Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Have just purchased a Peugeot 28HDI 2005. I asked dealed to change the cambelt, as Fiat 2.8 engine is similar if not same, and Fiat say change it every 4 years. Peugeot say ask dealer,who says 80000 miles.Service on Peugeot is 2 years or 20000 miles. so that means 8 years. is this correct? PS I don;t think the dealer did change the cambelt.

Thanks for help in advance, Mike.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
We have a October 02 Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDI
When it was serviced and MOT'd this spring the Peugeot dealer recommended we had the cam belt changed although we have done only a little over 35,000 miles.

He based his recommendation on the age of the vehicle.

·
Registered
734 Posts
autostratus said:
We have a October 02 Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDI
When it was serviced and MOT'd this spring the Peugeot dealer recommended we had the cam belt changed although we have done only a little over 35,000 miles.

He based his recommendation on the age of the vehicle.
Yes - I believe it's 7 years for a Peugeot and five years for a Fiat - don't ask me why there's a difference! I would have thought they would have been the same if I hadn't been told otherwise. Seems to indicate that the cam belts aren't the same ......

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peugeot cam belt change

Thanks for your replies. As the van is 4 years old in July and at the moment only done 13500 miles, If I leave it until 6 years it will still be well under the mileage and inside recommended time for change, I should be Ok. Mike.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Ask your self this.
How much to change a cam belt? a few hundred.

How much for an engine rebuild? A FEW THOUSAND.

Change every 4 years does not matter if you don't do the miles that is based on your van working as a commercial not as a camper.

Andy

·
Registered
734 Posts
inkey-2008 said:
Ask your self this.
How much to change a cam belt? a few hundred.

How much for an engine rebuild? A FEW THOUSAND.

Change every 4 years does not matter if you don't do the miles that is based on your van working as a commercial not as a camper.

Andy
Last year someone I know had his Fiat 2.8 cam belt go at 14,000 miles but at 6 years old. He hadn't thought it was necessary to have it changed because of the low mileage. It cost him £1,000 for an engine re-build. The consensus of opinion is that it was BECAUSE of the low mileage that it went - being stored for long times in one position without the benefit of 'excercise'.

·
Registered
853 Posts
We have an 04 reg. Peugeot 2.8hdi. Peugeot would not commit themselves to a definite answer when I asked this question of them. I have since been advised from other sources that due to degredation of the material used, the cam belt should be changed every 5 years on low mileage vehicles. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I also know of a Peugeot engine which had only done 12000 miles (12654) to be exact and cam belt went and it cost over £1000 to repair, He now has his replaced every 10000 miles, It wasn't a MH but same base vehicle.

Even though Peugeot recommend 60000 plus if it goes before you have no claim.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I will be having my cambelt done in July , its 4th birthday only 3800 miles but it has been standing for a while before I bought it. I have heard of low mileage models going at very low mileage, i think it must relate to the age of the belt. Anyway if nothing else its peace of mind. Chasper.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We had ours changed recently on a 6 year old Fiat 2.8 with 35000 on the clock. No obvious wear on old belt, but I agree .....change before it's too late.

It's an interesting thought that some of the 'new' motorhomes will have been sitting around for a couple of years ... ie halfway through their cambelt life and they ain't been anywhere yet!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2003 Fiat ducato 2.3 JTD - has done circa 8000 miles, but at last service/MOT was advised that cambelt needed to be changed every 5 years. The garage said the old cambelt looked to be in good condition with no obvious degrdation - but better that than running the risk of engine damage should it fail I guess.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have 2003 Pug with the 2.0HDI, Cambelt is 72k or 10 years which seems a long time so i am changing it now at 18k just because its just over 5 years old, remember to change all the other bits as welll whilst doing it. Its buttons extra whilst doing the change.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I had mine changed last Friday on my 05 Peugeot Nuevo 2.0 HDi, only done 4400 miles, but i know of an 04 with 14500 miles that went kaput a few months ago. I don't think that standing for long periods without use is good for them. Anyway peace of mind is what i have now. Chasper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Having just become proud owner of a mature but much pampered motorhome and having read all the feedback on cam belts and things I have booked van in for cam belt/timing belt/tensioners & water pump change. Base unit being a Fiat Ducato. My garage have quoted £300 inclusive parts and since this van is going across Europe in late October to collect hubby and dog I am erring on the side of caution. Receipts with van say a cam belt change !500 miles ago but rather be safe than sorry.
There are no more rubber bits I should replace are there - does it have a fanbelt?
Cheers - Jennie

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
On most vehicles Cam belts are usually changed 50/ 60.000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first, also helps if you use top quality belts such as Gates. Timing belts on inspection dont usually show any signs of wear, stick within the time and milage limits and you shouldnt really ever have any problems

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
CliffyP said:
I have 2003 Pug with the 2.0HDI, Cambelt is 72k or 10 years which seems a long time so i am changing it now at 18k just because its just over 5 years old, remember to change all the other bits as welll whilst doing it. Its buttons extra whilst doing the change.
Picked her up today 18,084 miles, cambelt and tensioners, also mouting on exhaust was squeaking £180 all done by my local garage.

Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
CliffyP said:
CliffyP said:
Picked her up today 18,084 miles, cambelt and tensioners, also mouting on exhaust was squeaking £180 all done by my local garage.

Better safe than sorry.
That's an important point that is often overlooked by the less mechanically minded.

Whenever the cambelt is changed, make sure you ask for the Cambelt, Tensioner & Roller to be changed, as it's usually the a seized up roller that will cause the cambelt to fail. Changing just the cambelt is asking for trouble.

Also don't think it's safer to get the job done at the main dealer. We took our Vauxhall into the main dealer and it took them FOUR DAYS to change it. It transpired the young lad given the task did not time up the engine correctly, causing valves to hit the pistons when the engine was switched on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.