Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all you enlightened photo types :wink:

at present i have a nikon coolpix 8400 and am very happy with it BUT it lacks the ability to interchange lens for far off shots and fixing different filters is a real pain :evil: .

changed from a manual slr years ago to digitail and am happy with the nikon system etc, so

what nikon camera in the dslr group do you recommend ?

thinking of around 6-10 meg pixel for blow ups and the ability to fit filters etc maybe the D40 or would the older D5o/70 be better.

do mostly landscape and low light stuff with the odd action bit, am i better with a 28-70 lens for general use and a 50-280 ish for close up and far off shots. trawlling ebay at the moment for some secondhand kits etc.

or would it be better to change to pentax etc.

tramp

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rather than thinking just about the camera, I believe that you should be thinking about a camera system ie cameras and lenses etc.

It is generally accepted that image quality is a function of lenses and not the camera body and one should therefore invest in good glass.

The two best systems are Canon and Nikon.

Visiting the Nikon and Canon forums and one gets the feeling that, whilst Nikon may have the the better bodies, (at a cost), Canon has a much better lens line up.

You pays your money.......

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
You pays your money.......
Indeed. But be aware there is a (potentially) ruinous pitfall with each of these.
NAS... Nikon Aquisition Syndrome :)
CAS... Canon Aquisition Syndrome :)

I suggest that the vast majority of people using, say, a Nikon D40 outfit (or Canon equivalent) will not take better pictures with a more expensive camera/lens.

I'll get my coat...

Regards,
John

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use a Nikon D2X at work and love it but too much for me to buy myself.. Instead I have a Nikon D80 and love it... Hope to upgrade to a D90 soon and get a GPS lump that writes the location in the EXIF data... Boys and their toys :)

I have to say I am a 'Nikon' man.... myself... :wink:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
First the declaration of interest: I am a devoted Nikon man.
I have had a D70 for a few years, having switched from F801 and F4s film bodies. All have been great and the D70 works well with my previously acquired range of lenses.
These days, I use the 18-70 mm zoom most of the time, with an 80-200 as my 'long lens'. Be aware that the sensor on most digital SLRs is smaller than a 35mm film frame and the effect is to increase the apparent magnification achieved by a lens. In the case of Nikon DX format, the factor is 1.5x. So an 18-70 is the equivalent of a 28-105 on a 35mm, and the 80-200 is equivalent to 120-300.

In my view, the best Nikon dealer in the country is Grays of Westminster. Although their second-hand equipment is relatively expensive, it is in virtually new or, to all intents and purposes, new condition. They probably sell more Nikon gear than any other dealer.

Philip

<<Grays>>

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi all,
as always "mhf members" come through :p we all seem to have a bit of redundent knowledge waiting to escape :wink: .

will probably go down the Nikon route as have been happy with their stuff in the past , just got to decied which model :?
suppose its a go try and find out moment.

another question is it possible to use the old lenses of the old 35mm slr if the baynott fitting is the same , or should I just buy and try on new camera,
bit like alozenger moment "suck it and see"

Tramp

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
With the Nikon system the F-mount is mostly compatible back to the late 50's. However, not all functions on a modern DSLR will work. Most recent Nikon lenses do not have an aperture ring as it is adjusted with a dial on the camera body. The biggest step-change however came with the inclusion of a microprocessor in the lens that integrates with that in the camera. This occurred in the late 80's, so any autofocus lens made since then will give most of the functions. The camera is still able to control the aperture provided the lens ring is set to minimum (e.g. f22).
The latest wonders of 3D multi-pattern metering and 3D flash metering are only available with the latest lenses, but quite frankly, the system is highly capable with any lens made in the last 10-15 years.

I use my D70 quite happily with an 80-200 f2.8 AF zoom and 105 f2.8 Micro Nikkor in addition to short prime lenses, all bought between 1989-1994. In reality, the DX18-70 that I bought with the D70 is a very good general purpose lens and they can be picked up quite cheaply. The only significant downside of these cheaper zooms (for general photography) is the lack of a wide maximum aperture. However, digital noise at higher ISO 'film speed' equivalents is quite well-controlled, so it is possible to shoot good pics at ISO 400 where once, one would be using ISO 50 - 64 transparency film. This means the wider apertures are less critical in low light, although it is always useful to have them in order to throw a background out of focus. But these wide-aperture lenses come at a price. Even my old 80-200 f2.8 would cost around £3-400 today second-hand, and its new equivalent is £1,000.

