Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Just on the way to Venice to Catch ferry to Greece.

Very hot in Italy, last couple of days at 35C and very humid.

Will post again when in Greece.

Regards Pat and Neil

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Have a great time! I'll be interested to hear what it's like in a proper season rather than January (when I went).
Good luck adjusting to the road anarchy - cool heads prevail.
Jacquie

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Greece

Hello just arrived in Greece.

Interesting ferry trip took a while to get on Ferry, because someone drove of the top deck onto the ramp and wrote their car off, they were still in the car as it landed. Fuel everywhere, very hot 38C waiting in the queue.

Met a lovely dutch couple who we wild camped at Plataira with. Today we have driven to Meteora to see the monastries tomorrow.

We are staying at Camping Vrachos in Kastraki Kalabaka, big site with different size plots. Swimming pool and free Wifi.

Having a great time.

On the way up we stayed at the kayserberg french aire 80 plots as it was full.

Regards Pat and Neil

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Sounds like you're having a great time, sometimes you can go right off people :lol:

We stayed at Vrachos back in 2002, do you still get a 'free' gift when you sign in at reception? :roll:
I don't think you will be dissapointed with the monasteries, a truly staggering spectacle and i'm not exagerating.
If you get the time, please do a quick review of the site, it would be much appreciated, i've even supplied the link to make it easier for you :wink: .....

>Camping Vrachos<

Where are you off to next?

Pete

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more from Greece

Hello all

We had a fantastic day at Meteroa around the monastries.

And a fantastic storm in the evening

We have now moved on 235 kilometres to Delphi, and are staying at Delphi camping which has really great views of the corinth Gulf Bay. We are catching a little tourist train tomorrow from the site to Delphi to see the ampithetre and museum. The site is good, restaurant only mediocre, but the views make up for it.

Looks like we are in for another thunderstorm tonight, bit clammy and dark.

Wifi here a bit patchy.
. Pat and Neil

Yes Peejay you do still get free gift from Vrachos and I have left a review of site.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
visiting Delphi

Visited Delphi today, nice when its finished.

Seriously though, we got there before the hordes of tourists on coaches, and the place was quite magical, beautiful setting and well worth a visit.

Camping Delphi is wonderful, the owners and staff are very friendly and we highly recommend it as a base for Delphi.

The Dutch camping club arrived here in force today, so some of the tranquillity has gone, however still great.

Going either to Athens or Korinth Canal tomorrow, may leave Athens as its quite hot.

Regards

Pat and Neil

Peejay I have sent a review of camping Delphi, first time I have set one up can you check it is okay. We Also have Sat Nav co ordinates for it but have not put them in, so maybe later we can.

Pat

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello from a very hot Greece.

We stayed at a place just outside Nafplio at Karathona Beach wild camp, large area covered with some trees, the sea was great here and we got to use our Kayak everyday.

On the 3rd night there was a rave going on at one of the bars as the beach and there was a lot of coming and going. A group of youngsters decided to light a fire and have a bit of a party behind our motorhome, we had to move down the road a bit for piece of mind.

We are now at Plata Beach just south of Leonidido staying in a designated private car park for motorhomes. Staying here for 3 nights. All though behind a bar area it is pretty quiet after 7pm, and the sea is right next to us. We also have all facilities apart from the fact its a cold shower, which is okay after being in the sea.

35C today, we are based by the beach and keep going in for refreshing dips to cool down.

Rode up into the mountains yesterday to a lovely village, the roads were very winding but we couldnt stay for something to eat as the Greeks eat late and it would have meant riding back down the winding roads without any barriers in the dark, not my idea of fun.

Moving to Monemvasia tomorrow.

Regards Pat and Neil

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Hi,
We were round that way last October and had a fantastic time. We loved the port of Gythio. Very vibrant, lovely seafood (lots of cruise tourists).

We went round the Mani, which was beautiful, and we plan to go back
there when we have our motorhome. We were touring in a car and were so jealous of the people doing it in motorhomes. That's what set us off wanting an adventure, which has got as far as applying for redundancy now.

On the route from Leonidi to Cosmas is the monastery at Moni Elenis. It's up in the mountains, but the whole route looked fine for a decent van. Cosmas was a very pretty village with a lively square, high up in the mountains - would be very refreshing after the summer heat.

Then there is Mystras, which was built almost as a sister city to Monemvasia, and is worth a look is you are near Sparta (which was also pleasant in an understated way).

Have fun. I'm staring out at the heavy rain over Leicester at the moment and feeling very jealous!

Lesley

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lesleykh said:
Hi,
On the route from Leonidi to Cosmas is the monastery at Moni Elenis. It's up in the mountains, but the whole route looked fine for a decent van. Cosmas was a very pretty village with a lively square, high up in the mountains - would be very refreshing after the summer heat.

Lesley
Yes that where we motorbike too yesterday.

Sorry its raining in England

I have just added some pictures via our website www.greece.neilandpat.co.uk

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Hi Pat,

A small favour please while you are in the area. :D

Could you check to see if there's a car ferry running from Gytheio to Crete. There was one running a few years ago but like all Greek ferries it is a bit hit and miss.

Many thanks

Don

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Hi,
Just dragged the husband up to look at your photos - very impressed.

Still very jealous. Where are you planning to go next and how long are you travelling for?

Lesley

·
Registered
783 Posts
Loved the pictures Pat and Neil. Look forward to some more. I will be expecting a history lesson as well when we next meet up. We thought that we could maybe do deal again.

Sonja

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry not been able to get internet for a while.

We stayed at Monemvasia beach although no camping signs we stayed 2 nights with 3 other campers, we saw some motorhomes parked in monemvasia both sides.

From there we then went to a lovely little private cove just 2km outside Plytra on the opposite coast to Monemvasia.

We had 3 glorious nights here and the last night we were joined by some german kayaking naturists. I also used my kayak here but didnt follow suit.

We are now in the Mani which is really great because its so different from the rest of Greece. We managed to find a free camper stop just outside Itilio. Today we have riden our motorbike all round the Mani area, had lunch at Porto Kagio at a Taverne where you can also park, will post further details later. had a dip in the lovely sea there, now we are heading back via Areopoli and found an internet cafe.

Dont know where we are heading next.

The temperature is still in its 30C but there seems to be more of a breeze on the west coast.

Kind regards Pat and Neil

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don
Sorry past Gythio, we saw ferry signs saying to Crete, we also met someone who said that they had travelled to Crete via we think Gythio. But not certain.

Pat

Sonja
Will catch up with you soon
Love Neil and Pat

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We had a great time exploring the Mani in two days, probably not enough to do it justice.

Now In Kardamyli on way to Koroni today.

37C here we wild camped next to the village football pitch.\

Don we have been into the ferry agent here, to ask about ferries, we ended up speaking to the bigger agent they said the ferries are a very hit and miss affair the next on was 21st June at 12.45 arrive 7am. That was from Gythio to Crete.

However, the do run from Athens 3 times every day.

Hope that helps

Kind regards Pat and Neil

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
PATSY4 said:
Don
Sorry past Gythio, we saw ferry signs saying to Crete, we also met someone who said that they had travelled to Crete via we think Gythio. But not certain.

Pat

Sonja
Will catch up with you soon
Love Neil and Pat
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info.

The smaller Greek ferry services sometimes stop running for no apparent reason half way through the season. :(

We plan to spend three winter months in Turkey and then take the ferry from Marmaris (Turkey) to Rhodes and then on to Crete. :D

When on Crete we will check the ferries that run to the Peloponnese.

Safe travelling.

Don

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.