Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a secondhand Elddis Firestorm. I am being advised by friends that I should not buy until have hired for a holiday, as I will find that I can't park in supermarkets and in town car parks as they have barriers lower than the van. Is this a common problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
answer to your question

Hi kernal
I think the first thing to worry about when buying a motorhome, isn't about where to park, but the layout and functionality of the van itself.
It took us three vans to get the motorhome that we felt was right for us.
As for parking it....are you talking of over-nighting in a supermarket car park or just parking the van while you shop.
We have a 100 foot Autotrail Dakota (well 7.4M) and find no problem parking at our Morrisons or Teco's to stock up. But we struggle a tad with the corner shop, you see....its a bit tight. It's all relative. Big van = then big carpark. Welcome to the best site on the net !
P & G

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Welcomwe Kernal, you don't happen to be the dyxlexic twin brother of 'Colonel', currently resident somewhere sur la Continent?
:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway back to parking.

Before we got our Adria last year we had a Transit panel van, but with a converter fitted roof that topped out at 9ft 3ins.

Over the 2 to 3 years that I ran it as my only transport I think I came across about half a dozen places where i couldn't park and there was always a suitable alternative nearby.

Our local Waitrose has a height restriction cos part of the car park is built over a railway tunnel and they don't want to risk HGV's trundling over it.

The three local Morrisons, two Sainsburys and the Asda don't have height restrictions and neither will the Booths in Ripon when it opens.

So don't worry too much about the height restrictions but try and make sure the van suits. Like, for instance, Elddis's/Compass's are known for having quite small fresh and grey water tanks, would that be a problem for you?

SDA

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Hi and welcome, I just wondered if your friends actually had a MH as sometimes folk that don't seem to know more about them than the folk that do LOL :wink: if you see what I mean.

Can't say we have had any trouble at all with supermarkets, more places like seafronts (Yarmouth) or Ferry Meadows Peterborough.

I agree with others the best thing to do is look for a layout that suits your personal needs etc I am not sure ref hiring I suppose it is a good idea but remember when you get your own MH it is a totally different experience as everything is your own.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else and say please don't worry too much about parking and concentrate more on what kind of layout and size suits you the best. Getting a motorhome that is right for you is the most important thing and if you get that wrong it can be a very expensive mistake!

Our MH is 28.5 foot in length so it is quite a big un but in all honesty parking isnt a major issue for us and like gillnpaul said its all relative. Obviously with a larger vehicle you avoid certain situations but a lot of the places we avoid, we probably would still steer clear of even if we had a smaller motorhome. If we are planning to visit somewhere where we envisage there may be a problem parking, then what I tend to do is ring the local car park dept of the council or the tourist board and enquire about suitable places to park a large vehicle. 9 times out of 10 there is somewhere nearby to park up for a couple of hours or so and it's just a matter of finding out where.

Supermarkets like Tesco seem to welcome motorhomes and providing you don't arrive during their peak times, when everyone is hunting for a parking spot too then there is usually ample parking places to choose from. Where we live the Tesco here definitely hasn't got a height barrier and I am quite sure most Tesco's and Morrisons etc are the same.

I am sure once you have had a bit of experience you will realise parking isn't such a big deal so please don't be put off by what your friends say.

Good luck and once you get out on the road and begin to enjoy the freedom that owning a motorhome allows you I am sure you will never look back!

All the best. :D

Sue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only want to park to shop or visit a town. My own local supermarkets and car parks don't have barriers, but I am told when you get down south it is common.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
How far can you walk? :?

If you can manage half a mile, forget the worrying. Even if there is a problem with barriers, it's almost always possible to find somewhere to park within half a mile of where you want to go (unless we are talking about a large city centre of course.)

It's an inconvenience - not a big problem. :wink:

Dave

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
You can't get more "dwon south" than here! the majority of supermarkets are just fine - the smaller town centre ones (we have a Morrisons in Bognor town centre that has a small car park, you'd have a problem there, but Tescos is fine). We certainly have a problem with some council car parks having height barriers (Arun are a real pain!), but you can normally find somewhere on street. Chichester district car parks are fine, though!
Having said that, length is one of our considerations in buying a 'van - to be able to park up in towns & villages when touring round is one of our considerations - that's why we are only looking at up to 6m length (well maybe 6.5 at the outside!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.