Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

I joined the site the other day and you all seem really friendly, knowledgable and all round good eggs!

I have a quandry, we are just about to buy a new motorhome, a Dethleffs Advantage coachbuilt, 6 berth, very nice.

We have been offered this at £54,795.00 on the road with a 6 year body warranty and 3 year van warranty. Fiat Ducato based.

What I would like to know is:

1. Are these a good motorhome.

2. Are there any known faults.

3. Are parts easy to get (not that we should need any for some time hopefuly)

4. Is this a good price.

5. Are there any other makes that we should be looking at for the same sort of money £55k that are 6 berth.

We currently have a 1998 Swift Kontiki 640, 41000 miles which we absolutely love and have added so many extras the list would be too long!

They have offered us only £16.000 in part exchange, I suppose this is about right.

Any help or information would be very much appreciated as we are complete novices really!

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Aidan.

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
hello Joeandmary

Yes, Broom was referring to the capitals in the title. General forum etiquette - using capital is SHOUTING. Don't worry about it, we'll cut them down to lower case.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your queries soon.... :wink:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Can't give you any advice except read on here about the judder reverse gear problmes with Ducato based vehicles
We have a fiat based vehicle and given the choice we would not have bought one until we knew the reverse gear was sorted - we weren't aware of the problems beforehand - Why would you spend all that money when there is a potentialy big problem waiting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, the old reverse gear judder!!!!

Yes, I know all about this, I run my own business and have three Ducato vans 2 x 07 and 1 x 08 and all of them have juddered at some time, I had such a to and fro with Fiat uk, I even spoke to the MD and he then replaced an 07 van free of charge with the 08, still judders!!

I have now tried an 09 van and they have sorted the problem, they will never admit that they had one, strange how the new ones ar ok though :)

Cheers

Aidan.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I have now tried an 09 van and they have sorted the problem, they will never admit that they had one, strange how the new ones ar ok though Smile
Who's kidding whom Aidan :lol: :lol:

You must keep up! :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8O Oh! are there still problem then?

The only other option is the Renault / Pugeot, but they are exactly the same van with a different badge.

There is Ford but to be honest, I had a Transit as a works van and it was useless, no power, no like the Fiat!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Oh! are there still problem then?

The only other option is the Renault / Pugeot, but they are exactly the same van with a different badge.
Hi I cannot advise re your choice of van but I would like to comment about the Peugeot base.

We have a new MH on a Peugeot base and when I took it in to my local dealer for 1000 mile / 1 month check I told them that it had a judder. They checked it and agreed. It is going in tomorrow (for 2 days) for modification. At least Peugeot accept there is a problem and are putting it right.
Other have reported a big improvement afterwards so time will tell.
It is very nice to drive so don't discount it.
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.