Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone any experience of portable air con units, we have a Autosleeper Trident and are going to France for 3 weeks in July, due to my wifes ill health and the need to rest in the van a great deal we were wondering if one of these would help keep the van cool.
Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.
Regards
Reg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Having used these at home some years back before having fitted units put in I can only agree with the ear defenders comment. They are very good but the noise is horrific, its like a genny running inside the room specially when the fridge unit is running and not just the fans.

I would have gone for that option if it hadnt been for the noise but i really dont think i could stand it specially whilst trying to sleep. Just hope the roof mounted units are a lot quieter?

·
Registered
568 Posts
hi iam an air con engineer and have never found a portable unit that was any good .there are a lot of better ways to cool your m/h .and dont forget that you will need to keep all the curtains /blinds closed to get max cooling out of any unit .

·
Premium Member
17,936 Posts
Firewood,
If there are better ways please tell us what they are .

tony

·
Registered
568 Posts
hi if your staying on a site for the whole time you could get a split pack some of these have a quick connection on .these are not the best in world but thay will do the job . and thay are quiet .these an be found in most big diy stores .
and when you have done with your hol fit it in the house .
i may have one of these units that you could have for your hol if you want i dont want anything for it and it will be tested efore you have it .if you come here to collect it i will show you how to fit it

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Offer

firewood said:
hi if your staying on a site for the whole time you could get a split pack some of these have a quick connection on .these are not the best in world but thay will do the job . and thay are quiet .these an be found in most big diy stores .
and when you have done with your hol fit it in the house .
i may have one of these units that you could have for your hol if you want i dont want anything for it and it will be tested efore you have it .if you come here to collect it i will show you how to fit it
Now there is a kind offer, worth the £10 subscription!.

Back to the topic. We have used one in France twice. Did not take it last year and we had a heat wave, 46C!. When we have taken it, worked okay but routing the condeser eaxaust meant a lot of difficulty. Our is a good high quality Italian job with rotary compressor. A lot of the cheap ones (Chinese mainly) on the market are just an expensive fan.

I have been toying with the idea of adapting our portable to be fixed or spending some money on one of these, see post below.

A thread I hyjacked off Pete AKA Venwood

Trev.

·
Premium Member
17,936 Posts
According to eddie(vanbitz)they are a pain to fit and not efficient(see recent thread)

tony

·
Registered
433 Posts
portable air conditioniing

Hi,
we purchased a portable aircon unit especially designed for caravans from Kool camping in lutterworth Liecs. It is designed and made in Italy and very good it is too! It is a split unit with an umbelical cord which pushes the coolant through to the fan. I hang the outside part on the van's window ledge and there are brackets for the inside fan unit to be placed in front of the window. As mentioned above, you do have to blackout the van with the blinds in order to retain the cool air. The unit is dead quiet, only uses a couple of amps ( good for continental sites with 3amps) and will even run off our 1Kw honda generator. On campsites we let it run throughout the night and day when the temp gets really hot outside. If you are interested give them a ring or go on their website.
A very friendly bunch of guys who will give you a good demo if you go round.

Kool Camping Lutterworth leics. tel 01455289389

Hope this helps! cheers Ned

·
Premium Member
17,936 Posts
Have you got another weblink or product link Ned

tony

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have one and its not bad

i use it for my office shed in the garden

I tried it in the motorhome and it was OK, but it was a painto move etc so I got a permanet roof box for the motorhome

but their web site is gone

·
Registered
433 Posts
aircon

hi Gemmy,

Sorry it appears that the company has fallen victim to the present financial crisis. I will try and dig out the paperwork and see who actually makes the product and see whether I can follow up the product and find a new importer. I do remember that it was nearly all in Italian. Give us a couple of days.

Cheers, Ned

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many thanks everyone

Hi,
Many thanks everyone for taking the time to send replies, I think we will have to hope it is not too hot and there is not a heat wave.
Thanks again.
Reg

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Cool Items

Hello,

If you want a split they can be expensive. Ex Hire ones can be had for under £100 but as they are ex hire they maybe heavily used or abused. You could always buy one and if you dont liek it send it back.

Ex Hire Splits £99 <Here

Here is a cheap B&Q one

B&Q Spilt< Here

Electrolux Branded Vented Model

WAS £400 now only £159 < Here

Bear in mind most portable spits have an umbilicle cord that cannot be disconnected unlike the mentioned further up in the post.

Trev.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Re: Cool Items

teemyob said:
Hello,

If you want a split they can be expensive. Ex Hire ones can be had for under £100 but as they are ex hire they maybe heavily used or abused. You could always buy one and if you dont liek it send it back.

Ex Hire Splits £99 <Here

Here is a cheap B&Q one

B&Q Spilt< Here

Bear in mind most portable spits have an umbilicle cord that cannot be disconnected unlike the mentioned further up in the post.

Trev.
the one iam offering is free

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Re: Cool Items

firewood said:
teemyob said:
Hello,

Ex Hire Splits £99 <Here

Here is a cheap B&Q one

B&Q Spilt< Here

Trev.
the one iam offering is free
I shall make use of it and will collect at your convenience.

Trev.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Portable Air conditioner

Hi Ned
Did you ever post the details of the manufacturer of the unit you bought from KoolKamping. I found it 1 time on the web but have lost it again

Johnb

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Portable AirCon

:lol:
Hi all
Surfed and surfed and surfed and finally hit paydirt.The split aircon units are of Italian manufacture and are to be found by following the link
http://www.laminox.com/sito italiano/clima/climamistral.htm
They have a contact in the UK he is [email protected].
Any of you still in the market there a range of 7 models available from 2400btu to 3500btu drawing max of 2amp. which means these should be useable on the majority of European sites.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.