Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Do Your Pets Travel With You In Your Motorhome?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

When we first started out travelling full time in our motorhome, over a year ago, it was just Dave & I on board. We had contemplated taking our two cats with us, but decided they would be happier with a friend of ours, who has temporarily adopted them!

A few months into our travel, something was missing. We had thought about getting a dog many times in the past, but what with work commitments we always decided against it. Now, however seemed like the ideal time! A month or so later along came our beautiful lab Bradley, who we got from a breeder living in France. It was probably the best thing we have ever done, he has been the best travel companion anyone could ever wish for, and he hasn't chewed a single thing in the motorhome since we had him at 10 weeks old!!

We have met quite a few motorhomers whilst on our travels, who regularly take their cherished pets with them. We have seen alsorts, from rabbits, cats, birds, a mouse & of course dogs. They all seem quite happy!

Do you take your pets with you on holiday? (if they are small enough of course!)

How do you get on?

Would be interested to hear..especially from those who take their cats :D

Julie

P.S I'll leave you with a photo of our gorgeous lab Brad :wink:

· Registered
554 Posts
Hiya Julie, he certainly is a gorgeous lab !

We take our dog (Callie) on holiday with us and she loves it. We were worried at first as she came from pet rescue and is a very nervous dog (she must have been badly mistreated).
When we first got her she was car sick, so didn't know what to expect when we got the motorhome.

Callie

We have always had dogs, used to have two heinz 57s (Gemma & Sadie) but sadly they both died a few years ago. We had a caravan then and that was why we got into camping, wanted them with us.

Sadie & Gemma

· Registered
461 Posts
Hi pet lovers..................

we have inherited my mothers dog, and she is an oldie,so it would be unfair to drag her around for our pleasure (she stays with daughter when we go away)

What i would like to know is:

Do you MH's feel any safer with the addition of a dog on your travels and is that why you take them.(aswell as companions)
or do you believe that having a dog in the MH makes it any more secure

Just askin, as we were the only ones without a dog when we had our incident in france

Coincedence or not...............................

Paul

· Registered
554 Posts
Although Callie is a nervous dog, I am sure that if someone was creeping around the van she would alert us.

By the way, she is no longer travel sick and loves it in the van. We can't go in it for anything without her right behind us! Making sure she doesn't get left behind

· Registered
1,979 Posts
We have a German Shepherd Cross who comes with us sometimes. When he does, at night he sits in plain view on the passenger seat.

I keep meaning to do a window sticker, Break in?, GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY"

I don't think anyone would.

· Vendor
12,382 Posts
hi
yes Having Brad does make you feel a little easier at night, he would probably lick anyone who broke in to death but he is a very good alarm dog and barks if he hears anything outside the mh. He also sounds like a huge dog as he has a gruff bark ;)
The van also has a Attention chien sur la garde etc from France sign that alerts people to his presence. Along with the Strikeback alarm, the stickers informing anyone (multi-lingual) that we have an alarm fitted and the webbing strap fitted between cab doors in situations that neccesitate it we sleep soundly at night and have had no issues in just under 1.5 years of full timing all around Europe :)

· Registered
619 Posts
I always take my dogs, (well - apart from once when I went on a weekend date :oops: ) they keep me warm at night and as already said, make people think twice about any uninvited visiting. Their bark is very loud but just like Brad, would probably lick anyone to death.
I don't have a warning sticker though - good idea, I will sort one out. :wink:

I took my cat to a show in it once, she loved it but I had to be constantly on the alert to prevent her escaping so not such a relaxing experience.

overthehill

· Registered
202 Posts
Hi all you pet owners 8) yes we always take our two with us the main reason why we bought an "A" class to be able to have some space when we are away for weeks at a time :D Also we have now got them there passports so will be with us when we go to France in September/Octobe :lol:.
ps when i get it worked out will post picture

· Registered
93 Posts
Companions

Hi all, Wife and I have two yorkies, not the small ones, but the standard yorky type, they just love to be with us when we go out, they are first ones in the van and usually sit between the two front seats when travelling.
I do feel it gives one the added bit of security at night, although never had any problems, (as yet, fingers crossed) but our two are very sharp and soon let us know if anyone is near, yet remain quiet during the daytime hours, we would`nt go anywhere without them, but as yet only travel the UK.

Mike and Pearl

· Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Zoe comes with us, though we haven't done a pet passport yet. When we cross the channel the boys look after her or she'll have her own holiday with the breeder, staying with her doggy mum & sisters.

She was more travel sick than our previous Golden, but conditioning with short trips ending with a pleasurable walk, plus one of those pheromone sprays recommended by the vet, seems to have cracked it. Didn't have a single drool this last weekend, let alone any worse, despite twisty and uneven roads.

When I'm alone with her in the van, she travels in a Doghaus dog tent, which is convenient and quickly packs away in a compact backpack once we arrive.

Dave

· Registered
44 Posts
Here's a pic of Farley eating part of Holyhead mountain!

We may not always appreciate his penchant for smelly, wet and often dead and decomposing things!! But we wouldn't be without him - he's wonderful :D And he barks as loadly as my parents golden retriever despite being half the size! Excellent piece of mind.

· Registered
903 Posts
Hi,

Our Jake loves to get in the van at home,he will lay for hours in the front window.

He showed us up last year by refusing to move on the beach at Yarmouth,i said it was time to go home,he sat down and i had to pick him up and carry him back to the van.Hopefully here is a picture of him when i made him get out of the van at home,he got out and sat behind it...............with the hump.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.