Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Hi Jimmy and welcome.

Exciting times! What MH did you get for yourself?

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
What a coincidence! We have one of those (we are on our second one).

What year did you go for?

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Our first was a 2012 and our current one is a 2017.

I'll be interested to hear what the reported mpg is on your trip computer when you have had a few trips. I was regularly getting around 27 from the 2012 model (3 litre) but this newer 2.3l struggles to get to 24.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the 3L was getting around 26 at the weekend thought that was about right for a big lumps I personally think the 2.3 is a bit small for that size of motorhome but who am I to challenge the experts.

·
Premium Member
28,554 Posts
Often the larger engine returns better mpg as it's not struggling so much. I much prefer just that little extra power even in the car.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Yes its a very weak engine after the 3litre. It purports to have the same bhp and torque but it is very noticeable on hills that there is less grunt.

Recently I have amended my driving style and drive 5% slower than before. I did this purely down to cost reasons given the exorbitant price of fuel. On my current trip (c.1900 miles so far) I am averaging 24.2 which I'm quite pleased with.

The change in engine was all down to emissions but its a worse engine I reckon and its got a cam belt instead of a chain which will necessitate an expensive month for me in November when I get it changed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the belt will be an expense unfortunately the emissions thing is the way it is going now with everything I just don't believe 2.3 is the same as a 3L as you say you have had both and you can tell there is a difference the proof is in the pudding I am more likely to believe someone who has driven both the what the so called experts have written down.

·
Premium Member
17,163 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jimmy,
I have an Auto Trail Navajo, well I will when I get it back from the hospital where it’s having a skin graft after getting burnt in June, you can read about it hear if you are interested in what happened, If you have the refillable gas make sure all appliances are off when you refill.
We swapped from a caravan in 2015, I am pleased I don’t have to be setting one of those up especially as I’m on my own now.
Do you have a partner, dog, cat or even a parrot to keep you company ?

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
I'm happy to fill in any blanks you may have on the Comanche Jimmy but as a seasoned traveller from your tugging days I'm guessing you probably know the ropes.

Any recent trips out in it or any planned?

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Interesting that our previously enjoyed Bailey Autograph is only a 2L as opposed to our previous Swift that was 2.2L
The new engine is a little less umph but our MPG has gone from 28 to 31
And with the cost of diesel I can live with a bit less power.

Reactions: GMJ
1 - 20 of 44 Posts