Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've booked the MH into a campsite in Ireland for 1 night in July when I'll have my grandson with me. I thought a site, with a playpark, would be a good idea n let him meet n play with other children.

It's costing €35 (eeek!!) and I can't arrive before 3pm else it costs an extra €10, nor can I leave after 11am else it costs a further €10.

I understand with their pods n glamping they need time to turn around the accommodation but what's the problem with a pitch?

In France you can sometimes get on even before 12, and leave by 12 the following day.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Do you have an ACSI card Jean? Might not help with this pitch but maybe in the future?

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
I have been on sites like this. If they are popular people turn up really early to secure their "favourite" pitch and wait around near reception until it is vacated. Then there are those that go off for the day when they are supposed to vacate their pitch. CL's are much easier but not many have play parks. One we went to in Sussex, though, was devoid of any facilities and it was full of families who spurned the trappings of modern life and let their children play with all the other children in "made up" games. Some of them pitched their tents in a circle and built a bonfire with songs and everything! Our daughter disappeared to play with the other kids and I remember being very nervous because a child, around that time, had been abducted through the window of a caravan o_O

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
The night before our Eurotunnel travel in April we booked the CAMC site at Folkstone. We booked a "Ferry Pitch". Due to operation stack being in place we did not arrive till after 6pm & left at 6am the next morning for an early train. The cost of out 6.5m x 2.5m patch of gravel with electric was £33.60! We have used this site many times over the years due to it being so close to the tunnel but not sure I will ever again.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the winter with heating on n no EHU I use between 1.5 n 2 litres of gas. So if a pitch charges extra for EHU n it's more than £1.50 (and it always is!) then I don't bother. It also saves the hassle of deploying the EHU if it's raining 😉

·
Premium Member
31,759 Posts
Even they are hard to find now though :(
Not if you look hard enough. I'll post a map later when I'm not on my phone of cl sites someone mapped out in 2018 of off grid CL sites. So far on this trip bar one at Glastonbury all of ours have been fields with basic facilities and no hookup and all practically empty. That worries me a bit as I don't want to lose them.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any in the island of Ireland Barry? I've looked at (and used, tho not recently) the CL and CS network of the 2 caravan clubs but it seemed to me their prices were way too high.

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
We used to know one near our daughter. They told us that the reason they did not supply power and charged just a nominal fee was because they got a nicer kind of camper :)

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Site prices are creeping up definitely however we find that the ACSI scheme counters this whilst away on the Continent. We found a, lovely site in a great little town recently for 16€ a night, fully serviced and on the banks of a river. Couldn't fault that. Most sites we used were between 18-22€ a night which suits us fine.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I will look forward to that list. I will be in the UK for 3 weeks mid September and do not NEED OR WANT all singing and dancing campsites (never have). Just somewhere with a view and services for the loo really. Grey waste waters the hedges normally. This is a visiting folk type of trip so pubs with a decent carpark and a good menu and ale on tap. What more can a person want?

Cheers

Alan

·
Premium Member
31,759 Posts
Any in the island of Ireland Barry? I've looked at (and used, tho not recently) the CL and CS network of the 2 caravan clubs but it seemed to me their prices were way too high.
Have you tried the search for sites app or website? I think there are a fair few Aires cropping up in Ireland now. They will all be on there

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried the search for sites app or website? I think there are a fair few Aires cropping up in Ireland now. They will all be on there
I kinda forgot about that one Barry!
I've booked the MH into a campsite in Ireland for 1 night in July

Which part of Ireland ?

:cool:
Probably the northern half of the island Alan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts