Motorhome Facts Forum banner

New to all this ....any advice welcome

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  yozz 
#1 ·
Hi My name is Ray , am 59, retired and done a fair bit of hiking and camping and stayed in statice caravans. NEVER had the guts to pull a caravan but now having met up with a like minded person want to take the plunge and explore the country enjoying the freedom of a MH. But they are expensive so thinking of hiring 1 this year for a week and seeing how it goes. Then if still keen thinking of buying one next year for a tour all around the British coastline. No intentions of going into Europe but neve say never.
My main concern is the driving.....am a competent but not over confident saloon car driver....will I cope with a wider, longer, taller and heavier vehicle.
Saw a place that would train you up but you had to take your own MH...which defeated the object...if I could drive the MH to the training I wouldnt need the training.
Okay....so honestly required how hard are they to drive, what are the pitfalls and what's the best way to prepare for actually driving one...eg would it help to drive a minibus even if it is only up and down the school drive? Cheers if you are still reading this thanks for your time
Ray

#2 ·
Welcome Ray.

Two recommendations.

1). Stop worrying right now. :D

Unless you get a monster MH they are far easier to drive than a car. You are high up so can see over much of the traffic, and modern vans have all the bells and whistles you could wish for.

You do have to watch out for the passenger side wing mirror though, as some of them stick out a long way. Mine is still intact, but I have severely frightened it more than once.

Other than that you very quickly get used to the extra width, and the need to swing out a bit since your wheelbase is a bit longer than you are used to. If the van has a big rear overhang that needs thinking about too . . . but all these things seem quite natural and easy once you climb aboard.

Reversing can be a bit tricky, but shove the passenger out into the blizzard to see you back - mine complains a bit sometimes, but a nice cuppa soon makes up for it.

2). Fork out your tenner so you have access to the whole site and can search the forums for specific information.

Best tenner you will even spend. :D

Dave

#3 ·
You will find it no problem at all.
The bigger the vehicle the slower it is to operate, therefore the more time to think and act.
From a car to a tank transporter is a suprisingly small step.

Drive a small bus or a white van and that is exactly what the average MH is.

Good Luck :)

#5 ·
EJB said:
You will find it no problem at all.
The bigger the vehicle the slower it is to operate, therefore the more time to think and act.
From a car to a tank transporter is a suprisingly small step.

Drive a small bus or a white van and that is exactly what the average MH is.

Good Luck :)
Thanks for that ....not sure about the tank transporter but lifts my confidence

#6 ·
Zebedee said:
Welcome Ray.

Two recommendations.

1). Stop worrying right now. :D

Unless you get a monster MH they are far easier to drive than a car. You are high up so can see over much of the traffic, and modern vans have all the bells and whistles you could wish for.

You do have to watch out for the passenger side wing mirror though, as some of them stick out a long way. Mine is still intact, but I have severely frightened it more than once.

Other than that you very quickly get used to the extra width, and the need to swing out a bit since your wheelbase is a bit longer than you are used to. If the van has a big rear overhang that needs thinking about too . . . but all these things seem quite natural and easy once you climb aboard.

Reversing can be a bit tricky, but shove the passenger out into the blizzard to see you back - mine complains a bit sometimes, but a nice cuppa soon makes up for it.

2). Fork out your tenner so you have access to the whole site and can search the forums for specific information.

Best tenner you will even spend. :D

Dave
Cheers Dave....its amazing what a few well thought out words do to lift one's confidence...thanks again
Ray

#7 ·
badger said:
You'll love it.......easier than pulling a caravan!!

Just get used to the size...as the bishop sa......sorry I digress

Best advice....get your tenner out and then you can explore the whole site and ask as many questions as you like.
thanks for that...will certainly follow your advice re:full subscription

#8 ·
Ray,

If a full-sized coachbuilt MH seems a bit daunting, you could try driving a hired van conversion MH. At least the back end is no wider than the cab, there's no overcab to snag tree branches, and no rear overhang to ground. A good way to try this game.

