have no such problems. If its the later model Fiat/Boxer style these are again good base vehicles.
37000 miles is nothing on a van this age. I have the 2.5TD in my Boxer based van and it does all I ask of it with reasonable economy. Autotrail generally have a good name for build (there is always someone who will say different)

Insurance shouldnt cripple, we ended up paying the same for the vans insurance as we did previously pay for the caravan with the CC. Expect to pay between 200 and 300 pounds

Sorry can help over guide price but see dealer ads as a maximum

·
Registered
209 Posts
new to motorhoming

Hi calypso here the only advise i can give is if your happy with the price and condition of the van then just go for it. I used to tow a caravan years ago I am now on my fourrth van having gone through the vw stage' i am now running a compass calypso which is a two berth and i use it every weekend winter & summer, remember when you stop on the road for a brew its just a case of out of the drivers seat into the rear, when you get the van the put some sterelizing fluid or tablets into the water tank and flush it out before you use it, happy motorhoming calypso. :wink:

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Hi Brian and welcome to this website from an enthusiastic member learning from others all the time.

I've paid a quick visit to your website (I'll be back!) and it looks as though you have a lot to offer us from your experiences.
I look forward to you joining these discussions.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
...................... Expect to pay between 200 and 300 pounds

Hi

And that is for a motorhome costing a lot more than my little car.Wow I have just had my car ins renewal. I am a mature female very clean d.licence & max bonus doing no more than 6000 miles a year protected, hubby & me driving and £100 excess . Its for a small corsa about 4 years old & they want £250 for insuring

Motorhomer

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I couldn't believe how cheap it was to insure my motorcaravan, less than half what I was paying for the car, plus I ddn't have a caravan to insure anymore either, the savings go some way towards the exra petrol that I need now! :lol:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I think they work on the principle that in general motorhomers tend to be older and dont do the same mileage that the average family car and also tend to travel at slower speeds. We changed our former tug (a Vectra 2l) last year for a Corsa and got a rebate so I am unsure what the figure for that will be this year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fuel economy

Welcome to motorhomefacts, on what fuel usage to expect froma Sevel type chassis I would suggest mid 20's at best. With 40K on the clock no problem. It is a commercial vehicle - however do check for water ingress, especially on coachbuilt motorhomes. Take a damp meter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.