Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have just purchased a A/S Executive 1995 Petrol with 50000 miles(Genuine) and I am not sure if the Cambelt has been changed. The previous owner bought it from Stewart Moulands, and his wife said she thinks it had been changed as part of the sale argeement, (her Husband has had a major Stroke, and is too ill to ask at the moment). They bought the Van from Moulands last Sept, but there is no mention of a Cambelt change in the paperwork, but it seemed to have a 6 month Warranty contract.

I phoned Moulands, but they said they would have no records of it having been changed, again another unhelpful or disinterested Dealer.

So my quandary is, should I take a chance and assume it has been done or "Bite the Bullet "and change it, or does anyone know how to tell if a Cambelt has been changed. Cheers Andy

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hi,
Cambelt changes should be noted in the service book, if not I'd assume it hasn't been done, it should have had the belt changed TWICE by now according to its age, don't risk it would be my advice, if it breaks the bill you get plus the inconvenience far outweighs the cost of a belt change. I had mine done earlier this year at 7 years old but only 14,000 miles, plus four new tyres last year despite the old ones looking OK, things fail from being parked up :roll: this ain't no cheap hobby mate :lol:
Regards,
Chris

New pensioners Loddy? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Andy
Is yours the new shape cab or the same as Talbot Express etc ? as it is around the time of change and the older TE Peugeot etc did not have a cambelt it had a chain,I would check with someone at a main dealer who should give you a proper answer.Looking at the belt to see if it looks new with the marks still OK is not the way to do it !!!

Wyn

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
foll-de-roll said:
I phoned Moulands, but they said they would have no records of it having been changed, again another unhelpful or disinterested Dealer.
So my quandary is, should I take a chance and assume it has been done or "Bite the Bullet "and change it, or does anyone know how to tell if a Cambelt has been changed. Cheers Andy
Hi Andy,

If you are local to us, pop in and we will have a quick look for you.

Peter

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys The van is the new shape, so I think it will be the non- Chain Cambelt. For peace of mind I think I shall replace it. Thank you for your advice,and offers of help. Does anyone know of a source of Peugeot parts? Andy

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you're mechanically minded, consider doing it yourself.
It's a long job but that's just because you have to remove loads of other covers & things to get at the belt.
Changing the belt itself takes 10 minutes. No harder than changing a fan belt, you just need to be careful about marking the pulleys and lining everything up right.
Get hold of a copy of the workshop manual (or haynes etc).
You will get a cambelt on t'internet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.