Easier to park, too.

SD

#9 ·
Hi There Ray

Welcome.

Advice: "Nice and easy does it"!

On braking, acceleration and steering.

Get used to using your mirrors and as Zeb says - when reversing get the co-pilot to check and guide - do not worry about pride or loosing face - rather a back and forth manouver or two than cracked or damaged body work.

Above all else - ENJOY

Cheers

David

#10 ·
SpeedyDux said:
Ray,

If a full-sized coachbuilt MH seems a bit daunting, you could try driving a hired van conversion MH. At least the back end is no wider than the cab, there's no overcab to snag tree branches, and no rear overhang to ground. A good way to try this game.

Easier to park, too.

SD
Thanks SD...makes sense

#11 ·
Welcome Ray

Try before you buy - an excellent way to find out if you are going to like the hobby - you could also check that if you buy from the firm (if they are dealers) that they will deduct your hire costs for the week

I must admit to never being worried about driving the motorhome, that was until I drove with my husband as a passenger - and I will not drive with him, he is so off putting - the fact that all accidents have been his - not mine, seems to be forgotten....

We have a LHD which is no harder to drive over here - sometimes awkward at some junctions, when a passenger is very useful - but if you ever intend going to Europe, so much easier to drive over there where everything else is strange.... but great.

We toured the UK for 9 years, before venturing abroad, and our country is fantastic, we have some really beautiful countryside to see, from Cornwall to Scotland with the Lakes and Peaks inbetween.

But we do love France, its weather, its laid back approach and its open roads, (not the autoroutes) but their N and D roads are brilliant, and the French people have always been appreciative and best of the lot, they LIKE motorhomes, they provide places to park and sleep overnight (many are totally free) and some charge for fresh water (about €2 to fill up) and some charge for overnight parking (say €7 a night, which often also includes a hook-up).

Go for it, try it and then buy one, I am sure you will never look back, but wish you had done it earlier.

Carol

Incidentally what they all forgot to tell you, is that that £10 subscription will give you discounts off insurance, sites and also off accessories - so you get it back ten fold --

#13 ·
new driver

hi,ray i agreee with carol.I drive our van quite a bit and down hear have to mind the narrow lanes, i often go on my own to set up rather than wait till other half gets back from work,just take it steady watch for overhang trees,the width,length when parking,etc.Have a go its really great fun and you meet such nice folk.lin :D

#14 ·
HI there,

Ours is a fairly compact coachbuilt motorhome. I have found it great fun to drive, so much so my husband is relegated to the passenger seat...a lot!

These are the things I recall as having to make adjustments for

1. blown around a lot in high winds- sometimes sideways is a new direction to go!
2. braking distance is longer- ours does not have ABS etc
3. stability when throwing it round corners is a little hairy unless the water tanks etc are full, think london bus type moves!
4. load the van up with the weight on the floor and not high up- else it becomes like a big blancmange on wheels!
5. not try to use the rear mirror as it don't work- reversing camera is now in and saves husband getting wet/cold/hot/miserable!

This is ours

#17 ·
littlenell said:
HI there,

Ours is a fairly compact coachbuilt motorhome. I have found it great fun to drive, so much so my husband is relegated to the passenger seat...a lot!

These are the things I recall as having to make adjustments for

1. blown around a lot in high winds- sometimes sideways is a new direction to go!
2. braking distance is longer- ours does not have ABS etc
3. stability when throwing it round corners is a little hairy unless the water tanks etc are full, think london bus type moves!
4. load the van up with the weight on the floor and not high up- else it becomes like a big blancmange on wheels!
5. not try to use the rear mirror as it don't work- reversing camera is now in and saves husband getting wet/cold/hot/miserable!

This is ours
What a lovely motorhome.

Agree with all the above points too.

Don't be pressurised in to buying something too big, or too small for your needs. Once you decide to buy do so knowing that the odds are you'll want a different van in a couple of years for whatever reason.

Enjoy :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.