Philip

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Don't discount other brands. Yes Nikon & Canon are the market leaders and have the widest range of lenses available. This is only an advantage if you plan to spend lots of money on additional lenses and accessories.
The latest Sony DSLR's are very good. Olympus also excellent and are a little smaller and lighter (especially the lenses).

Trevor

·
Registered
528 Posts
tramp said:
will probably go down the Nikon route as have been happy with their stuff in the past , just got to decide which model

another question is it possible to use the old lenses of the old 35mm slr if the bayonet fitting is the same , or should I just buy and try on new camera,
bit like a lozenger moment "suck it and see"

Tramp
Good choice I don't think you will be disappointed....

One thing to remember if you are using old 35mm kit.. if you intend to use and 'old' flash check the trigger voltage. a lot used to be very high and can damage you DSLR. You can get adapters but they are not cheap... about £40 - £50 I seem to recall..

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Hi Tramp,

I am a devoted Nikon fan but accept that the best choice is between Nikon and Canon.

So you have chosen Nikon, now what camera to go for?

Well you just missed out on an immaculate D200 as I just upgraded my back up camera by purchasing a D700 to add to the D300. I sold the D200 including recorded delivery for £425. My advice is look second hand for a better camera than you would have bought new. But the catch is buy it from a known source like the forum's I have mentioned below. Check out how long the person has been a member, did they buy the kit last week and now want to sell it, do they have a seller rating etc, etc.

Lenses! Well that just depends on how much you love your hobby and how much you want to spend.

There is no harm in using older lenses, at least you will see how much you want to get into your hobby and then you can decide which lenses you may want to add to your collection.

Depending on what you like to take pics of you will almost certainly need a good tripod and a good flash. Don't just take the lowest cost for these either! Spend your time researching. I suggest you join these forums:

http://www.photoportal2.org.uk
This is a small friendly forum with great and useful advice on the critique of your pics. I am Libby on there.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/
Talk photography is a larger and useful forum for advice on techniques, software etc. It also has a superb for sale section but you have to be a member for a month (I think) to view this. I am G2EWS on there.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/index.php
This is an American forum and has some useful advice and superb selection of pics for critique that will have you learning a lot from others.
I am G2EWS on there.

As you know from MHF, forums are where you can learn and improve your hobby. I would also advise you not to purchase anything without looking at the advice that these forums give.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nikon D90

Hi All,
I used to have A D70 but I sold the body and a 80mm lens for £150 and put it towards a D90. I got the 105 VR lens with it and I have a Sigma 18 - 200 lens which stays on the body. I have a 70 - 300 mm lens and have just bought a sigma 10 - 20mm lens for landscapes. The D90 is the first DSLR with movie capture and has a great 3" LCD screen. If you get the D90 buy the D90 for Dummies book from Amazon to go with it.
Pete in Cambridgeshire

·
Registered
53 Posts
also be wary of budget nikon - d50 - as some lenses will not autofocus, nikon took out the motor from the camera body to save on cost.

Ebay have some bargain d70's at the minute and a great camera to boot.

vested interest had one, now got d300

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
Hi Russell

One thing before you decide what to buy or search for - go and try them out at a dealer first. When I was looking for a DSLR, I didn't mind what I bought - in the frame were a Nikon D60, a Sony A200, and a Canon EOS400. All good cameras, I think, and all with a capability well beyond my meagre skills in photography.

I 'tried out' all 3 in Currys, and in the end I plumped for the Canon. To me, it 'felt' better in my hands (I have a dodgy right arm that won't rotate fully). I just couldn't get comfortable with the Nikon (my fault, not the camera, I'm sure), even though (secretly) I've always fancied owning a Nikon.

FWIW

Gerald

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nikon D90

Hi All,
I used to have A D70 but I sold the body and a 80mm lens for £150 and put it towards a D90. I got the 105 VR lens with it and I have a Sigma 18 - 200 lens which stays on the body. I have a 70 - 300 mm lens and have just bought a sigma 10 - 20mm lens for landscapes. The D90 is the first DSLR with movie capture and has a great 3" LCD screen. If you get the D90 buy the D90 for Dummies book from Amazon to go with it.
Pete in Cambridgeshire

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Re: Nikon D90

gooseman said:
Hi All,
Pete in Cambridgeshire
Got a D60 its an amazing camera.

Wups

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.