Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 2014 Auto-Trail Scout which has a factory fitted 100W (I believe) solar panel.

When I purchased the Scout, I found that the leisure battery was dead and wouldn't hold charge, so I purchased 2 x 120Ah lead acid leisure batteries.

I notice that when I put load on the batteries, the solar panel is only charging at 1.7 - 2 Amps and this was at 4pm in the afternoon with full sun on the panel.

I've checked the Amperage going to the solar charge controller and it matches the reading on the Sargent control panel.

My question is: Should a 100W solar panel be producing more than 2A output in full sunshine? It was a couple of days ago and the temperature was around 25 degrees and full sunshine with the sun around the 11 O'clock position to the panel, so quite direct.

I believe that 100W is maximum for the Sargent EC500, but if the output is so much lower than climed figures, I'm wondering if I could fit a 150 - 175W solar panel instead?

Grateful for any advice.

EDIT: I should add that I'm getting a reading of around 13v from the panel.

·
Premium Member
35,859 Posts
What was the state of charge of your batteries?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi you should have got atleast 5 amps and more might be the solar panel or controller but you need a meter and a little understanding of haw to check
Hi, I've got a meter and decent electrical knowledge, but I'm not sure how to identify what I should expect as a reasonable output from the panel and how to confirm if it's faulty or not.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
As we keep our van in our garage I have rigged up a 100 watt solar panel on the roof of the garage, bearing in mind the cable has to run 7 metres to get to the controller and then on to 2 x 100 Transporter Lithium batteries it was showing 5.6 amps midday and is still showing 2 amps with the batteries at 98 % and it has been 23/24 C today.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Hi if your meter goes to 10a you could disconnect the panel and put the meter across the panels output for a couple of seconds this will show what amps it is producing also on volts it should produce around 20v or more if the sun is shining this will confirm the panel is working then if thats ok we can look at the solar controller

Barry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As we keep our van in our garage I have rigged up a 100 watt solar panel on the roof of the garage, bearing in mind the cable has to run 7 metres to get to the controller and then on to 2 x 100 Transporter Lithium batteries it was showing 5.6 amps midday and is still showing 2 amps with the batteries at 98 % and it has been 23/24 C today.
It definitely seems like my panel is underperforming then!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi if your meter goes to 10a you could disconnect the panel and put the meter across the panels output for a couple of seconds this will show what amps it is producing also on volts it should produce around 20v or more if the sun is shining this will confirm the panel is working then if thats ok we can look at the solar controller

Barry
Thanks Barry, I'll try that tomorrow and report back :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it a framed panel or a stuck on flexable panel
It's a framed panel, I'm pretty sure it's this one:

I notice, in the specs, the Amps at peak power is only 5.11

Manufacturer's product code:PSM100WP
MANUFACTURER:NDS
Nominal output - DC Volts:12
Cell type:Monocrystalline
Number of cells:36
Open circuit voltage - V :23.7
Maximum power output - Watts:100
Current at peak power - Amps:5.11
Voltage at peak power - Volts:19.57
Dimensions L x W x H - mm:1320 x 530 x 60

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't as yet, but I did check the output with a multimeter a few days ago and the Amps was 0.2 and the voltage around 18v if I remember correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts