Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We are driving from Cherbourg to Biscarrosse ( SW of Bordeaux) on 15th June. We are not in a hurry as we Plan to be in France for 6 weeks. We plan to have two one nights stops on the way down, perhaps in the region of Le Mans and Poiters. Neither of us are keen on wild camping. Any suggestions?

Brendan

·
Premium Member
27,797 Posts
Hello Brendan.
Not sure when your ferry docks at Cherbourg but Le-Mans is about 200 miles from the port.

Ray.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
le Mans is a little off route :cry:
The normal way from Cherbourg is Rennes, Nantes, La Rochelle Bordeaux

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Route

Thanks all,

Ideally I was looking for two stopover sites on the way south. Plan is to spend about a week in the South, then work our way back up the coast via La Rochelle( I night in the municipal site near the harbour) over to Ile de Re for a week, we spent a week there last year and know a few sites we would like to revisit. After that we are meeting up with some friends near Quiberon for a couple of weeks We aim to spend a week at St. Lunaire , near Dinard on our way back to Cherbourg.

I have details of Chateau de Chanteloup at Le Mans but it seems a bit elaborate for an overnight stop.

Brendan

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Hi Le Mans is way off route from Cherbourg!
A nice municipal site is Confolens in the Poitou Charentes area slightly north west of Limoges.
Right on the river and a 5 to 10 min walk into town.
Perfect :D

or if you really want to go in the direction of Le Mans haw about La Fleche a nice site or an unofficial aire across the river from the site and we have used this many times.
By the way, this is also only a 5 minute walk to the high street and a small supermarket is across the road.
It is set in a really beautiful location.

To find La Fleche it is south of the road from Angers to Le Mans on the way to Sammur

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Brendan,

Two suggestions for you.

Just beyond Le Mans you could try Amboise, near Tours. There is a camp site by the river, right alongside a secure Aire, reserved for motorhomes. We stayed in the Aire in April and were quite happy (there were only 5 motorhomes in the night we stayed). It's an easy walk into the town for food and sightseeing (I particularly wanted to see the home of Leonardo da Vinci)

Further south we found a lovely small campsite called Moulins de la Vergne at Pons, midway between Poitiers and Bordeaux. Run by a Dutch couple, who are very friendly, the site has a bar and restaurant and free wifi. It's a 10 minute walk into Pons which is a very historic village, and well worth a dalliance.

Whatever you decide have a great time.

Dunworkin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.