Motorhome Facts Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,628 Posts
External CD drive connected via USB port. Or get someone to see if your CD files can be transferred to a USB stick.

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

·
Premium Member
35,628 Posts
The files might not transfer anyway Kev.

See if you can borrow an external CD dive. I had to buy one a while back, which I'd lend you, but postage from Spain will be more than the cost of a cheap one.

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

·
Premium Member
27,483 Posts
I put my old version of Office onto a memory stick and added it to my recent laptop via the USB socket. Worked for me Kev.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
27,483 Posts
Used an older Computer with a CD drive and put my Office CD in it. Open up the drives and either copy or 'send to' the memory stick in it's USB.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Used an older Computer with a CD drive and put my Office CD in it. Open up the drives and either copy or 'send to' the memory stick in it's USB.

Ray.
Can you go into detail Ray, I have tried various ways of doing this and failed miserably, please explain in detail.

Making a copy of a film on a DVD now is practicably impossible, I believe copying a programme is just as bad.

·
Premium Member
31,571 Posts
Christ! How old is the version if its on a CD!

They have been available to download from your MS account for years now.

You should be able to copy the content onto a USB stick and install from there although Ive never had to try that method. Alternatively if you are feeling brave if both laptops are on the same network you could just share the CD drive on the old one and then find it on your network from the new one and install it across your network directly from the CD drive on the old laptop.

·
Premium Member
27,483 Posts
Can you go into detail Ray, I have tried various ways of doing this and failed miserably, please explain in detail.
Making a copy of a film on a DVD now is practicably impossible, I believe copying a programme is just as bad.
Other than really just repeating what I said above Drew, I'm not sure what to add.
I guess my CD of 2007 Office Enterprise is not protected in any way. As with the Office CD in the DVD drive and a 'several GB memory stick in the USB, I can right click the CD and then select 'send to' the relevant USB and stick.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
46,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Christ! How old is the version if its on a CD!

They have been available to download from your MS account for years now.

You should be able to copy the content onto a USB stick and install from there although Ive never had to try that method. Alternatively if you are feeling brave if both laptops are on the same network you could just share the CD drive on the old one and then find it on your network from the new one and install it across your network directly from the CD drive on the old laptop.
Some of us don't need the latest versions though, mine is office 97 and does all I need, and could you elaborate the laptop to laptop one, please.

·
Premium Member
27,483 Posts
Why don't you just try my suggestion Kev.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
31,571 Posts
Office 97! Surprised it will run on W10 but apparently it can.

I would try Rays suggestion first and just copy the entire contents onto a USB pen.

If you really want to have a go at sharing the drive this might help you but if you havent done it before there are a few things that might trip you up. Still it might keep you busy for an hour or two. :D Plus if you get it working you can use it for other things as well. Maybe installing Netscape browser from 1995 :D

https://tipsmake.com/how-to-share-a-cd-dvd-drive-between-computers-on-windows

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
Having access to grandkids/students and using student access to MS products has its benefits too. :grin2:

Terry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.