Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a new desktop computer running Vista.

As I used to do with my old one I put it into Sleep mode when I leave it.

This one though is always "awake" fired up and ready when I go into the room.

Sometimes it seems as if it was incoming mail that woke it, sometimes it wants to update something and sometimes it seems as if it is somebody slamming a door in the next road that is all it takes !

It seems to make no difference whether I put it to sleep manually or let it go off on the pre-set power system, after 10 minutes.

All suggestions gratefully received please. It's annoying me !

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
I had a similar problem until I found the cat playing with the computer mouse on the desk - just tapping it with his paw. This was sufficient to start the machine up again. Try the "hibernate" setting if you haven't already.

Colin

PS - just a slight movement can cause it - the tension in the mouse cable "springing" the mouse a milimetre or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Colin. I think I can discount cats so it looks as if I'll have to build a vibration proof desk to put my mouse on ! The room it is in does have a rather shaky floor and anyone using the stairs beside the room does shake the floor.

I'm going to try hibernation ( the computer, not me, though might do both)- and a stiff letter to Seattle to suggest they make less sensitive computers. Given they are in an earthquake zone you'd have thought they'd have learnt this the hard way.

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,965 Posts
The big benefit is that as you have just bought it you are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7 next month. Then you will have an operating system that works properly.
Vista is the most unreliable, quirky and irritating operating system that Microsoft have ever marketed.
Gerry
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,151 Posts
GerryD said:
The big benefit is that as you have just bought it you are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7 next month. Then you will have an operating system that works properly.
Vista is the most unreliable, quirky and irritating operating system that Microsoft have ever marketed.
Gerry
Windows Millenium edition comes a close second! I work in IT and unless we are positively forced by a customer we wont supply Vista on a new (business) system. Still supplying PC systems with XP Pro Service pack 3. It works and doesnt come back to haunt us!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GerryD said:
Vista is the most unreliable, quirky and irritating operating system that Microsoft have ever marketed.
Gerry
Crikey ! I've used all systems since punched cards and was just congratulating myself on how nice Vista is ! I don't keep up with changes theses days and didn't realsie 7 was so close.

barryd said:
Windows Millenium edition comes a close second! .
I was just about to say that. I never got on with NT however but seem to be the only person in the universe who did not.

Thanks EJD but the Sleep option is convenient as it means I can leave windows open and programs running but still save a bit of electricity. I suspect the huge screen of this one takes twice as much as the last one.

The wretched thing is behaving like a small child at bedtime. I turn it off,come back and find it alight and humming, come back later and find it ( guiltily ? ) just closing itself down. It has a secret life. Perhaps I signed up to one too many registration programs yesterday and it is working for the CIA on the quiet?

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,965 Posts
barryd said:
GerryD said:
The big benefit is that as you have just bought it you are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7 next month. Then you will have an operating system that works properly.
Vista is the most unreliable, quirky and irritating operating system that Microsoft have ever marketed.
Gerry
Windows Millenium edition comes a close second! I work in IT and unless we are positively forced by a customer we wont supply Vista on a new (business) system. Still supplying PC systems with XP Pro Service pack 3. It works and doesnt come back to haunt us!.
Same here, our IS will not support Vista even though we sell them in their hundreds of thousands. Still using XP professional and Office 97.
Gerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GerryD said:
Still using XP professional and Office 97.
Gerry
If you're talking bugs then Office must hold the record. I've just bought a new copy of Word with this machine and it is SO much better than the 2000 version I was using. That had so many little quirks and foibles that I was the only one who could use it.

I've still got a box file in the corner of my room with all the correspondence and accounts of phone calls to and from Cliff Stanford when I moved to Demon in the early 90s. And then came Turnpike and wow! So advanced. Talk about steep learning curve !

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Check your windows updates settings - you may find it's set to update at some God-awful hour like 3 in the morning - this will wake your pc from sleep.

Any antivirus will do the same...

Always make sure they're set to a day time hour...

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Touch wood I might have discovered what is causing this and- possibly- even sorted it.

Apparently any changes in light levels can cause an optical mouse to wake the computer 8O . In lieu of a mouse blanket ( or a patchwork quilt -there's a project for the van) it suggests removing the check on the "Always Allow this Device to Wake the Computer" in the power management section of the Device manager (Mouse).

Also apparently activity on the network can cause it and there is a similar tag to stop that waking the computer, in the same place under Network Adapter.

Clearly this is something that Windows have met before !

Thanks all,

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
GerryD said:
Vista is the most unreliable, quirky and irritating operating system that Microsoft have ever marketed.
Gerry
I bought a Toshiba Equium laptop pre-loaded with Vista a bit over a year ago. My preference would have been for a machine running XP Pro to fit in with the desktops I also use and because of the horror stories going around about Vista.

A year on, I've had no significant problems with Vista - its been stable and done everything I've wanted it to using most of the Office suite of programs. Actually, I've had many more problems with the machines running XP Pro.

Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
loughrigg said:
Perhaps I've just been lucky.
Mike
I suspect that when it is preloaded on a new machine there are far fewer problems than there are when it is loaded onto a machine already running a previous operating system.

This time, apart from documents, I've not transferred anything from my old machine and have gone for Vista compliant software and drivers from day 1.

Fingers etc crossed all is well so far.....!

G
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Grizzly said:
Touch wood I might have discovered what is causing this and- possibly- even sorted it.

Apparently any changes in light levels can cause an optical mouse to wake the computer 8O . In lieu of a mouse blanket ( or a patchwork quilt -there's a project for the van) it suggests removing the check on the "Always Allow this Device to Wake the Computer" in the power management section of the Device manager (Mouse).

Also apparently activity on the network can cause it and there is a similar tag to stop that waking the computer, in the same place under Network Adapter.

Clearly this is something that Windows have met before !

Thanks all,

G
Hi

Check in the bios as well, you'll find a couple of options such as 'wol' wake on lan etc

Lee
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top