Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
12,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spoke to DR Company again and very good news

they reckon they can pull the majority of data back off the primary drive which would mean can recover the databases, forum posts etc

Now this is excellent news but leaves me in a quandry,

This new site is much more functional and secure than the previous one, and my personal preference is to continue on with this version and import as much of the old site in as possible, however this has its problems as follows:-

The forum posts will have the full user_id and username traceable within them, but the only way i can match these up is with some complex scripting to look in new database and see if any usernames match up and if so then these could be sort of attached to your new account and hence your post counts etc would suddenly shoot up, this would only be possible for those users who have recreated same usernamed accounts.

This would be a very complex process and take me and Stuart a lot of head scratching to perform but we will prevail :)

As for the specifications, campsite etc databases these should be able to be imported in their entirety :)

Now onto the last thing which is user accounts, now again this is difficult as i will have to code something together to compare the user accounts and see if no matches and if so add them, if their is a match on the username then ignore the account.

As you can see this is all possible, but very time consuming so dont expect them to leap into life over next few weeks ;)

The specs/campsite/weighbridge etc databases are a different matter as they will be relatively easy to incorporate in so i will probably tackle these first.

The costs for the DR are looking to work out at £600ish now as the amount of data recoverable requires them to purchase a new hard drive to transport the data back to me, on top of this i incurred £150 contractor fee for securing the server, updates and configuration, but i am pleased to say that the contributions from the community have paid about 80% of my costs incurred :) so thanks for that guys.

The DR Company expects the recovery process to be completed by Friday/Monday at latest so i can hopefully get the databases back up by next week :)

Until later
Dave ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Outstanding news, brilliant. As for previous posts, it would be nice to have them as there was/is a wealth of information in them. As for reattributing them to the original user I feel you should save your time, effort and money and not bother. I am sure for the most part individual users won't mind not getting their old 'post count' back. (feel free to contradict me below!).

Surely we are all one big community here and there are more important things. Maybe just have a user registered as 'MHF' and he(or she!) can have an xx thousand post count and we all know it's the old site.

Well done on everything so far Dave, keep up the good work (can I have my spell checker back? :wink: LOL) as we once again go from strenght to strenght........ :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Data Recovery

I thoroughly endorse everything that Maverick says. I don't think we would have thought it possible a few days ago that we would hear such great news! I don't think it is worth all the extra work, on top of what you have already had to put in, to attribute old posts (but then I didn't have many posts!!), it's just fantastic that that mine of precious information is recoverable.
Take a bow, you're my hero!!
Mary :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Very good news indeed, at least you can put the most important bits back without too much trouble. I don't see it is realy necessary to import user accounts after all its not that difficult to re-register but like ralph52 says, do what you think is best. Thanks for the update.

peedee

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Good news and I agree with a previous poster that maybe it would be easier to have all the old posts seperate with a facility to search because at the end of the day, most of it is history, out of date by now and I suspect no queries are there that cannot be answered by someone today afresh.

Databases are of course different and that will save a lot of work in the future for them to be stuck in the new site.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hello Dave

personally wouldnt it be easier for you to as has been suggested. keep the old posts seperate with a link for anyone who wants to do a search. I would be happy with that.

Great news though that you are going to be able to get moste of the info recovered& eventually transferred to the new site.

Thanks for all the hard work

Motorhomer

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi all

I have seen recovered / imported data on another forum, its surprising how arkward it is to read through a thread, seeing posts attributed to the wrong author or no author.

I think we all have opinions on who we trust on different subjects and who the others are

Any recovery is going to be good, especially after thinking it could all have been lost.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Dave

I think you have done a great job so far and to recover the old post would a major achivement .

But I would think putting them in a separate historic archive would be the best way as there will be a lot of old information that is totaly out of date now.

Well done so far and judging by how well you have updated the site I am sure you will make the right decsion.

RJA

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with most of what's been said, it's the wealth of accumulated knowledge that's important, not necessarily its source. Provided the site is searchable, it doesn't really matter who provided the information.
Anyway, we can probably all guess which bits came from Pusser and which from George Telford!

·
Vendor
12,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol thanks all for the comments

I have seen recovered / imported data on another forum, its surprising how arkward it is to read through a thread, seeing posts attributed to the wrong author or no author.
got a url for me George so i can see how someone else tackled it ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Update

Personally I like the new site more than the old one. It seems more intuative.
Well done!

Would it not be possible to set the old one up on a second drive and export most of the info into a text format?

I do have access to trade prices for computer equipment if you need that sort of help.

Ian.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi Dave (Nuke)

You got mail

Posted Heads up here as I am not sure you got my last re the extra forum

George

·
Registered
559 Posts
Great news Dave, I am sure the best way would be to just create a link to the 'last' forum and leave this one as it is.

People could always then copy and paste into here if there was something they wished to put in a post.

Great to know the other databases are able to be retained and the cost seems reasonable as well.

I hope you have had the same success with your 'livelyhood' forums.

Many thanks again,

John 8)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Dave you have spent donks on the site, I dont think its too much for anybody to re-register and we start again. There were quite a few on the old list we had "lost" so a clear out is not bad. I think also the info will build up again and will more easily traced as there is not as much "upholstry" at the moment on this site. If its easy to link to a URL for the old site OK do that but imo its not neccessary to bring in all the old threads to this site or even tie them to a posters ndp

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
:D Hi nukeadmin (Dave). Just got back from 4 days away and saw the very good news about the data recovery. Would it not be possible to do tie in with the email addresses as opposed to the usernames? I would think most members would use the same email address even if they couldn't register with the old nickname. Just a thought? :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.