Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I store my motorhome outside my home, behind gates, between the house wall on one side and a wooden fence on the other. Due to the length of the parking area the van must be in one particular spot it cannot be moved up or down or any further to a side.

Just above the passenger door on the house roof is my television aerial. Pigeons seem to take a great delight sitting on my TV aerial and dropping their mess onto the van.

I know I could use a cover at a cost of around £450, and I know I could clean the mess from the van every day. My first thought was to resite the aerial, but thats not as easy as it sounds. I would have to have a man in and PAY him.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would stop the birds from sitting on the aerial and defecating on my pride and joy. :( Frank

·
Premium Member
17,936 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Used to have the same problem, it seems that when they take off they evacuate their bowels, a sort of jet assisted take off. The mast used to rattle and shake and you could hear it in the house as they landed and took off. The mast was in a place that was there when I bought the house and I could never figure out who had been brave enough to put it up.
One day the strain of thousands of take offs and landings completely destroyed the mast and it hung down to just within reach of my disc cutter as I leant out of a bedroom window.
I dont have the problem anymore, the reception is no good now, but we use the sat dish only.
I reckon you will have to take it down if you want a solution, or breed some birds of prey in the back garden.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Frank,if moving the aerial is the answer,it would not cost that much.
I had a cover for my caravan a few years ago,cost almost £200.
Only used for one winter,it`s easier to clean the van than the cover,had to throw the cover away,it was just one solid mass of birdie poo.

Les

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Tony, if it was the roof they were sitting on your suggesting would be a winner, but I can't see them fitting on an aerial. Frank

·
Premium Member
17,936 Posts
They're slim Frank.cut them to fit on the splines of the aerial,they're poly so shoudn't interfere with the signal.

tony

·
Premium Member
27,745 Posts
Hello bigfrank3,
My open barn seems to encourage swallows to nest in the apex with a considerable pile of poop in the breeding season landing on the roof of my van.

I place old offcuts of carpet on the van roof and under their prefered pooping place with a brick to hold it down. Just remember to remove before driving off.

Ray.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.