Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I have purchased two new Hymers over the years, one from the factory and one from WWZ, Halle. In each case I gave them a letter confirming that I would pay the VAT in the UK and supply them with a copy of the receipt from UK customs authorities. This was accepted in each case and I did not have to make a VAT payment when collecting the vehicle.

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Stanner is quite correct.

Though I cannot quote the HMRC communications directly due to its marking, here is the bottom line and why. This applies to a NEW vehicle import to the UK from the EU and I am absolutely content it is the Gospel truth.

1) The German (say) dealer is entirely in its prerogative to charge German VAT. They are liable if it is subsequently shown that one of its customers evaded VAT. However, they WILL refund the VAT when given an original receipt by the UK's HMRC showing UK VAT paid.

2) HMRC will not accept prepayment of VAT on the basis of the invoice. This is because they cannot levy VAT on a vehicle that has not yet arrived in the UK, as they have no legal right to demand or collect the tax on a vehicle that is not physically here.

Thus, as HMRC concede, there is no way for the buyer to be in control of avoiding paying, albeit temporarily, two lots of VAT.

On the upside, I have got HMRC to apologise for the wrong (albeit consistently so) advice given by 3 of their staff on 3 separate occasions, and there will be training to remedy this.

Also, I am now sitting on a load of Euros back from the dealer as a refund of the VAT, and watching the exchange rate with amusement. My only dilemma is whether to convert them to sterling on the eve of the Scotland referendum, or if I think a Yes vote will win, hold onto them for more gains as sterling tanks.

Dave

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
Thanks Dave. Absolutely crystal clear.

It has always been the case that vehicles up to 6 months old moved within the single market have to have VAT levied in the country in which they are registered. So it's unlike a "normal" transaction on a sale by a trader to an end customer (rather than another VAT registered trader), where the local VAT is paid and then the customer can take the goods into his own country or wherever. I'll dig out the relevant VAT notice tomorrow if it will help anybody else.

I'm still absolutely amazed that the VAT enquiry line people could get it so wrong!

have fun with the Euros :wink:

And the Mosel was absolutely stunning, very busy at the weekend - grab a stellplatz spot & don't move.....

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
When we bought new from Germany in April 2007 we did exactly the same, paid in both countries and then claimed back from Germany. Paid UK vat at 17.5% and claimed the 19% back from Germany.

We got loads of crap, conflicting advice too from HMRC and complained.

Nothing changed there then has it, 7 years on.

Paul.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't remember all this hassle back in 2002 when I imported my BMW 5 series from Germany.

The dealers invoice didn't include any VAT and he delivered it to the UK by transporter.

I then had to send all the documents, sales invoice, certificate of conformity and a completed registration form to the DVLA. By return I got a VAT bill which when paid they sent me my V5.

Job done.

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just been through this. I was told twice on telephone "help" lines that if VAT was paid in the EU then it would not have to be paid here. That was good news but I did not entirely believe it as there was no mention of this in the published guidelines. And true enough you have to pay the VAT here.

I have gone through the NOVA application process online and there are a few issues to watch for and it takes longer than the 48hrs claimed.

There is no means of attaching the invoice to your online submission (not that I spotted). The form ask how much you paid so I quoted the Gross amount including the VAT, again there is no way of clarifying this online. I duly got a request for the Invoice which I e-mailed to them but made the mistake that as they are dealing with imports they would recognise the Net Price, the VAT and the Gross Price at the bottom of the invoice. I should have spelt this out to them which I eventually did after they charged the VAT on the Gross price.

All was corrected but it delayed things.

I am still awaiting the VAT refund from the German Dealer which I am sure will happen soon. The first salesman we dealt with was excellent and very helpful but by the time of collection he seems to have moved to other duties and his colleague does not respond quite so quickly.

Perhaps as we collected the van ourselves they had to charge the VAT.

Cashflow is the problem and exchange rate risk so make allowances but it has all been well worth it compared to buying in the UK.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Importing a motorhome

Following on from the VAT discussion I would like to thank the responses I had a while back on the subject of driving the van on temporary foreign licence plates in the UK. I eventually decided to do this on the basis that it was a delivery trip back to home and to get the vehicle checked for the VCA. I had checked transporter rates and they were not bad and worth considering if you are nearish to a ferry terminal. We are up in Scotland so I saved the money.

Important thing for me was to be sure of the insurance and after a lot of unproductive searches and phone calls I was saved by the NFU Mutual who understood right away what I wanted to do and gave me fully comprehensive for collection in Germany based on the VIN - great service.

I changed the speedometer dial, was nervous about doing this but it was very well explained by the supplier, Lockwood International.

More trouble with the bureaucracy. The VCA used the wrong weight for the gross weight so I had to get that sorted, to be fair to them they were very responsive and sorted it out.

DVLA rejected my New vehicle form because I had 800 miles from the delivery trip. I filled in the Used vehicle form for them and sent it back with the original New form and an explanation and I eventually got the Tax disk based on the New Vehicle registration.

Moral of all this is to explain as much as possible when sending in forms, do not assume they know what they are doing.

All in all it took 5 weeks from import to getting the tax disk and back on the road during which time I was parked up off road.

Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
I and others use a dealer in Germany that are experienced in exporting as they do a lot of export trade with Scandinavia. They do not withold vat, on the understanding that you agree to send payment details. They offer fully comp export insurance for 5 days with export plates. Plus they will do all the changes for you if necessary. Headlighs, fog, speedo ( which you have to send) couldn't be easier to deal with....Problems can start with DVLA when you get it home!lol

My point is that if this one can make the process so easy why can't others......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Eddieo, thanks for the info. We are also thinking of importing a left-hand drive from EU and have been looking for advice on which companies are best in terms of experience in this matter. Would you be kind enough to provide details of the company you have dealt with?

Much appreciated
Steve

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.