Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to buy our first motorhome and are considering either a 25ft single axle or a 28ft twin axle van.We will be touring Europe for months at a time so need the space a bigger van offers.we are concerned about pitch sizes for the twin axle particularly in Italy,Greece,Portugal etc.Is this size of van considered "big" abroad or will we find plenty of sites that can accomodate this size of van?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hello Martynj and a warm welcome to MotorhomeFacts. May your stay with us be a long and happy one.

Pitch size in Europe has never been a worry for us. OK, we only have a 23 footer, as in the avatar. The pitches always seem huge, very generous.

I remember the main site at Saumur where I could turn the car and caravan in one go on the pitch!!

We tend to use aires-des-camping cars; again, some are very generous whilst others can be very tight. Have fun finding out!! :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Don't worry - you'll have very little problems with the length most places in France [& Germany]

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I agree with both of the above. I would say though, that pitches seen to get a bit smaller the further south you go but unless you are on the Cote D'Azure the change is minimal.
By and large you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I can only comment on experience in France that all the sites we stayed on were more than generous in size.

However, do I recall someone saying about site owners not liking twin axle jobbies........or is it an age thing (I have another birthday today and am reeling about the speed of time).

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Hi and welcome, I have had 26' 28' and 34' units the only one I have had problems with in all the countries you mention is the 34' one, My one at the moment is a single axle and my last one was a double axle I have NEVER been turned away because of either size or No of axles, I have been Touring now for months at a time for many years and never had any problem at all.

I think the only places where size and No of axles makes a difference is On Toll Roads, But I don't use these so I am certainly no expert in that field (Or any other)

You get whichever you want and go for it with our blessing and enjoy it.

But a word of advice here.

Just because you are going for months at a time does not mean you need to have more stuff, The VAST majority of European sites cater for all needs, There are washing Machines and all the amenities you need for cleanliness and comfort, We find that we are loaded the same amount for a week or for six months.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I can't imagine wanting to spend that much time inside the MH - the main benefit of touring Europe is that you get the chance to spend most of your time outside.

Ironically the smaller the MH, the more space on your pitch for enjoying fresh air and sunshine. :)

SD

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
We visits sites in France for the Alan Rogers Guides, about 50 every year.

The main problems associated with motorhomes are soggy pitches, low trees, pitch access difficulty due to too much hedging or narrow site roads and narrow roads on site approach. Pitch size is not usually a problem. Many sites have a selection od pitches that they offer to the larger outfits.

With motorhomes over 28ft some sites say no and others advise telephoning ahead so that a larger pitch can be reserved.

Don't be put off there are many sites out there just waiting for you to arrive.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I have seen a few sites in out of the way sites saying that twin axles are not allowed
It seems that they are aimed at the French "travellers" but will affect all !

Have others seen these?

Ian

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
In my visits to French campsites as a site assessor I have come across several that say twin axles are not allowed but do this to stop the itinerant workers from taking over the site but will take genuine campers.

Others are adamant that they are banned.

A few say that there is a large surcharge but will not make genuine campers pay it.

It's all a little confusing.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hi.

The twin axle thing is aimed at the caravan, not the motorhome. We have never had a problem in the past 4 years. We have found we do not fit on all the aires as some are only OK up to 7mtrs. If you do not fit on an aire move on to the next one.

steve & ann. ------------- teensvan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.