Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Themenstarter
Heb een recente camper Fiat Ducato S8 met de 2.2l van april 22. Tijdens een lange rit naar Spanje merkte ik opeens dat de wagen voor 1 seconde inhield alsof hij remde. Eerst geen aandacht aan geschonken maar na een aantal keer na elkaar hetzelfde begon ik mij zorgen te maken. Soms zit er 100 km tussen of anders 3-4 keer kort na elkaar.
Geen idee wat hier het probleem kan zijn.
Is er iemand die hetzelfde heeft ervaren of weet wat dit kan zijn?
Dank u

· Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Translated by Google: "Have a recent camper Fiat Ducato S8 with the 2.2l from April 22. During a long drive to Spain I suddenly noticed that the car was holding back for 1 second as if it was braking. I didn't pay attention to it at first, but after a few times in a row the same thing started to worry me. Sometimes there is 100 km in between or otherwise 3-4 times in quick succession.
No idea what could be the problem here.
Has anyone experienced the same or know what this could be?
Thank you"

Heb een recente camper Fiat Ducato S8 met de 2.2l van april 22. Tijdens een lange rit naar Spanje merkte ik opeens dat de wagen voor 1 seconde inhield alsof hij remde. Eerst geen aandacht aan geschonken maar na een aantal keer na elkaar hetzelfde begon ik mij zorgen te maken. Soms zit er 100 km tussen of anders 3-4 keer kort na elkaar.
Geen idee wat hier het probleem kan zijn.
Is er iemand die hetzelfde heeft ervaren of weet wat dit kan zijn?
Dank u

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,248 Posts
In 2021Ducato something similar can happen if the side of my accelerator foot also touches the brake pedal.

I assume it's an electronic safety thing.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,248 Posts
That BTO business is the problem I had. I found the pedal positions in my recently bought Ducato were a bit different to my cars and was positioning my throttle foot too far to the left sometimes brushing the brake pedal. Once I figured that out and made the effort to keep my foot as far to the right as I could the problem went away. I do feel the pedals are badly positioned as well as not well spaced. The only other vehicle I ever had this problem was an Alfa Sud Cloverleaf, a pretty car but excruciatingly uncomfortable to drive due to pedal positioning.

The following post is from here; Fiat Ducato - Power Loss when driving | FIAT Ducato

Hi,
I have experienced a very similar problem with my 2017 Fiat Euro 6 Pilote motorhome which would suddenly lose power without warning.

I took it to a Fiat commercial dealer who confirmed that the cause of the power loss was activation of the "brake throttle override (BTO)". BTO is a "safety feature", built into many modern engines, that will cut throttle power if the brake and throttle are pressed simultaneously. I have it on my Volkswagen Passat where normal function is restored immediately the foot is removed from the brake pedal. In short there is no problem with Volkswagen's implementation of the BTO.

The problem with the Fiat implementation is that power is not restored after the foot is taken off the brake pedal while the accelerator continues to be depressed. In fact, the only way to restore normal function is to take both feet away from the pedals for 3-4 seconds to reset the system.
I argue that this is counter-intuitive as most people will depress the accelerator if they suddenly lose all power. Furthermore, there is no reference to the brake throttle override or how to recover from the power loss in the vehicle manual.

Please note that I was not intentionally driving in a way that both feet were applied to the pedals simultaneously. I can only assume that one of the pedal sensors was overly sensitive or that I brushed the brake pedal with my right foot accidentally on occasions whilst changing gear. In any case, the sudden loss of power came as a shock and placed me into some very dangerous situations whilst I owned the vehicle.

I did write to Fiat about this issue but they were adamant that there was no problem with the vehicle and the problem was caused by my style of driving.

Readers of this reply can decide for themselves if they think it is safe to drive a vehicle that will suddenly lose all power if they inadvertently brush the brake pedal whilst changing gear. Furthermore, the power will not return if they continue to depress the throttle. My costly solution to this problem was to buy a Mercedes based motorhome which so far has functioned perfectly.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't this is the issue as I was driving most of the time on cruise control without my feet on the pedals. It is also just a second and feels like your are driving on a rope that hang on the car...
Could it be something to do with the Start/Stop on or bad fuel?

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,311 Posts
Dirt in the fuel? Shouldn't be but...

I had the same BTO experience with my 2017 MH (tho probably 2016 Fiat base). Scared the wits out of me on the motorway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts