Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking to purchase our first motorhome. Like the look of the Hymers and have come across a 2002 B584,
All the B584's I have seen have a "flat" roofline, whereas this one has a slope at the front. Anyone know why?
Anything else to look out for on an oldie like this?

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,721 Posts
Maybe it was the design for that particular year?

The older Hymers are allegedly very well built but at that age you'd need to check for damp. Either buy a damp meter yourself or insist on a damp check being done with some sort of warranty - oh, I see it's had a damp check. Is there a warranty with that?

I notice it's gross weight is 3.4T which might be a problem because vans back then were heavier than they are now so there may not be much in the way of payload (the weight allowance between what the MH weighs with some water, gas, diesel and the driver on board, and the max allowable weight on the road. I suspect this one may have so little payload that it wouldn't be fit for purpose. But you won't know to it's put on a weighbridge. And don't take the dealer's word for it - he'll have no idea unless he's weighed it. Depending on your age you may hold grandfather rights to drive a vehicle over 3.5T and you may be able to uprate the gross weight...

Good luck whatever you do, and I hope you'll stay around and benefit from the experience of long-time motorhomers on here.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Hi and welcome

I have very little to add to Jean's excellent post except to back up what she said about the Gross Vehicle weight. This article

Seems to have the payload at 445kg and the MTPLM at 3500kg and not 3400.

Reactions: Archer
1 - 3 of 3 Posts