Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on the last legs of importing our Hymer into Spain from Germany.
On the MOT inspection, the windscreen washer hose blew and soaked the inspector, who took it in his stride.
All else went well until he started looking for the chassis plate.
Now..we have one on the skirt. That wouldn't do.
We have one on the seat support. That wouldn't do either.
In Germany when the authorities transferred the vehicle, the search was abandoned.
Similarly, when the Technico came to inspect and issue a type approval, the search was abandoned.
However, the MOT inspectors said " no platee....no Spanish importee....no Spanish drivee.
The search went on.
Eventually, when the entire workforce of the MOT station had been consulted, someone said.....that
on a mercedes motorhome chassis, the plate is in the front right wheel arch, hidden by the wheel.
And so it turned out to be.
Onwards and upwards.........we'll get there eventually.
bc109

·
Premium Member
13,300 Posts
Isn't officialdom marvellous...... and of course that was NOT French officialdom or to misquote one US Presidential candidate; "there is no French word for bureaucracy, or restaurant, or hotel".......

Dave
Dave

That is a bit harsh. Unless a check is done for the VIN plate a vehicle could have been stolen and re-registration used to cover the thieves tracks.

If the MOT station is required to check the VIN plate I find that quite reasonable for the reason I have stated, so why criticise 'officialdom' - the check might find your stolen MH when somebody tries to re-register it in Spain and you might be thankful.

Anyway well done the MOT station for persevering - it had to be there somewhere, unless it had been removed by a thief:wink2:

Geoff (Normally the beaurocratic anarchist, but not in this case)

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,660 Posts
to misquote one US Presidential candidate; "there is no French word for bureaucracy, or restaurant, or hotel".......

Dave
Made I larf that did Dave.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Interesting date, bc109, puts me in mind of Bob Dylan,Times they are a changing.

When I imported my LHD Hymer from Germany, the dealer who sold it could not find the chassis plate to complete the transfer He searched everywhere and was getting very frustrated, in the end.
We took it to a TUV station, and the guy went straight to the front offside, down into the battery compartment and lifted out a blanking plate from which, with a torch, you could see it, I think it was on back of wheel arch.
Happy days, glad you got it sorted.

Ian

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@JanHank.
The chassis number plus the max axle weights, total weight with trailer, all that one could desire.
More or less the same on the driver's platform under the seat.
But they were not actually " on the chassis", I suppose.
Anyway....no criticism of the Spanish folks at the MOT who were a cheerful lot, as usual in Spain, and I'm
glad the plate required was eventually found. @geriatricBackPack:
Great name ! Next requirement is issue of the permission to drive the vehicle, plus issue of the Spanish number plate registration
plus get some plates made up
Then pay the Gestor for handling the paperwork.
Then get the insurance paid.
Then get the roadtax paid.
Then have a nice cup of tea.
Then get some solar panels and install them, 'cos it will have to spend time now and then in storage.
Then the boss wants me to install TV.
Ain't it great being retired !
Next target....a little sortie down below Murcia with some seasoned hands leading the way.
Watch out for "Bill's Bodges" coming up in the future. Around here I'm known as Dom Bricolage = Mr DIY.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,660 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.