Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
We are about to purchase an ADRIA twin 640 2020 model from a Notts firm and wondered about the gas canisters sizes, it has a cupboard for 2 6KG bottles Ive read that 6KG being discontinued by several firm and anyway are stupid prices to buy/fill up so want to ask will the next size up fit in the cupboard provided in the back Ive read the threads from a couple of yrs ago regarding earlier models which sounds promising so am surmising they do fit? At the moment I use a Land Rover Defender 110 sleeper conversion with a 6KG bottle..Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,946 Posts
Welcome David. I don't know about the sizes but have you considered refillables? I have gaslow (2x11kg) but there are others. That way you pay only for the gas you use (rather than handing back not quite empty bottles just in case) and that price is cheaper than the gas in exchange bottles. There is a financial outlay of course but for me it was well worth it, especially as my bottles are in a locker inside the garage - back-breaking to exchange.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Hi David and welcome

I think Calor Gas have discontinued their Lite bottles but not the normal ones so you should be fine.

I'm not sure if you are new to motorhoming or just having a new MH but if you are thinking of traveling around in all seasons in it, it would be worth fitting Propane cylinders rather than Butane (which your 6kg question does suggest you were thinking of anyway) as Butane will not gas properly below 5 degrees or so.

I used to swap cylinders, regulators and hoses when winter came but now just stick to Propane all year.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Definitely agree with Jiwawa the best, most convenient, cheapest (in the long run) will be refillables, there are a few different manufacturers products available and they are available in the 6Kg size.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
I think it all depends upon how you camp John. If you use sites and EHU then you potentially will have very little gas use. We took around 3-4 years to finish a 13kg Calor recently as we mainly use sites so only really use the gas for BBQ's.

If the OP does wilding or uses sites without EHU including aires/stelplatz then of course, refillable could well work out cheaper in the long run.

We also change our MH every 3-5 years too, so that was also a consideration for us when I looked at refillable.

Reactions: eurajohn

·
Premium Member
32,138 Posts
Best solution I reckon now is the biggest refillable bottle you can fit in with a 6kg calor backup. Our combination is an 11kg gaslow refillable with the filler point on the side and next to it is a 6kg calor. In mainland Europe I leave the 6kg calor at home as in the countries we go to LPG stations are easy to find. However in the UK now it's not so easy and there is also a risk you may get refused without the filler on the side.

For example up in the Scottish islands where we have been since early August there are no LPG stations so my gaslow is useless once it's empty. What I do though is run it about half way down then switch to the calor. Run that until it's empty then swap back to the gaslow until I can secure a replacement calor 6kg then swap back again. That way I can never run out of gas.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
...as long as you can secure a replacement 6kg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts