Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a 2016 IH 600 RD Ducato . I do my own servicing and I came across this forum while looking for advice on resetting the the oil change counter. Although I have done oil changes every 6000 miles I am not sure the procedure I have used to reset the counter has been working. I have read that that vehicles with a DPF can go into limp mode if the ECU thinks the oil has not been changed .

·
Premium Member
11,786 Posts
Morning Rob and welcome.

I'll bump up your post so it hopefully doesn't get lost

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
Hi Rob and welcome,
I did see your post earlier, but as I had no idea there is a counter to reset on oil changes, ( I expect my machining does all that when it’s serviced,) I kept quiet.

·
Premium Member
25,559 Posts
I looked on Youtube to see the instructions to reset our Golf and Tiguan service warning messages. Complicated but does work at least for VW's.

Ray.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have been using the accelerator and pressing the break pedal 7 times but was never sure it was resetting the oil change counter. When using the mode - service - oil to view it I was getting readings like my current oil reading 27968 miles. I was not sure if it meant I had that many miles left before the next oil change or if it was the odometer mileage reading when it was due to be done. To me 27k miles seems a long time to leave the oil unchanged.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Yes I have been using the accelerator and pressing the break pedal 7 times but was never sure it was resetting the oil change counter. When using the mode - service - oil to view it I was getting readings like my current oil reading 27968 miles. I was not sure if it meant I had that many miles left before the next oil change or if it was the odometer mileage reading when it was due to be done. To me 27k miles seems a long time to leave the oil unchanged.
At reset it will set to approx. 28,000 miles and countdown to zero as miles elapse. It reputably falls towards zero in accordance with the degradation of the oil but my experience suggests it is with mileage elapsed.
The handbook says "The actual interval for changing the oil and replacing the engine oil filter depends on the car usage conditions and is signalled by the warning light or message (if present) on the instrument panel (see “Warning lights and messages” paragraph) and must never exceed 2 years".
The counter is therefore overridden by the two years if it has not indicated an earlier change with a warning message. You can of course do oil and filter changes as frequently as you wish. If the counter is not reset and eventually it falls to zero it will go into limp mode if the couple of early warnings are ignored

1 - 10 of 10 Posts