Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Do you own/use a privacy room with your motorhome?

• No - Not considering / Don't see the point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - but seriously considering getting one

• Had one but didn't use it so sold it/gave it away

• Have one but rarely use it

• Have one and use it fairly often

• Have one and use it most of the time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the forum there appears to be a very mixed opinion as to how useful privacy rooms are - Some people appear to get them as an 'essential' and then don't use them - but I imagine there are many happy and regular users.

Reason for the question is I'm considering purchasing on (I'm specifically after a 4m large Fiamma clip system type I'm on the lookout for but they seem to be about £550 which seems a little steep)

I'd be interested to know your views, so I thought a poll would be a good idea so that everyone can benefit who are also considering...

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
We bought one on here from a fellow mhf'er two months ago only been able to use it for a weekend so far, but we will definitely use it again in fact we slept in it on a airbed.
Taken it to France at the end of may ideal for us if its a bit raw outside..

Having said all that though....We love it, but you might hate it & think you've wasted your money :roll: :D

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
sunroom

Hi, we have one but only use it if we camp locally, when we take my wifes car. I suppose then you could argue that we are using MH as a caravan. Takes about an hour to erect and also to take down, so not a difficult process.
curlyboy

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
:lol: I really wanted a safari room (after finding out awning -roll out from van- safari room fitted round awning -CARAVAN awning all of it- we woz confused but no more) 8O ours even had a name LITTLE HOUSE ON THE SIDE lol, we also got a new front when we changed from an autotrail scout to an autotrail cheyenne, and the awning was bigger, (even the front panel on its own was :? phew a lotta dosh! Still, we used it quite a lot, on both vans,
BUT now wouldn't buy one = safari room that is, after a 5 o'clock am and a 11.30 pm get out and get it down, have decided its not for us
BUT if it is a guarateed no wind place,
maybe then again maybe not, maybe
not ................ah well
the size of our third and current van, autosleeper duetto kinda settles that
cos we got no room for a safari room anyway.............
:roll: but we might get an awning, if we can sort out the bed!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We invested in a net sunshade system whilst at Peterborough. So far seems a very good alternative to the heavy and complicated Safari rooms.
Weighs a couple of pounds and is up or down in minutes.
http://www.worldofmotorhomes.com/advertiser/my-sunshade-lillypad-leisure.html
Husband and wife company. He was going to do it all but he now sells and she makes... Life doesn´t change :roll:
Patrick

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Have one but never use it!
The 45Kg bag full of canvas resides in my garage never to be moved!! :roll:

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
I'm with peejay, not on site long enough to bother with one, not even considered it. Too much like a caravan set-up :roll: . We tend to travel about, even when we're an a site for mpre than a couple of days.

I know some people use a free-standing set-up, where you leave the thing there and travel about.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Privacy room

Hello,

We have a GH Awning with the full sides, front and skirt to stop the drafts coming in from under the MH and cover the wheels, the monty.

It realy is superb, you wind out the awning, slide the front in, slide the skirt in the grooves along motorhome and then erect the sides. The sides are the hardest part, mainly because the MH is so tall and reaching up to get the sides in is hardest. Takes under 30 Minutes. Caravan owners are always amazed how quick and easy it is. It is even easier to dismantle it, takes around 15 mins.

That said when it up it is great, but you obviouly cannot go anywhere, but for us that is not usualy a problem as we have thought out our holiday. We use bikes, walk or get public transport and that suits me better than getting the car out every time we run out of something trivial. Or decamping for milk or bread.

We just had 5 nights away and set the room up the day we arrived, cycled over 40 miles while we were away. When we go to the Med for summer, we set it up and it stays up. We camp near the beach, walk, uses bus or boat services or get the bikes out.

Now then, that is us. We are at the moment fairly agile and healthy. If you are more senior to us or struggle with lifting and shifting, cycling, walking or similar, forget it. It will be too much hard work and bother.

Overall I would say we use it around 60% of our days/weeks away.

Hope this helps anyone considering a safari room/complete awning.

Trev.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Having had an awning with a caravan and umpteen bad temperd discussions with my vertically challenged wife while trying to thread the bl...y thing through the awning rail I have concluded that Safari / Provacy rooms are God sent. By myself I can put the thing up bit by bit and take it down the same way. We do this for most shows as she doesnt argue any more. Once the structure is completed the intrinsic strength of the Fiama awning and its tollerance to wind is much increased.

C.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
More support for BoggyMike and Peejay I'm afraid! :D

If it's hot we sometimes use the wind-out awning for shade, but not always.

If it's cold we lounge inside and read a book or something.

Rarely more than three or four days in one place, so couldn't bothered with the faffing of a Privacy Room. Got nothing to hide anyway! :roll:

Dave

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
We have a safari residence which is good for long stay holidays of a week or more.Inside the awning we had mains electric by using a splitter from the supply and then used a toaster,cool box and George Foreman grill.

This worked great when parked up over long periods with family.However as we now go on our own the privacy room is just about redundant.It takes about 45 mins to put up and does improve the stability of the wind out awning in high winds.

This was us in Cornwall last year

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
We have an Omnistor Residence. Its a great bit of kit and is specifically designed for longer stays In this capacity it has no equal, being extremely stable, completely watertight and quick to dry for packing.
Last Christmas we actually ate our Cristmas dinner in it, we were kept warm by a small patio heater and it really was an extra living space.

The downside is, its heavy and uses up payload and takes up valuable storage space. So we have to take an advance decision as to what sort of camping we are going to be doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.