Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have just been to the weigh bridge to check how heavy we are for our 10 week voyage into Europe next week. The van which is a Swift Kontiki 640 was loaded up with 100cc scooter on the back, loads of food and drink including Mrs D's 30 jars of Lemon Tea!, books, folding mountain bike etc etc etc. Just a few bits and pieces to put in. Because of the scooter I tried to load as much as possible up front and we came out at 1750KG on the back which is dead on the limit and 1560KG at the front which is 90KG under the limit, total weight 3320KG out of a max 3400KG. There was no water on board and only half a tank of diesel. I believe the Diesel tank is right behind the front Axel. Does this mean then that if we fill up with Diesel then the weight will go probably to the limit on the front but take a little off the back? The van drives as it normally does but to be honest appart from a few extra books and some extra food we dont really have much more on board for a 10 week trip than a 2 week trip. Clearly if we drive around with 100 litres of water on board then we will be over depending on how much fuel is in as well but when travelling long distances I tend to make sure there is no water or waste on board.

Also I assume because we are under 3500KG we will only have to apply for the standard Vignette if we venture into Switzerland? Is 3500kg 3 and a half tons then as I hear people talking about old tons and metric tons and I dont really know what they are.

Cheers
Barry

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Good grief Barry, chuck some tea out. Jars are heavy , take half of the clothes out. You need to make space and save weight for the vino on the way home. Dont forget to add your weight and of course her lady ships.
Vignette about 35 euro metric weight.
MGW maximum gross weight
have a safe trip

I used toweigh the caravan If i could just lift hitch to towball it was ok 8O
Dave P

·
Premium Member
31,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Dave

I should have said that weight included the lovely Mrs D who weighs less than her tea and a big fat bloke. She loves her tea and considering she is 8st and I am 19st then Im not sure I can tell her to leave it!

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Hi Barry i was once pulled over on M62 Plod got out of car and i got out of van. Do you think you are overweight. I answerd yes about one and a half stone.

Result one hour of going to weighbridge and findin out the van was 5 kg under weight.

Some people have no sense of humour.

Dave P

·
Premium Member
31,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah plod can be like that. Im quite pleased though with the result. Thought we would be way over but then I guess we would if everything was full. God knows how much we must have weighed last september as we set off to the lakes with the same stuff on board (not as much food and drink) a 3.1 Metre inflatable boat in the Luton and a Yamaha 8HP outboard! Not taking the boat to Europe as its just too heavy and the engine is a pain to store. Its a shame as I have been around boats all my life and recently sold my 4 berth cruiser which was on Ulswater for years. Mrs D got a new bathroom out of it which broke my heart even more. I did wonder about an inflatable Kayak but unless its got an engine on the back and goes like the clappers Im not really interested. Still, I am looking forward to getting some miles done on "Pig" (Peugeot Speedfight 100) when in the Alps or in the warm weather abroad. Its certainly been the best extra for the van. Great fun. Just been in to Barnard Castle on it this afternoon in shorts and a T Shirt and a P**s pot helmet which drew a few stares!

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
So much for protective clothing eh.
i went out for a blast yesterday morning at 8 o clock.
Why do all the idiots come out at 10 o clock. Back to front caps and vauxhall corsas. If you go down A1 give us a blast when you go past blyth . The old roundabout has gone at last.

Dave P

·
Premium Member
31,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know its bonkers really going out in a T Shirt on a bike but it reminded me of our care free days biking around the Greek Islands on a variety of hire bikes with just shorts and a T Shirt and no helmets. Me and Mrs D used to go up mountain tracks and all sorts without a care in the world. Once went to the top of a 8000 ft mountain in Crete on a Cagiva 650 trail / Enduro bike which was awsome until I had to get it back down. I think it took about 40 minutes to get to the top and around 2 hours to get back down. Would probably do it again but would always wear a helmet these days.

wouldnt have thought you were worried about the Corsa boys if that bike in you Avatar is yours!

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Thats son in laws track day bike that we share, along with his dad.

My road bike is suzuki gsxf

Corsa boys no trouble realy quick twist of the wrist and away.
Trouble is when thy stick in rh lane on A1 for about seven miles without a care in the world at 65 ish and plenty of spaces to pulover to allow faster trafic to overtake. :evil:
dave p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.