Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We have bought a Frankia motorhome with a Omnistor 6M awning.

Should this awning have some kind of tensioning rafters that go inside the awning to prevent flapping?

Looked on Omnistor website but cannot find any info!

Trev.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Trev,

Our Omnistor of similar size (which came with the van) has no additional tensioning rafters either. I've only had it out once, but we were in a sheltered position (Baltic Wharf CC site) so no real flapping. I have no prior experience of these awnings, but I think some additional rafters would give peace of mind if nothing else.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
teemyob said:
Hello,

We have bought a Frankia motorhome with a Omnistor 6M awning.

Should this awning have some kind of tensioning rafters that go inside the awning to prevent flapping?

Looked on Omnistor website but cannot find any info!

Trev.
Hi Trev,

We have the Omnistor 6 mtr and it has a great tensioning system without the poles/rafters.

When the awning is fully out, look near to the ends of the arms where they fasten on to the front rail. Near to there on the inside are two little levers (ours are painted red). One on the inside of each arm. Simply turn the levers down so they are verticle and then wind the awning back in to tension the material.

If you have the electric version it does it automatically.

What this does is puts the right tension on the material and stops it from flapping.

Remember to wind it back out and turn the levers horizonal before winding it in

Pete

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi

Ours is a 5m awning and we have 1 rafter for the middle of it (has a black plastic foot thing for the side of the van). We recently bought so sun/wind screens and they came with an extending pole for the side one.

The pole isnt much good and were after a second rafter to hang the side screen off. Does anyone have one they no longer need or know where I can get one?

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Pete,

Ours is electric also. Are you saying the whole tensioning process is automatic, or do I still have to find and flip some levers. Sorry if I'm being thick! I will go and have a look later (if the wind dies down) but that means moving the van from current position to wind the awning out.

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Hi
Mine is a 6 meter Omnistor and it does not have any extra rafters, The tensioning system is built in, you need to extend your awning fully then look at the front end of your short extended arms there are two small red switches/knobs just turn these then re tension the awning, to close awning release tension switch them back again and wind in.

You can get an extra rafter which is bowed to let/make rain run off awning.

·
Registered
734 Posts
SaddleTramp said:
Hi
Mine is a 6 meter Omnistor and it does not have any extra rafters, The tensioning system is built in, you need to extend your awning fully then look at the front end of your short extended arms there are two small red switches/knobs just turn these then re tension the awning, to close awning release tension switch them back again and wind in.

You can get an extra rafter which is bowed to let/make rain run off awning.
That's what the rafters are for really - not as much to prevent 'flapping' but to prevent rain water pooling and collecting when, if left unattended, will eventually stretch the awning and burst it with the weight of water. In heavy rain you'd normally lower one corner (furthest from the door!) so that the water shoots off, but if you have a safari room (annexe) then that becomes more difficult to do. That's when you really need rafter arms.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ozzyjohn said:
Pete,

Ours is electric also. Are you saying the whole tensioning process is automatic, or do I still have to find and flip some levers. Sorry if I'm being thick! I will go and have a look later (if the wind dies down) but that means moving the van from current position to wind the awning out.

Thanks,
John
Hi John,

No you still have to turn the red levers then press the remote and the awning then will self tension. What happens is the motor starts to retract the awning then comes against the resistance and stops. It does this 3 times in quick succession then the tension is set. According to Omnistor you do not need a rafter however curiously as Saddletramp says they do supply one but you have to drill the awning to fit it.

So far I've found it to be ok as the tension works well enough to allow rain to run off if you dip a pole at one end

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for that. I think I've got the picture now. The slight breeze that was discouraging me from going out earlier to check has now turned into a steady downpour - so I'll probably have to leave the trial tensioning for another day.

You guys are all so helpful :) .

Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have an awning of the same make, and believe it is 6 mtr, (never measured) but I have two rafter poles. I thank you for the information regarding the tension "knobs" and will have a look.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replies

Hello and thanks for replies as ever folks.

I had tried Omnsitor website and done a MHF and google search to no avail.

Will check for the tension system in the week Pete.

Regards,
Trev.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Trev,

If you don't have "red lock bits" they must have come out on different models. I thought that all the 6 mtr awnings had the levers. Its easy to recognise as in addition to the main arms there are two small stabiliser arms about 12 inches long. Do you have these? It could be that the red bits are a different colour.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Vennwood said:
Trev,

If you don't have "red lock bits" they must have come out on different models. I thought that all the 6 mtr awnings had the levers. Its easy to recognise as in addition to the main arms there are two small stabiliser arms about 12 inches long. Do you have these? It could be that the red bits are a different colour.
Hi

This is the set-up I have on my omnistor 5.5 mtr awning with the red locking catch.

steve

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Hi all,

I'm still struggling with this a bit. I think I need to see a picture, because at the moment I'm not seeing anything that looks like the described parts. No red lock bits and no 12" stabiliser arms. 6mtr Omnistor with electric operation.

And I'm getting slightly excited at the prospect of leaving for summer hols early Saturday morning!!!

Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Thanks. That does help.

Ours too is on the drive in a position that doesn't allow awning extension.

From what I can remember when I looked at this before, we don't have those bits (55 5532 00) or the short stabilising arms on ours. The diagram has "Ver 2007" in the bottom left and corner - our van was first registered new in 2006, and I was told that the awning was fitted fom new, so our awning is almost certainly pre 2007. Could be that the earlier ones were different?

I'll move it and have a look this evening, as opportunities to take further advice will be limited after tomorrow - had I mentioned we were going away in the van? :) :) :)

Regards,
John

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.