Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi once again,

After having great success on the forum identifying the purpose of the switch by the door of my 2004 Kentucky Royal 6, I have another query.

When the gas fired Trumatic combined water heater/hot air system fires up there is a continuous deep reverberation type noise (for want of a better description) coming from the vent on the side of the van. Quite noisy outside and annoying on the inside.

The heater appears to work fine it fires up OK, the water is hot as is the airflow for heating, the controller/thermostat also appears to be operating correctly. When the desired temperatures are reached the unit shuts off, but when it fires up again the noise returns. When heating either water or the air blow system the noise is still there albeit slightly less. Still annoying though.

I would think that the operation should be silent so does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks once again in advance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Our Truma was very loud, we found one of the hoses had come loose. After fastening it back on it was quieter, but it is still not just a background noise. It is a dull roar even though we have insulated the cupboard that it lives in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ours is a background noise, so at least we know it's working ??

Only had 6-nights away since buying, 2 were in minus 4C and the others more like plus 4/6 C and still used heated blown air. A lot of condensation comes (drips) from the exhaust as well !!

Had separate Trumatics before and were comparatively silent !!

Never that intrusive, after the initial "deep wirry rumble" if that helps you determine whether yours is/has a problem or not!!

Trev

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
From my experience with a Truma Combi there will be different noises depending on what you are asking it to do.
Water heating is virtually silent except for initial lighting up whenn you should hear a few clicks and a 'pop' as the gas ignites.
Space heating can be noisier. It would appear that the fan speed is governed by the difference between the ambient temperature and the required temperature you have set the thermostat to.
If the difference is large then once the boiler has sufficient heat in reserve then the fan can (ours does) sound like a Harrier jumpjet taking off. However, once the set temperature is reached the fan should never sound intrusive as the boiler and fan work together to maintain the set temperature. Our's is whisper quiet and I have to put my hand in front of a vent to make sure its still operating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our Truma combi system is quite loud, mainly when using the blown air heating - when you crank the thermostat up it goes into a sort of "turbo" mode to warm the van up quicker and then steps down to a slower fan speed. It is very noisy when in turbo mode but not too bad when in normal mode or just heating the hot water (probably no worse than a domestic boiler).

One thing it did find over the weekend was that some of the vents were shut and opening all of the vents did quieten things down.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
If the noise & vibration is only there when the fan is running . . then I'm guessing it could be either the fan or the electric motor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.