Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
After 12 years or so of motorhome driving you do develop a more relaxed style of driving. A lower top speed on fast roads, more considered slowing and acceleration to conserve momentum and that a results on less need for umph and fuel usage. And I arrive less stressed.

·
Premium Member
17,252 Posts
Then you get people like me, not many I must say, who have absolutely no idea how many KMPL the car or van take and when I drive I want to get along the Autobahn post hast and back onto sleepy roads.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,019 Posts
If you have the refillable gas make sure all appliances are off when you refill.
Not once was turning off the gas mentioned as I boarded the Rosslare-Bilbao ferry this morning. Purely by chance dis I remember 😔
when I drive I want to get along the Autobahn post hast and back onto sleepy roads.
My sister used to drive at absolutely crazy speeds on the motorway cos she 'wanted to get off it as soon as possible'!

·
Premium Member
11,395 Posts
Welcome Jimmy we love our AT Arapaho, the 3L engine is great lump for our beast I regularly have to ease off the loud pedal on instruction from the co-driver. 😆

Terry

·
Premium Member
17,252 Posts
Tall big you mean?
This is Cookie, short big He´s English but belongs to a Scot 😁

My dog looks like a proper dog ;) descendent of wolves, although in Motleys case probably a fox.
Water Dog Dog breed Bulldog Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Collie

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I was happy this afternoon as I just filled up in France at 1.603€ ...on the motorway just south of Chalons en Champagne!!!

It's the cheapest we have seen on this trip and on the bloody motorway! I found it hard to believe but mind you, the petrol station was full of Brits so perhaps not that hard to believe. :D

When we came off at our junction 15Km up the road, it was 1.80 in a petrol station on a B road...20c more a litre! Go figure!!

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Yes thanks for that had it out at the weekend up the Highlands of Scotland to give it a try all went well nothing planned yet work commitments am afraid
Any issue with road widths/passing places etc?

Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said that work is the scourge of the drinking classes? :) I was lucky enough to retire early so plenty of time to tour around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just one bit was a bit tight all because a road was closed diverting everything up a road not suitable for hgv but attics the lot on it breathe in but all good in end up not fortunate enough yet to give up the work thing.☹

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Just one bit was a bit tight all because a road was closed diverting everything up a road not suitable for hgv but attics the lot on it breathe in but all good in end up not fortunate enough yet to give up the work thing.☹
That's lucky :)

On a trip a few years ago we had planned taking the Comanche over the Stelvio Pass. I had previously done it in a sports car and it is breath taking. We stayed the night before in Bormio, ready to do the ascent the next day. We got to the road...and it was closed!! According to my very basic Italian apparently there was a goat on the road...maybe not!

Anyway it lead to a diversion along roads I had not scouted/researched/planned etc...in the bloody Alps! There was no other option to get to our base that coming night. Luckily it worked out but the first hairpin we came to necessitated in me having to reverse back to widen the angle! Not a great start :D

Re work: how long until you can 'perma-tour'? :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It's not for the faint hearted when it comes out of the blue unfortunately looking at another 10 years at least but you never know what's round the corner live for the now I say.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
We just travelled out of Italy 2 days ago through the Petite St Bernard Pass. Not as many back-to-back hairpins as the Stelvio but still good driving. There was one where I had to reverse but being honest, I probably didn't get in the right shape when entering it really. Aside from that it was superb. Brilliant driving roads and we touched 2200m above sea level.

We toured Scotland some time ago but never got up past the Cairngorms. It is on the list to do again but tbh the older we get, the more we prefer a better guarantee of decent weather so tend to hit the EU in May and again in September.

Where are you based?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am based in Glasgow so easy enough for us to travel north yes definitely look forward to heading over the water for better weather will be much easier than towing a caravan that was 27 feet long with a range rover just a different way to go

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
We are in deepest, darkest west Wales. Good to welcome a fellow Celt to the forum (y)

We have never fancied tugging at all but good on you coming over to the winning side :D. What made you jump?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The wife she said every time we were towing the van setting up ie awning etc I was getting stressed and moaning that it would be easier and more practical I just had some reservations like cost etc but she was right not that I would tell her sold the van and car bought the motorhome not regretting but wouldn't give her the satisfaction life wouldn't be worth living😆

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
We have never regretted our entry into this world.

Prior to getting one we would holiday abroad in rented villas and also go off for weekends away every 4-6 weeks, in the car. We were really into our sports cars however as my wife's health got worse (she has MS) we realised that we needed to fly less and also needed to have home comforts at hand! So we bought a MH and have never looked back since.

Stick around Jimmy and have a look at some of the other threads on here. We are (mostly) a friendly bunch but do be prepared to have a thick skin (from Glasgow? Should'na be a problem :) ). By all means drop me a message via Conversations (click on your avatar top right and click on conversations) if you want to discuss anything off line.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts