Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perfect Motorhome

is there such a thing as a perfect motorhome ?

We are on our second motorhome, and just been on a short trip to sidmouth and as the week went on we was weighing up the good and bad from both vans.

we found ourselves saying
if only this,and i like that on here,and wish we could have that from our old van.
and im thinking is it possible to have everything perfect in one van

anyone got a perfect van

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D Hi Riggy. Everyone's idea of a perfect motorhome would be very different. However, if you were to fit every item ever fitted to a Motorhome/Camper/RV. Whether of necessity or a luxury. Then fitted it into something the size as the Tardis (as someone previously mentioned). Maybe, just maybe. You would have the perfect Motorhome. :D

I nearly forgot to mention. As economical as the best ever Mobil economy winner. 8O :D

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
I wouldn't think so.
Every van is a compromise in some way and the only people who may get somewhere near perfection are those who have a conversion done to their own design.

Even then they will have to compromise somewhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We are having our van built to our own spec. We spent a week with the design team at MCL finalising what we want and working out all the compromises. You want space but not too much length. You want to be independant, tough, durable but not too heavy. You want headroom and to stop people peering in all day but you don't want to be too high for bridges. These are general examples but it's the same for every aspect of the van right down to the door handles 8O
I think that's something that people don't consider much when talking about van designs; we want everything and when it falls short we don't know whether it is poor design or whether there really is no choice because of some other consideration.

Of course, we are very fussy buggers and most people's wishlists are something like: 9 metres long, parallel sofas, motorbike in the back.
Even though we have decided almost every aspect of the van ourselves, I doubt it will be perfect - after all it's only our first crack at vehicle design :lol:
It's looking good so far though!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
8O benandlizzie with the amount of money you will undoubtedly be paying for your own design from MCL you could have bought 10 off the peg to suit any and all occasions. 8O

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
benandlizzie

when its all done ,maybe you could come back to this posting and tell us if you now own the perfect Motorhome.

cus im not sure if that home will ever be out there

·
Registered
44 Posts
benandlizzie with the amount of money you will undoubtedly be paying for your own design from MCL you could have bought 10 off the peg to suit any and all occasions
But some of the stuff on our new van you won't find on any other van. Besides the first thing most people do when they get a new van is buy a whole load of extras and change a whole load of stuff. Many people will alos have to spend a fair amount of time and effort fixing various things that go wrong. We actually think we are getting a bargin.

But don't take my word for it, we'll be having an open day/weeekend when it's all finished and everyone's invited to come and have a play.

when its all done ,maybe you could come back to this posting and tell us if you now own the perfect Motorhome.
Will do

cus im not sure if that home will ever be out there
Quite agree, but mainly because people are never happy with what they have - adaption theory. As soon as we ordered our new van, our current one didn't seem too bad (because we knew we wouldn't have it forever). When we found out the new one was delayed, our current van started annoying the hell out of us again. Nothing so complicated as perception.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D I have to agree with the following statement:-

Quite agree, but mainly because people are never happy with what they have - adaption theory. As soon as we ordered our new van, our current one didn't seem too bad (because we knew we wouldn't have it forever). When we found out the new one was delayed, our current van started annoying the hell out of us again. Nothing so complicated as perception.

We updated to a newer RV (same length) and didn't realise the space we were losing (old one had FULL basement storage). We are looking to update once again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think like many things people buy as they go through life, their first motorhome is sometimes not the right choice.

Its hard to rise above the excitment of looking at so many layouts, and extra's
that its easy to over see the practical side of the van.
Its also all to easy as well, to see a nice van that catches your eye,and for what ever the reason you end up saying yes to it.

we was like that but lucky for us we chose a nice little van that served us well,
until we got fed up making with making up the rear lounge bed because the overhead cab was to small.

have we got the right van

who knows ! we have today but as our life style changes and we find ourselves with more time off and using it more and more we just might have to change it again.

so who has a van with no niggles.......not many i should think

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if there is some correlation between the amount of money spent and happiness with van? When we bought out first van we only had 2K to spend, so our options were pretty limited :lol: but we were thrilled with the one we bought, had some fantastic holidays in it and never minded the lumpy, funny-shaped beds, the lack of hot water - just having water on board was a thrill - except when it came through the high-top and soaked my feet :roll:, but even fixing that gave us a laugh and sense of achievement. As we've spent more, we've expected more (not unreasonably, of course) and so I can imagine that if we were buying a new van and spending upwards of 25K we'd be looking for perfection - but I don't believe we'd find it. One of the "arts" of motorhoming is compromise I think :)
-H

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.