Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This very sad event is being reported by BBC News;

Caravan deaths

it concerns two tragic deaths currently being investigated by the Police and HSE as potentially a Carbon monoxide linked incident.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE check you have a properly fitted and functioning carbon monoxide alarm in your motorhome.

It could be YOUR life that is saved, or that of your loved ones.....

Thanks, for bearing with me - you can hopefully see why I "shouted" in the title - for which, my apologies if it has caused offence.

Dave

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
A timely warning at this time of year.The most likely scenario is that they had the heating on all night and went to bed and a fault developed with the heating system which caused poisonous carbon monoxide fumes to leak into the caravan.

I haven't got a carbon monoxide detector fitted in the motorhome but intend to get one now,thanks for the heads up Dave P.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
This is not only sad but avoidable ,

This was one of the first posts I got involved with on this site and as qualified Gas fitter I had expounded upon this very scenario,

They should be a legal requirement,Mandatory I.E no arguements what so ever (non of this freedom of choice drivel)

The properties we Rent out in the UK have to have a gas certificate and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors fitted as well as electrical etc

Here is mine in the Daffodil fitted and working (hypocrite I aint)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The cost of carbon monoxide detector is so little that it's a no brainer not having one in a van. Those most at risk are the vans with the old type fire that vent through the roof as these fire are not balance flue and therefore not room sealed. I believe the new ones, such as the Truma S type, are now all room sealed and therefore present no hazard. However better safe than sorry and fit a C/O detector.

Wobby

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
wobby said:- I believe the new ones, such as the Truma S type, are now all room sealed and therefore present no hazard.
Didn't know that Wobby, so thanks for today's "something new"! :wink:

I would still have an alarm though - just in case. I'm a bit cavalier about some of the ultra-safety practices we are told to adopt these days, but carbon monoxide isn't called "The Silent Killer" for nothing!

Dave :D

·
Premium Member
23,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew that Truma's are room sealed, but the oven and the gas hobs are not of course....

I have also heard of people using the small Cadac inside......

I was told that Lidl have CO alarms cheap w.e.f. Monday but cannot find any link to it, so it may be an old offer, but B&Q have them from £13.74 and if you wait till Wednesday and use your Diamond card that comes down to less than £12.50

What price a life?

Please, encourage anyone that you see or know to ensure that they have one fitted, and that it has been checked to be working.......

Dave

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Fortunately we have both alarms fitted but the sad thing is that many of the least expensive vans and older vans that would perhaps be most susceptible to gas leaks or possibly faulty equipment, may be the last to have extra money spent on alarms.
Either Aldi or Lidles were selling these alarms last year I believe, at a very low cost.

As Pequin says DO NOT DRIVE WITHOUT A MONOXIDE ALARM fitted. .

Alan

·
Premium Member
32,151 Posts
I think I got ours from B&Q a few years ago. £10-15 something like that.

Its housed about chest height 2-3 ft above but set back from the fire in the back lounge. I just got some of those wonderful 3M sticky velcro things and stuck it on the shelf. Dead easy, even for me.

I never leave the heating on all night though anyway.

Years ago a mate of mine and myself nearly copped it on a boat. Flipping thing had no heater so after a boozy lunchtime on a cold day back at the boat in the front cabin I (stupidly I know and I know better now) lit the two gas rings to warm the place up. 8O

We were both completely zonked out an hour later with both rings still lit and it was only my pal off another boat who came banging on the door to see what we were up to that woke us, just in time I suspect. We both had really bad headaches for ages.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Years ago a mate of mine and myself nearly copped it on a boat. Flipping thing had no heater so after a boozy lunchtime on a cold day back at the boat in the front cabin I (stupidly I know and I know better now) lit the two gas rings to warm the place up. 8O

We were both completely zonked out an hour later with both rings still lit and it was only my pal off another boat who came banging on the door to see what we were up to that woke us, just in time I suspect. We both had really bad headaches for ages.[/quote]

That would've been terrible, seven years of MHF without you, doesn't bear thinking about.

Wobby :wink:

·
Premium Member
32,151 Posts
Yes Wobby! Just look how I have enriched all your lives and provided thousands of posts about breaking things and how to fix them.

Near death experiences seem to follow me about for some reason. Never get on a plane or a ferry if Im on it. I am banned from the Channel Tunnel. :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
barryd said:
Yes Wobby! Just look how I have enriched all your lives and provided thousands of posts about breaking things and how to fix them.

Near death experiences seem to follow me about for some reason. Never get on a plane or a ferry if Im on it. I am banned from the Channel Tunnel. :D
See why I paid my subs for another year,
just to keep an eye on what this fella gets up too,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Misty

·
Premium Member
23,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mistycat said; just to keep an eye on what this fella gets up too,
you forgot to add;

mistycat should have added; and stay well clear......
I realise it was probably just a slip of the fingers..... :lol:

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
we have a B&Q monoxide detector fitted it states that it does not detect gas only carbon monoxide
read on another forum that a gas detector is not necessary as the gas is heavy so falls to the floor & as the van is not fully air sealed the gas escapes
not sure on this may fit a gas detector as well

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
No one has said with any conviction where to place the detector in relation to the trauma heater. Have we a gas approved person who can enlighten us.

cabby.

Please don't start the ,we put ours here because ,posts on this one, as we really do need the correct knowledge.

·
Premium Member
23,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No one has said with any conviction where to place the detector in relation to the trauma heater. Have we a gas approved person who can enlighten us.

cabby.

Please don't start the ,we put ours here because ,posts on this one, as we really do need the correct knowledge.
I am not being a smart-ar$e but I hope that you meant Truma heater......

I was sat there thinking what??????

Ours is placed on the ceiling outside the cupboard that houses the Truma - it is where the device said to install it - away from windows and near any possible sources so is mid-way between the hob/cooker and Truma, working on the principle that IF the Truma gives off carbon monoxide the detector is not far from where we sleep and is above us as HOT gases will rise and if it is coming from the Truma it is likely to be warmer than the normal gas in the vehicle, but we don't operate the gas heating when we are asleep......

I don't know if others agree with that placement but it seems to be OK for us.......

Dave

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I don't always proof read, sorry Dave, did it get the old palpitations going there.Mind you this blooming presumptuous spelling does not help.

Did I not read that the detector should be around the bed height.

cabby

·
Registered
84 Posts
The cost of carbon monoxide detector is so little that it's a no brainer not having one in a van. Those most at risk are the vans with the old type fire that vent through the roof as these fire are not balance flue and therefore not room sealed. I believe the new ones, such as the Truma S type, are now all room sealed and therefore present no hazard. However better safe than sorry and fit a C/O detector.

Wobby
Just because an appliances is room sealed dosn,t mean its safe.
i am a gas engineer and can confirm that the appliance needs regular servicing and when the seals break down its no longer "Room Sealed"
tissy

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.