Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
26,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an indication as to the state of the NHS when a suicidal caller tried for two days to get through to the Mental Health Assistance line.

Ray.

· Premium Member
19,099 Posts
428,000 calls from people needing critical mental health support UNANSWERED between 2021 - 2022.

That is horrendous and then one caller was told to “treat yourself, sit down and read a book”.

Suggested titles include;

”How to murder a NHS Mental Health telephone respondent.”

”The Dummies Guide to Mental Health Treatment.”

“999 Steps to Contact Your Doctor”

· Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Ha ha all very funny.....but going on about how the NHS is failing is exactly what the Tories want.
Then we can welcome that investment from US health companies who promise to make it better (there will need to be a small cost of course)
Lets go on about the Tory cuts and disinvestment............too many of their supporters don't actually understand irony.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
In an article in the Guardian Sajid Javid has suggested charging for GP and A&E attendances which I totally disagree with - it has to remain free at the point of use; tho I'm in favour of some kind of penalty for non-attendance but I fear that would be too costly and/or time-consuming to follow up. Tho it might be worth some initial pain to change people's behaviours.

However, he also said "too often the appreciation for the NHS has become a religious fervour and a barrier to reform”. And I think he has something there.

· Premium Member
2,365 Posts
I don't think there is a grain of truth in what he says............once again weasley words win people over.
Who could possibly disagree with some kind of penalty for no shows.
As far as I can see the NHS is being constantly "reformed" without barriers.
It is reduction in service, not reform, that people object to.

Reactions: greygit

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,698 Posts
On More or Less last week Tim Harford analysed the funding of the NHS since 2010. Worth a listen on BBC Sounds.

Among other things he demonstrated that there had been steady real terms cuts in NHS funding.

Reactions: Webby1

· Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Yes the Tories mantra is they are spending more than ever on the NHS but they claim to be the fiscal party yet seem unable to grasp inflation and how spending more is meaningless if it's not keeping up with inflation.
The capital budgets for the NHS have been seriously eroded over the last 12 years.
I just wish Tory supporters would be honest and say they don't want their taxes to be spent on a social health system.
That it's everyone for themselves and get health insurance if you can and if you can't it's not their problem.

Reactions: Webby1 and greygit

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
It is reduction in service, not reform, that people object to.
I think it's both. In NI we have dire problems with our healthcare. We have the highest number of persons/bed in the UK and huge waiting lists. Although Belfast itself is very well served with the number of hospitals (though there are huge issues with managing the delivery of care, and not all of it down to the DUP's refusal to form an executive) some of the outlying districts have big problems. Enniskillen may lose its urgent surgery facility because they cannot staff the unit safely. Obviously the local people are up in arms about this and obviously the current system needs reform. What the solution might be - that's for these highly-paid managers to come up with.

· Premium Member
29,617 Posts
Yes the Tories mantra is they are spending more than ever on the NHS but they claim to be the fiscal party yet seem unable to grasp inflation and how spending more is meaningless if it's not keeping up with inflation.
The capital budgets for the NHS have been seriously eroded over the last 12 years.
I just wish Tory supporters would be honest and say they don't want their taxes to be spent on a social health system.
That it's everyone for themselves and get health insurance if you can and if you can't it's not their problem.
The trouble with that though is it may well be the case for the traditional wealthy Tory supporter but because of Brexit they swelled their ranks with many red wall working class and Kipper types. The Tories trashing the NHS will not sit well with them, most of whom wont be too keen to splash out £1000 a month on a decent family healthcare plan which of course does not include emergency treatment anyway.

Our local MP Dehenna Davison promised she would get the A&E reopened at Bishop Auckland. Anyone with half a brain knew it was total bull**** but she has not been allowed to forget that promise and its cost her dearly. Shes resigning at the next election.

· Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Sadly for most of those born again Tories it will be too late by the time they realise they've been lied to.
Once the NHS is killed off it will never come back.

· Premium Member
8,691 Posts
If we don't make a charge at the start of treatment how do others propose that the people who phone 999 with a cut finger, a sore ring finger where the ring had caught, an elderly lonely person, a frequent flier who wanted company, declaring chest pain, as reported by the 999 service call handler on the Jeremy Vine show today? I wanted to ring up and tell him about a childhood accident, that I spoke about recently, where half my foot was hanging off after it caught in my dad's motorbike wheel. An ambulance was never considered! It was wrapped up by the GP and I went on the bus. Chris's mum, a widow, took him to A&E when he broke his arm. No cars in those days, again it was a bus that got him there.
How are we going to educate the masses to treat minor ailments themselves? Or go to a pharmacy or to the GP. Surely it must start with GP's opening up their surgeries for minor injuries? If my dog cuts her foot my vet treats it in his surgery.
In fact the NHS could learn a lot from how the vets operate their practices. They have x ray machines and other diagnostic equipment in house.

· Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Sorry but here are examples of the problem.........feeding into negative views of the NHS.

Jean you say its both and then give a list of reductions in service in your area.............no reference to any attempts at reform or anyone objecting to reform. So why is it both.....why is there some truth in Javids weasly words.

Pat.......................educating the masses to treat minor ailments doesn't really have anything to do with how the NHS is run.........changes in how GPs operate to be more like vets is a great idea.......all to do with reform not reduction and I really don't see anybody is objecting to reform.

It all just feeds the negativity and keeps people like Jeremy Vine in business..............ah yes but...........I know someone who...........what about all those who abuse it....................not like the old days..........I value the NHS but but but

· Premium Member
9,888 Posts
I can't see the point in looking back as an example of how we could move forwards. In those days many many more died because they didn't get proper treatment.
Do we really want to go back to those death rates? Is that acceptable?
Where we used to live they had mini emergency clinics that ran almost 24/7
You could drop in or book. They dealt with minor stuff and helped relieve the load on GPs.

Reactions: Webby1

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
Surely it must start with GP's opening up their surgeries for minor injuries?
I think the reduced number of GPs we have now are know to be pretty much overwhelmed already Pat.
Jean you say its both and then give a list of reductions in service in your area.............no reference to any attempts at reform or anyone objecting to reform. So why is it both.....why is there some truth in Javids weasly words.
The reform proposed is to move the current urgent surgery facility from Enniskillen to Belfast where a properly trained team can be assured at all times. The local population is, understandably, against this reform. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

· Premium Member
26,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I keep seeing a NHS add on TV for cancer screening and to go see your GP. Oh yeah?

Ray.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts